Taunton Press Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.4

Web Producer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Taunton Press.

Go through many rounds of interviews, but everyone is very nice. Took a month to get through whole process, but they were very flexible about scheduling and start date.

Interview Questions
    • Questioned about the state of the current website and how it could be improved.   Answer Question

Copy/Production Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newtown, CT

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Taunton Press.

I had two interviews. The first was with the person who would go on to hire me and with another senior staff member. It also included a copyediting test. The second included an HR rep and another member of the staff. Both interviews were professional but casual and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • My interviews were substantive, but I don't recall an especially difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Advertising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newtown, CT

I applied through other source – interviewed at Taunton Press in May 2011.

Difficult to get your foot in the door, once you do, you will interview with many people over the course of 2-3 different visits. Follow up your resume submission with phone calls.

Interview Questions
    • "We aren't looking for publishers. Becoming a publisher isn't your goal, is it?"   Answer Question

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newtown, CT

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Taunton Press in July 2010.

It took several weeks to get a response. The initial communication was from an assistant to set up a phone interview. When I asked if there was anything special they wanted me to prepare, the answer was no. Kind of a tip-off that they weren't seriously interested. I prepared by researching the competition and reviewing back issues. Pointless. The phone interview was brief and focused on the low salary (upper thirties to low forties) and availability for travel. There was no sense of enthusiasm for the position or the company as a whole--just a sense of going through the motions. Although I was led to believe otherwise, there was no further contact, not even an email rejection.

Given the cost of living in the area and the low salaries offered, the high turnover isn't surprising. If you're considering a position with Taunton, you'll need either a trust fund or a high-earning spouse to survive in Fairfield County. If you're a single parent, be prepared to struggle and keep those moving boxes handy because your stay is unlikely to be long.

In less than a year, the position was open again along with many others. I'm not sure whether they routinely show employees the door or if the staff is beating a path to the exit.

Interview Questions
    • The salary is in the upper thirties to low forties, is this acceptable?   View Answer

Associate Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Taunton Press in May 2010.

Initial interview, trial run, and HR interview went very quickly and was very professional. Final decision-making process was frustrating - took over 3 months.

Editorial and creative was very interested in having me join their team. It was a pleasure working with everyone. The environment was ideal. It felt like a good fit. Alas, my take-away from the process is that HR was concerned with my coming on board at the top tier for the salary offered.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be able to support yourself on a lower income than you're currently making?   View Answer

Assistant Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Taunton Press.

Phone interview followed by in person interviews with publisher, managing editor and then lunch with some of the editorial staff. .

No negotiation.

New Product Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Taunton Press in February 2010.

Met with SVP of Marketing. Many changes in company recently since company and industry are in the midst of needing to move beyond advertising and circulation revenue to new revenue streams.They are trying to move to increased digital and new product development. At interview, reviewed background and needs of postion being filled. Positive feedback on interview and follow-up letter. Received letter three weeks later declining further discussions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel are your biggest strengths for this job are?   Answer Question