Tate & Lyle

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Tate & Lyle

Interview Details – Take a 3 hour aptitude/skills test along with other applicants. Test includes math skills, thinking skills, mechanical aptitude, visual comprehension, etc.

If you pass the test you will be scheduled for an interview. The interview was a few weeks after the test.

The interview is usually conducted by two groups of two people, some in management, and some representing the union officials.

After a successful interview a job offer is extended.

There is a week-long orientation process before being placed within the plant (you have no say which department you're going)

Interview Question – The most important thing they are looking for is a familiarity or at least a commitment to a safety regime since the number one buzzword in the plant is "safety." Do not tell stories that demonstrate risky behavior, aversion to authority, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Pay is per union contract.

Very Easy Interview

Dayton, OH

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Tate & Lyle in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied nearly six months before even being called. After that you go through two round robin style interviews. They last about three hours each. After that things move very quickly

Negotiation Details – It is all union so no negotiations are done.Pay is grEAAAAT

Lafayette, IN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Tate & Lyle in March 2012.

Interview Details – Intimidating. Multiple people interviewed together

Interview Question – What exactly does Tate and Lyle do here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Working hours

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Process Development Engineer Interview

Process Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tate & Lyle.

Interview Details – Very friendly.

Interview Question – How will you help us?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Decatur, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tate & Lyle.

Interview Details – First a college interview by two people. Followed by an invitation for a plant tour and more interviews. A total of 9+ people interviews 1:1 and as a group. Each had different questions about our experience, interest and education.

Interview Question – The question relating to the corn smell in the plant was difficult to answer because it was a smell you didn't expect.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Decatur, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tate & Lyle in March 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed initially by Operations Senior VP, followed by other various VP's and directors. HR will also be included, All questions are very simmilar and all answers will be reviewed as a group.

Interview Question – What does integrity mean to you and give an example of you have applied it,
How would you size a heat exchanger.
Draw a pump curve on the white board.
  Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Lafayette, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tate & Lyle in June 2009.

Interview Details – it was a phone interview with a recruiter and then i believe a phone screen with the plant manager and hiring manager and then an onsite interview. met some of the plant team for dinner the night before at a nice restaurtant. judging by the way they were dressed these folks were some hillbillies. and i do not mean that in a derogative way, its just that i dont know of many fast food places that allow you to wear cut off shirts to dinner? since when is a cut off shirt "professional?" i knew from that, that this company culture and i were not a fit. the next day was the typical process; meeting with members of the team. apparently they arent used to or did not expect a black chemical engineer to be interviewing with them judging from the hostile response i received from most on the team. i guess being black and well qualified wearing a ralph lauren suit was too much for these "hoosiers." there was one asian on the team, but he thought he was white. so much for "diversity." also, this was the only company that i had an issue with getting reimbursed for interview costs. go figure.

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Tate & Lyle in February 2010.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and was invited to interview on-site. I prepared for the on-site interview and researched the company which made the interview process a lot easier. I found out after the interview that they would only reimburse me for the airfare and the hotel. I had to absorb all other costs.

Interview Question – What position do you expect to have 5 years from now?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – No relocation was offered and the salary was lower than my current salary

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Tate & Lyle.

Interview Details – Initially interviewed for the transformation programme, however due to limited business transformation knowledge on the part of the main hiring manager the interview process got stalled.

I was then invited back for further interview within the company for normal project management duties, but still with the same set of criteria and requirements as for the transformation programme.

Very lengthy interview process and it seems the norm to be interviewed by 5/6 people either simultaneously or in sequence.

The interview process in general is what you expect from a FTSE100 company, competency based questions and scenarios of previous experiences and knowledge.

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Tate & Lyle.

Interview Details – Met with HR Manager and EA, then chat with Hiring Manager. Standard interview questions about background, experience and skills. Chat about culture fit and expectations of role.

Worked for Tate & Lyle? Contribute to the Community!