Teach For India

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Teach For India in February 2011.

Interview Details – The assesment day consisted of two parts- a short lesson of 5 minutes and a final 1:1 interview of 40 minutes.

The 5 minutes lesson went well and when I went for the interview there was only one interviewer. She was asking me questions and also typing herself in her laptop which was little uncomfortable to me as I wasn't sure if she was listening me properly.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself?   View Answer
  • A hypotetical situation: you are a teacher in a school teaching 3rd graders and your principal hasn't hired an english teacher even when he promised that he would soon. how would you convinve him?   View Answer

Fellow

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach For India.

Interview Details – Online applicatoin --> Telephonic interview (only if necessary) --> Assessment Center

Online applications are to be submitted as per deadlines indicated on the website.

Within 2-3 weeks a notification for either telephonic interview or invitation to assessment center is received.

At the assessment center there is a 5 min teaching skills test followed by a GD and aptitude test. At the end if cleared all three rounds then there will be a personal interview which will include a role play.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Delhi (India)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Teach For India in February 2012.

Interview Details – The first step is the online application which is pretty long and subjective so spend a lot of time thinking about the answers before submitting it.Then comes the group discussion part, participate well in that. After that 5 minutes of sample teaching in which they see your skills as a teacher. Finally, interview which is very subjective. They focus on your planning and time management which is very crucial to them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mumbai (India)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Teach For India in March 2012.

Interview Details – The process begins with a typical online application, very similar to graduate school applications. You have to detail your academic and leadership record. There are also two essay questions. The assessment day began with a teaching presentation, followed by a 40 minute interview. A variety of questions are asked, to guage one's ability and interest in the program. The interviewer referred back to my essays to frame a couple of questions.

Interview Questions

• We disagree with your ideas about measuring student performance. We rely on quantitative figures to assess improvement. Please explain your perspective.   View Answer
  • Why teach for india? why not other teaching positions.   View Answer

Mumbai (India)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Teach For India in January 2010.

Interview Details – 1.Online application which included many essays and information about my education and career (if any)
2. Assessment centre where participants were asked to present a 1) 5 minute lesson plan assuming they are teaching kids in school 2)group discussion 3)case study 4)Data interpretation and finally 5) a long personal interview

Fellow

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach For India in March 2010.

Interview Details – 1st round: online application
2nd round: phone interview
3rd round: assessment center - final round consists of 5 minute teaching sample, group discussion, question answer session, one on one interviews. Each part is measuring different aspects. But I think the one on one interview which is 1 hour long is the most important. They keep emphasizing the fact that it is not a competitive hiring process. If they find all are good, then all will be recruited. The one on one interview includes a role play.
The group discussion is quite competitive with 8-12 people in every group. You are given articles to read before the interview. So the discussion basically involves a problem solving activity which is based on some of the information from the article/s.
They are looking to see whether or not you can do the job, but beyond that also how passionate you are about this 2 year teaching commitment.
Key questions in the one on one interview: Why Teach For India? Why Teach? Describe a day in your life.
The interviewers tend to focus on your leadership positions on your resume or from the written application. They want to know how you led, the impact you had, your success as a leader.
In the teaching sample segment they are extremely strict about the 5 minute time limit and the one minute set-up. They will just not listen to a word after the 5 minute mark. Be prepared to answer questions while you teach. If none of the participants (other interviewees ask them), then the interviewers will jump in.
In the group discussion however, the interviewers (usually 2) do not get involved in the discussion at all, or for that matter don't mediate also. They simply sit, observe and take notes.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Teach For India? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach For India Fellow interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Teach For India employees and interview candidates.