Tata Consultancy Services

Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.8

251 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in November 2014.

Applied in the campus, gave them resume directly, 3 days later HR contacted me to schedule interview. In the first round, it is just about some behavior question, like why you choose this company. The second round is the technical interview, there is no coding problems, just basic conceptual things based on your resume.

Interview Questions
  • Just very basic conceptual questions based on you resume   Answer Question

better offer

Other Interview Reviews for Tata Consultancy Services

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through school, got the interview the week after. Two people ask you different questions, one the HR, simple behavioral questions. The technical person asks you about the projects and things that you listed on your resume. Before the programming questions he/she asks you what is your favorite language.
    Anyways the technical questions are pretty straight forward, simple programming questions,for example, what is operator overloading, what is the difference between C and C++, etc. I listed Linux in my resume, so if you do the same just expect them to ask you commands, for example, what is the difference between vi and vim, etc.
    Also, he asked me to write a program on a piece of paper, just a simple program, my guess is that he didn't care about the program, he focused on syntax.

Interview Questions
    • I should have expected this question, but i did not prepare for it. The technical person asked me, other than schools projects and the languages i learned. what technology i am interested in, then he continued with the technology that he currently uses in TATA.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Tata Consultancy Services did not impress me. Their recruiters were late to Skype interviews and contacted me from a different time zone without tell me.

I contacted Tata from an email regarding an online career fair which was the equivalent of a chat room. I submitted the required documents and was eventually contacted by email.

I asked for 1 pm interview but was asked at 11 am to interview because it happens that the recruiter lives on the East Coast and I lived on the West Coast.

There was an initial phone screen with Skype. This was full of personal questions and project questions:

Ex: What was your most challenging question and what did you learn from it?

STAR type questions. Very relaxed and no pressure if you had interviews before.

The next interview was a technical phone interview. The interviewer asked me very simple data structures and algorithms questions. This was done with a web app that allowed me to view the questions/information associated with the question. I remember there being questions on tree traversal which I easily got thanks to my data structures class.

Interview Questions

Bad Location of Cleveland and low salary of 57k.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in October 2014.

Met at university career fair, signed up for an interview at the recruiter there. Went to the interview the following week on campus, they called it a "java interview".

Interview Questions
    • What are five more important concepts you have learned while programming Java. It wasn't a difficult question, but a lot of the ideas mingle together so I was having a hard time separating them.   Answer Question

The salary seemed low and I still had many interviews to do with other companies. It wasn't a flat out decline, but more pending as I told them I was going to think about it.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in September 2014.

Whole process was dragged out for about two months. Initially met their HR through a virtual career fair. Sent in an application via email and asked to do a Skype interview a couple of weeks afterward. Well, the first two Skype interviews were rescheduled, then fell through because they had "issues with their Skype". Finally contacted again after about two weeks and did the Skype interview. Mostly further questions about the resume and some questions about why Tata, what do you expect to gain from this position, etc. Contacted again a week and a half later with a GPA calculation form. Received a phone call immediately after sending it in, saying they would send an offer within two weeks. Unusually did not get technical interview. Waiting to hear back.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Spoke to a Campus Recruiter at a career fair at my university. Had the interview 3 weeks after the career fair with four interviews. The interview was very relaxed and they mostly talked about how the process of becoming a software engineer required six weeks of training in Java.
    Got a call about two weeks later with an offer. No second interview required.

Was allowed to choose from about 3-4 locations to work from. No salary negotiation.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

I approached them at a school fair. They looked over my resume and were searching for key words in the resume. Like programming languages used (especially JAVA) and GPA. Once they determined I was a candidate they scheduled a second interview. In the second interview there was two representatives interviewing. Once was a Software Engineer with the company and the other was the Campus Recruiter. They asked me questions about my likes and disliked. They also asked if I was willing to re-locate out of my area. Then they asked me questions specific to the languages that I had on my resume. Once complete I waited 3-4 weeks before they contacted me with an offer.

Interview Questions

I didn't want to move after all. They require moving, even though they had positions open in my area. They gave them to other people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

University campus presentation with refreshments and sandwiches. On-campus presentation and interview sign up. Easy technical questions in the career center. Offer-letter granted month later with only 4 days to decline or accept.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interview. The quality of technical questions was very disappointing.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate initially. For college hires, TCS likes to lower the salary by 8% less than one month before graduation 5 months after an initial offer is accepted and signed and say "take it or leave it". Leaving it usually causes TCS to back down.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

The interviewing process is very relaxed and easy to pass. The mainly look for person(s) that have a 3.0 Grade Point Average minimum. As long as you show you have researched the company and have basic technical knowledge you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • I personally didn't have any crazy questions. I suppose the technical interview was a bit challenging. They asked me some technical questions which were easy, but, sometimes they ask to build a program, this can go from a very simple program to a bit more advanced. The most advanced (form what I hear) is making a program that detects a word being a Palindrome or not.   Answer Question
    As this is a global company you can negotiate where in the United States you work. Its rather challenging to work outside of the united states.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in June 2014.

One behavioral interview followed by a technical interview. Both over the phone. The technical interviewer quizzed me on skills I had mentioned in my resume (Java and SQL). Study OO and SQL basics.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between JVM and JRE, difference between Overloading and Overriding.   Answer Question