Tata Consultancy Services

17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Computer Programmer Interview

Computer Programmer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview Details – Interview process first start with formal test than there was an behavioural interview take place .
After that they had called me for another programming interview. Computer programming question consist of mostly object oriented programming c++ . And they given about 1 hour to crack one programming question .

Interview Question – in computer programming they did not ask question on specific computer programming   Answer Question

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in April 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume at an on campus career expo. I was contacted about 2 weeks after that. They were hiring for junior software engineers. I am an electrical engineer so this position would not have been totally in my comfort zone but since the HR said the have a 2 months training I taught that might work.

There were 3 interviewers, 1 HR and 2 Technical interviewers. there was a 15 minute HR interview followed by a 45 minute technical interview. They did not ask me to code but ask all sorts of questions, hard and simple ones about C, C++, Java, HTML5, Java script, network etc...

Sample questions:
* whats the difference between FTP and SFTP?
* explain the differences in detail between C, C++ and JAVA.
* If C++ is OOP then why do we need pointers?
* What is encapsulation?
* what is polymorphism?
* what is abstraction?
* Array vs linked list?
* etc...

Interview Question – I did not expect IT and network maintenance questions, be prepared for those! They work with all languages across all platforms so be prepared, even android app development. Make sure you know the stuff you put on your resume.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the job through LI. Got call from HR and subsequently the technical team called after a week. The HR was very friendly and was accomodative of my schedule for the interview and even the technical team was nice. The technical interview lasted for nearly an hour. They started with experience and exposure to work environment, project experience, technical skills and tools knowledge. Then they went into the key skills required for the project and asked specific technical questions in Java/J2EE/JDBC/Spring/Hibernate. The questions started from basic and went into advance levels like multithreading, exception handling , Garbage collection etc. They asked about unix shell scripts and JDBC connectivity, testing methodology and configuration management.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer

Interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services

Interview Details – First had a technical interview and then had an HR round. In technical interview questions related to programming was asked and also the rational behind my approach.

Interview Question – Principle of TCS something like that   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview Details – Standard quick HR phone interview, followed by on Campus interview. The campus interview was with 2 other software engineers and 1 HR employee. Went through my resume, explained my relevant experiences and discussed them. Was asked about programming language experience from Co-op and school. Asked about black/white/grey-box testing.
Then the HR employee asked me some HR questions: Conflict Resolution w/ example, how to handle and deal with criticism w/ example, how to manage tasks with high pressure and deadlines w/ example.

No real technical interview came which was surprising.

Interview Question – Explain what Black,White,and Grey Box testing is.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Received another offer.

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview Details – applied through a friend

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for Java Senior Software Developer position.

First HR manager checked my desired salary, notice period and other details like work status in Canada. Then book the interview time in the same time. There were three interviewers who asked me questions. First of all, they really struggled to talk in English and sometimes they don't know how to communicate their questions. I answered all the questions properly as I know how TCS interview questions would be. The questions are average and any 3 year Java candidate could answer those questions, especially candidates like me who worked in India.

The interview went around 40-60 mins and one interviewer tipped me that I don't have web based experience (I worked only on web applications for 6yrs). Still, they mentioned that they would call me back, but never did.

I would say TCS-Canada interviews for IT positions are nothing but a fake to fool the Canadian LMO policies. In order to bring Indian workers to Canada, they have to show that TCS couldn't find local resources in Canada.

Let's assume if TCS hired you for a position and the payment is 60k, then they have to keep you forever by paying 60k and benefits. But on the other hand, TCS can bring Indian candidates by paying them same 60k. The real twist is, after 2 years they will send Indian candidates back to India. For TCS, paying 60k for 2 years is easy comparing life long payment to local (Canadian) candidates.

Don't waste your time with TCS. It's my personal option and it may vary for others.

Interview Question – Basic questions in Java, J2EE, Javascript, Jquery, Agile concepts. Nothing was difficult I would say.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Entry Level Interview

Software Engineer Entry Level
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through a career fair at university and got a call from HR after two weeks

Interview Question – How would you solve a complex problem given to you?
Among C and C++, which one is closer to system level?
How is multiple inheritance allowed in C++
  View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview Details – Got a call from HR. She was nice and told me that she will be passing my resume into the technical team for my technical interview. That was suppose to be the day after.

I got a call two days after asking when I would be available from the technical guys. I told them the next day at a specific time. They did not call and called 2 more days after unexpectedly and demanded for me to take the tech interview on the spot while I was at work. Did that and passed it.

I got a call after 2 weeks in the morning telling me that I did well on my technical interview so they wanted me to go for an in person interview in the afternoon on the same day which I was totally not prepared for. I wasnt even dressed for it as they called me while I was at work. I tried prosponing it, but they didnt let me. I was forced to go for a same day interview. I thought the job was in mississauga, but found out then that it was actually in north york.

When i got to north york, I realized that it was an interview not with TCS internal staff but with the client which is a bank and that it was an onsite position that I had applied for. It feels so disorganized since i was finding out critical information out last minute. I went into the interview all unprepared and undressed and crashed and burned.

Got a call a week later telling me that I got turned down.

Interview Question – The difference between a unique key and a primary key within the context of an sql server.   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in June 2010.

Interview Details – First round by the superior with whom you will work. This is moderate level difficult. Next level with the client side functional manager.

Interview Question – Experience in the related field for which you are being recruited. Explaining the experience in the technology area of the proposed project.   Answer Question

Worked for Tata Consultancy Services? Contribute to the Community!