Tata Consultancy Services

2.8

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in September 2014.

Applied through university's online career portal. Received an HR phone interview with basic questions about location, salary expectations, and language familiarity, etc. After a week or so, there was an in-person interview at the job site. The in-person interview consisted of a short 10-min HR interview with similar phone interview questions followed by an technical interview. The technical interview had many unexpected questions. All the questions I would normally expect such as OOP concepts, write an algorithm, and SQL queries were not asked.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about my proficiency with Microsoft Office and then an Excel question where there's 2 columns of elements and the goal was to find the SQL left join and right join using Excel only.   View Answer
    • In SQL, the difference between procedure and function   View Answer

Computer Programmer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview process first start with formal test than there was an behavioural interview take place .
    After that they had called me for another programming interview. Computer programming question consist of mostly object oriented programming c++ . And they given about 1 hour to crack one programming question .

Interview Questions
    • in computer programming they did not ask question on specific computer programming   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

First had a technical interview and then had an HR round. In technical interview questions related to programming was asked and also the rational behind my approach.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in April 2014.

I applied for the job through LI. Got call from HR and subsequently the technical team called after a week. The HR was very friendly and was accomodative of my schedule for the interview and even the technical team was nice. The technical interview lasted for nearly an hour. They started with experience and exposure to work environment, project experience, technical skills and tools knowledge. Then they went into the key skills required for the project and asked specific technical questions in Java/J2EE/JDBC/Spring/Hibernate. The questions started from basic and went into advance levels like multithreading, exception handling , Garbage collection etc. They asked about unix shell scripts and JDBC connectivity, testing methodology and configuration management.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in April 2014.

I submitted my resume at an on campus career expo. I was contacted about 2 weeks after that. They were hiring for junior software engineers. I am an electrical engineer so this position would not have been totally in my comfort zone but since the HR said the have a 2 months training I taught that might work.

There were 3 interviewers, 1 HR and 2 Technical interviewers. there was a 15 minute HR interview followed by a 45 minute technical interview. They did not ask me to code but ask all sorts of questions, hard and simple ones about C, C++, Java, HTML5, Java script, network etc...

Sample questions:
    * whats the difference between FTP and SFTP?
    * explain the differences in detail between C, C++ and JAVA.
    * If C++ is OOP then why do we need pointers?
    * What is encapsulation?
    * what is polymorphism?
    * what is abstraction?
    * Array vs linked list?
    * etc...

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect IT and network maintenance questions, be prepared for those! They work with all languages across all platforms so be prepared, even android app development. Make sure you know the stuff you put on your resume.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in March 2014.

I was contacted by an HR person who found my resume online. The HR phone interview was easy, they want to know more about you, if you can work in Canada, your background and work history. A couple of days later I had a technical phone interview. The interview questions vary in difficulty. Be prepared for Object Oriented Programming questions: Inheritance, Abstraction, Polymorphism.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Standard quick HR phone interview, followed by on Campus interview. The campus interview was with 2 other software engineers and 1 HR employee. Went through my resume, explained my relevant experiences and discussed them. Was asked about programming language experience from Co-op and school. Asked about black/white/grey-box testing.
    Then the HR employee asked me some HR questions: Conflict Resolution w/ example, how to handle and deal with criticism w/ example, how to manage tasks with high pressure and deadlines w/ example.

No real technical interview came which was surprising.

Received another offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

applied through a friend

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in October 2013.

I applied for Java Senior Software Developer position.

First HR manager checked my desired salary, notice period and other details like work status in Canada. Then book the interview time in the same time. There were three interviewers who asked me questions. First of all, they really struggled to talk in English and sometimes they don't know how to communicate their questions. I answered all the questions properly as I know how TCS interview questions would be. The questions are average and any 3 year Java candidate could answer those questions, especially candidates like me who worked in India.

The interview went around 40-60 mins and one interviewer tipped me that I don't have web based experience (I worked only on web applications for 6yrs). Still, they mentioned that they would call me back, but never did.

I would say TCS-Canada interviews for IT positions are nothing but a fake to fool the Canadian LMO policies. In order to bring Indian workers to Canada, they have to show that TCS couldn't find local resources in Canada.

Let's assume if TCS hired you for a position and the payment is 60k, then they have to keep you forever by paying 60k and benefits. But on the other hand, TCS can bring Indian candidates by paying them same 60k. The real twist is, after 2 years they will send Indian candidates back to India. For TCS, paying 60k for 2 years is easy comparing life long payment to local (Canadian) candidates.

Don't waste your time with TCS. It's my personal option and it may vary for others.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions in Java, J2EE, Javascript, Jquery, Agile concepts. Nothing was difficult I would say.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in October 2013.

I applied through a career fair at university and got a call from HR after two weeks

Interview Questions
    • How would you solve a complex problem given to you?
      Among C and C++, which one is closer to system level?
      How is multiple inheritance allowed in C++
        View Answer