Tata Consultancy Services

Average Difficulty
216 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview Details – I approached them at a school fair. They looked over my resume and were searching for key words in the resume. Like programming languages used (especially JAVA) and GPA. Once they determined I was a candidate they scheduled a second interview. In the second interview there was two representatives interviewing. Once was a Software Engineer with the company and the other was the Campus Recruiter. They asked me questions about my likes and disliked. They also asked if I was willing to re-locate out of my area. Then they asked me questions specific to the languages that I had on my resume. Once complete I waited 3-4 weeks before they contacted me with an offer.

Interview Question – When you compile C code, when happens?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't want to move after all. They require moving, even though they had positions open in my area. They gave them to other people.

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in June 2014.

Interview Details – One behavioral interview followed by a technical interview. Both over the phone. The technical interviewer quizzed me on skills I had mentioned in my resume (Java and SQL). Study OO and SQL basics.

Interview Question – Difference between JVM and JRE, difference between Overloading and Overriding.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Richardson, TX

Interview Details – University campus presentation with refreshments and sandwiches. On-campus presentation and interview sign up. Easy technical questions in the career center. Offer-letter granted month later with only 4 days to decline or accept.

Interview Question – Easy interview. The quality of technical questions was very disappointing.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate initially. For college hires, TCS likes to lower the salary by 8% less than one month before graduation 5 months after an initial offer is accepted and signed and say "take it or leave it". Leaving it usually causes TCS to back down.

Very Easy Interview

New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview Details – The interviewing process is very relaxed and easy to pass. The mainly look for person(s) that have a 3.0 Grade Point Average minimum. As long as you show you have researched the company and have basic technical knowledge you should be fine.

Interview Question – I personally didn't have any crazy questions. I suppose the technical interview was a bit challenging. They asked me some technical questions which were easy, but, sometimes they ask to build a program, this can go from a very simple program to a bit more advanced. The most advanced (form what I hear) is making a program that detects a word being a Palindrome or not.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As this is a global company you can negotiate where in the United States you work. Its rather challenging to work outside of the united states.

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed initially at a job fair on campus. Then went in for a in person interview following week. Third week received an offer via email. Whole process was relatively pleasant .

Interview Question – Simple OOP questions. If you know OOP shouldn't be a problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate, gave me more than I was asking for.

Cincinnati, OH

I interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in February 2014.

Interview Details – Signed up through a recruiter on campus. Had two phone interviews and one in person, all extremely basic. They would have done an on campus interview with me however their schedule was booked so I only ended up doing the majority of the interview process over the phone.

Interview Question – Very basic object oriented and database questions. (what is encapsulation, what is a left join?)   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in November 2013.

Interview Details – The process was nice, initial campus HR interview, followed by Information session and Technical Interview. Technical questions weren't hard mostly related to resume asking for more information on experience and or class projects as relevant.

Interview Question – What is one out of the box solution to a problem you have encountered at work/school?   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in April 2014.

Interview Details – During the career fair I was given the opportunity to do a phone interview. After my first interview, which was the overall of the company and the basic questions about myself, I was offered a second interview.

Interview Question – What is an Index   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview Details – The initial exam is a written exam in which questions on basic reasoning are asked. This includes quantitative and qualitative reasoning. The questions can be prepared from Agarwal series or from the gre question banks

Interview Question – All questions very basic   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview Details – Met with company representatives at my university's career fair and was scheduled for an interview the next day. The interview lasted for about 40 minutes and included both behavioral questions (from an HR representative) and technical questions (from a software engineer employee). The technical questions were comprehensive over the languages that I had on my resume. If you know the languages you say you do, the questions will be easy. The interviewers were friendly and engaging.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult if you know your stuff. If you're shaky on a language, you might want to brush up on it. An example question was to describe the process of inheritance in Java (e.g. keywords and advantages).   Answer Question

Worked for Tata Consultancy Services? Contribute to the Community!