Taycor Financial Summer Job Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Summer Job Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Taycor Financial in April 2012.

I first learned about Taycor Financial on LionJobs, my university's career website. The job title was simply "Flexible hours, easy work," and I was able to apply online directly through LionJobs by submitting my resume. The very next morning I received a phone call from the supervisor, who was extremely friendly. He wished to schedule an interview as soon as possible but was understanding about the fact that I had final exams coming up. We arranged an interview for the next week, about one week after I had initially submitted the resume.

The interview itself went great. I was nervous because I hadn't been interviewed for a job since high school, but the supervisor was just as friendly in person as he was on the phone. He first complimented me on my resume and even pointed out the one slight technical flaw it had so I could make it even better. He then asked me to tell him a bit about myself. Next, he explained the basics of the company to me - what they do, why they do it, and how they do it. I had researched the company beforehand to get a sense of it but even a candidate who knew nothing about Taycor would have gained a perfect understanding of it after listening to his explanation.

He went on to describe, in a very honest manner, what my particular job would entail. He used the metaphor of building a spaceship: if you instruct one person to build a spaceship, they will have to learn an impossible number of skills and perform an equally impossible number of tasks to complete the ship. But, if you instruct hundreds of different people to learn just one skill and perform that specific task, the process has now become much more efficient and realistic. He also compared it to an assembly line. He made it clear that my job would be comparable to "tightening a bolt over and over" on the "spaceship", and that if I was not interested in performing the same relatively mundane task over and over for days on end, then I should not take this job. I really appreciated his honesty. When I asked what kind of task I might have to do, he gave me two straightforward examples: collecting the logos of vendors off of their websites, or evaluating vendors' websites to see if they are a company that would be profitable for Taycor to work with.

Of course I was not thrilled at the prospect of doing something so menial for days on end but Taycor seemed promising. I felt Taycor was definitely about to experience a lot of growth and that being a part of it would be a great experience. The pay is also quite good for such a simple job. Additionally, the supervisor mentioned that he really did mean it when he said "flexible hours" - if summer school got stressful and I needed a long weekend or needed to call it a day in order to study, he would gladly accommodate me. This is almost unheard of in a job and is obviously very appealing to a college student. So despite the relative unattractiveness of the job description itself, I found myself wanting to accept the offer.

There was one added benefit for me in particular - the supervisor noticed I had put down writing as one of my skills on my resume and wondered if perhaps I could contribute to some of the marketing that Taycor was starting to focus on. Being involved in press releases etc. really excited me. He even said that it could possibly provide me with a chance to climb up a step from the "bolt-tightening" position (though this wasn't for certain at all). Walking into the interview, I didn't think I would be given an opportunity to be involved in marketing or even use my writing skills at all, so this was the highest point of the interview for me. I enjoyed that the supervisor was open-minded and noticed a skill perhaps irrelevant for the actual job he was offering and instead thought of a place in the company where I could apply that skill.

He left me with an open offer and the option to take a week to think about it. I told him I had a couple more job interviews coming up and he urged me to take a better job if it came along. He also encouraged me to send him writing samples and even said that I may still be able to contribute some writing to Taycor despite committing to another job as my main job. I did not actually have many relevant writing samples on my current computer (i.e., news releases, reviews, how-to articles) so he said this wasn't a problem and that I could simply write a review here on glassdoor.com. I could tell he genuinely wanted me to excel, which was refreshing coming from someone who I had just met and who could have easily tricked me into accepting a job that would not utilize my skill set at all. I hope I can accept the offer to work at Taycor, even if it is just contributing to the writing and marketing.

Overall, I appreciated the kindness, flexibility, clarity, and most importantly honesty that I encountered during this interview process with Taycor Financial. I would recommend any interested candidate to pursue a job at this company.

Interview Questions
  • What do you want to do with your psychology major?   View Answer