Teach For India Fellow Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2015
Updated Mar 14, 2015

3.2

Fellow Interview

Submission of application followed by a phone interview- mostly behavioral followed by a assessment session- includes a 5 min teaching sample, interview and 2 role-plays as well as a problem solving test.

Interview Questions
  • How will you deal with a class that is succeeding differentially.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach For India

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach For India in February 2011.

The assesment day consisted of two parts- a short lesson of 5 minutes and a final 1:1 interview of 40 minutes.

The 5 minutes lesson went well and when I went for the interview there was only one interviewer. She was asking me questions and also typing herself in her laptop which was little uncomfortable to me as I wasn't sure if she was listening me properly.

Interview Questions
    • Describe yourself?   View Answer
    • A hypotetical situation: you are a teacher in a school teaching 3rd graders and your principal hasn't hired an english teacher even when he promised that he would soon. how would you convinve him?   View Answer

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach For India in March 2015.

The selection process consists of four stages:
    1. Filling an online application form. You are asked for an extensive resume highlighting your leadership skills, a few questions about your most challenging moment, strengths, weaknesses etc., and a couple of essays about education and Teach for India.
    2. Online aptitude test.
    3. Once your application is selected, there is a phone interview (of half an hour duration).
    4. If you are through, you are invited to the assessment centre for day-long procedures:
    a) Sample teaching activity
    b) Group discussion
    c) Written aptitude test
    d) Post the midday assessment, if you are selected, you appear for the personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1. In the online application, you are asked for an extensive resume highlighting your leadership skills, a few questions about your most challenging moment, strengths, weaknesses etc., and a couple of essays about education and Teach for India.
      2. In the online test, there are two sections - One of english grammar and comprehension and another on logical reasoning and mathematical aptitude. Pretty basic stuff but watch the time.
      3. In the phone interview, you are basically questioned in detail about your resume and your answers in the online application form.
      4. In the assessment centre activities,
      a) Sample teaching plan: You are informed of four options for the sample teaching activity upfront and you can pick one of them. Ex: Mathematics for Grade 2, Science for Grade 4 etc.
      b) Group discussion: Pretty basic. We were asked to act as fellows and arrive at a proposal on how to spend our funds.
      c) Written aptitude test: Similar to the online test earlier but no english questions. Mostly teaching related passages and reasoning / DI questions based on the passages.
      d) Personal interview: Bunch of behavioural + resume questions, couple of short role playing situations.

Answer Question

Fellow Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach For India.

Online applicatoin --> Telephonic interview (only if necessary) --> Assessment Center

Online applications are to be submitted as per deadlines indicated on the website.

Within 2-3 weeks a notification for either telephonic interview or invitation to assessment center is received.

At the assessment center there is a 5 min teaching skills test followed by a GD and aptitude test. At the end if cleared all three rounds then there will be a personal interview which will include a role play.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Teach For India in December 2012.

They have an online application with deadline , where we need to fill an autobiographical form . IT is so detailed and comprehensive to sum up your whole life . It it gets shortlisted we are called for Face to face round . Which is whole day long . We go for introduction round then we take up a 5 minutes lesson plan and go for a 5 minutes long teaching session . It is elimination round and then if selected we are called for GD and a short written test . followed by a personal round of interview .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach For India in March 2012.

The process begins with a typical online application, very similar to graduate school applications. You have to detail your academic and leadership record. There are also two essay questions. The assessment day began with a teaching presentation, followed by a 40 minute interview. A variety of questions are asked, to guage one's ability and interest in the program. The interviewer referred back to my essays to frame a couple of questions.

Interview Questions
    • We disagree with your ideas about measuring student performance. We rely on quantitative figures to assess improvement. Please explain your perspective.   View Answer
    • Why teach for india? why not other teaching positions.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Teach For India in February 2012.

The first step is the online application which is pretty long and subjective so spend a lot of time thinking about the answers before submitting it.Then comes the group discussion part, participate well in that. After that 5 minutes of sample teaching in which they see your skills as a teacher. Finally, interview which is very subjective. They focus on your planning and time management which is very crucial to them.

Interview Questions
    • How do you plan your work?   View Answer
    • A challenging time in your life and how did you deal with it   View Answer

Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach For India in March 2010.

1st round: online application
    2nd round: phone interview
    3rd round: assessment center - final round consists of 5 minute teaching sample, group discussion, question answer session, one on one interviews. Each part is measuring different aspects. But I think the one on one interview which is 1 hour long is the most important. They keep emphasizing the fact that it is not a competitive hiring process. If they find all are good, then all will be recruited. The one on one interview includes a role play.
    The group discussion is quite competitive with 8-12 people in every group. You are given articles to read before the interview. So the discussion basically involves a problem solving activity which is based on some of the information from the article/s.
    They are looking to see whether or not you can do the job, but beyond that also how passionate you are about this 2 year teaching commitment.
    Key questions in the one on one interview: Why Teach For India? Why Teach? Describe a day in your life.
    The interviewers tend to focus on your leadership positions on your resume or from the written application. They want to know how you led, the impact you had, your success as a leader.
    In the teaching sample segment they are extremely strict about the 5 minute time limit and the one minute set-up. They will just not listen to a word after the 5 minute mark. Be prepared to answer questions while you teach. If none of the participants (other interviewees ask them), then the interviewers will jump in.
    In the group discussion however, the interviewers (usually 2) do not get involved in the discussion at all, or for that matter don't mediate also. They simply sit, observe and take notes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Teach For India in January 2010.

1.Online application which included many essays and information about my education and career (if any)
    2. Assessment centre where participants were asked to present a 1) 5 minute lesson plan assuming they are teaching kids in school 2)group discussion 3)case study 4)Data interpretation and finally 5) a long personal interview