Tata Consultancy Services Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.8

234 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Spoke to a Campus Recruiter at a career fair at my university. Had the interview 3 weeks after the career fair with four interviews. The interview was very relaxed and they mostly talked about how the process of becoming a software engineer required six weeks of training in Java.
Got a call about two weeks later with an offer. No second interview required.

Was allowed to choose from about 3-4 locations to work from. No salary negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Tata Consultancy Services

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

I approached them at a school fair. They looked over my resume and were searching for key words in the resume. Like programming languages used (especially JAVA) and GPA. Once they determined I was a candidate they scheduled a second interview. In the second interview there was two representatives interviewing. Once was a Software Engineer with the company and the other was the Campus Recruiter. They asked me questions about my likes and disliked. They also asked if I was willing to re-locate out of my area. Then they asked me questions specific to the languages that I had on my resume. Once complete I waited 3-4 weeks before they contacted me with an offer.

Interview Questions

I didn't want to move after all. They require moving, even though they had positions open in my area. They gave them to other people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

University campus presentation with refreshments and sandwiches. On-campus presentation and interview sign up. Easy technical questions in the career center. Offer-letter granted month later with only 4 days to decline or accept.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interview. The quality of technical questions was very disappointing.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate initially. For college hires, TCS likes to lower the salary by 8% less than one month before graduation 5 months after an initial offer is accepted and signed and say "take it or leave it". Leaving it usually causes TCS to back down.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

The interviewing process is very relaxed and easy to pass. The mainly look for person(s) that have a 3.0 Grade Point Average minimum. As long as you show you have researched the company and have basic technical knowledge you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • I personally didn't have any crazy questions. I suppose the technical interview was a bit challenging. They asked me some technical questions which were easy, but, sometimes they ask to build a program, this can go from a very simple program to a bit more advanced. The most advanced (form what I hear) is making a program that detects a word being a Palindrome or not.   Answer Question
    As this is a global company you can negotiate where in the United States you work. Its rather challenging to work outside of the united states.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in June 2014.

first HR interview, then tech interview through skype. The HR asks general behavioral questions like why TCS, what is your strong point? The tech questions are fair, including data structures, algorithms, ect. The overall procedure is fairly easy compared with other companies. However, the offer is not provided since I am not a US citizen...

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in June 2014.

One behavioral interview followed by a technical interview. Both over the phone. The technical interviewer quizzed me on skills I had mentioned in my resume (Java and SQL). Study OO and SQL basics.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between JVM and JRE, difference between Overloading and Overriding.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in May 2014.

Interviewed initially at a job fair on campus. Then went in for a in person interview following week. Third week received an offer via email. Whole process was relatively pleasant .

Interview Questions
    • Simple OOP questions. If you know OOP shouldn't be a problem.   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate, gave me more than I was asking for.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

The initial exam is a written exam in which questions on basic reasoning are asked. This includes quantitative and qualitative reasoning. The questions can be prepared from Agarwal series or from the gre question banks

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in April 2014.

During the career fair I was given the opportunity to do a phone interview. After my first interview, which was the overall of the company and the basic questions about myself, I was offered a second interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Met with company representatives at my university's career fair and was scheduled for an interview the next day. The interview lasted for about 40 minutes and included both behavioral questions (from an HR representative) and technical questions (from a software engineer employee). The technical questions were comprehensive over the languages that I had on my resume. If you know the languages you say you do, the questions will be easy. The interviewers were friendly and engaging.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult if you know your stuff. If you're shaky on a language, you might want to brush up on it. An example question was to describe the process of inheritance in Java (e.g. keywords and advantages).   Answer Question

Worked for Tata Consultancy Services? Contribute to the Community!