Teach For India Interview Questions

3.3

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach For India in February 2011.

The assesment day consisted of two parts- a short lesson of 5 minutes and a final 1:1 interview of 40 minutes.

The 5 minutes lesson went well and when I went for the interview there was only one interviewer. She was asking me questions and also typing herself in her laptop which was little uncomfortable to me as I wasn't sure if she was listening me properly.

Interview Questions
    • Describe yourself?   View Answer
    • A hypotetical situation: you are a teacher in a school teaching 3rd graders and your principal hasn't hired an english teacher even when he promised that he would soon. how would you convinve him?   View Answer

Fellow, Teach for India Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach For India in October 2014.

Online test which comprised questions from QA,LR,DI and English. After that an online application from in which personal details had to be filled in. Also a couple of essays on topics such as " What is your idea of excellent education ?". Some questions such as "the most challenging thing you have done" , " tell us about an incident in which you displayed your leadership abilities/ took initiative" .
    After this there is a day long assessment center which consists of:
    1. 5 min. teaching demo
    2. Case study based GD
    3. Critical reasoning + DI
    Short-listing is done after these three processes.
    Personal interview of around 1 hour duration. Mostly questions like
    "why did you choose to work with TFI?"
    "how did you find the process which you went through in morning session?"
    "what were the challenges you faced during preparing for the teaching demo?"
    "give an example of a task for which you had to do a lot of planning and how did you go about doing that"
    "give an example of a goal that you set for yourself and were able to achieve it/ how did you work towards achieving that goal?"
    couple of role playing situations in which the interview assumes the role of a parent of one of the students. you need to convince the parent to help in volunteering or convince him to send his child for after school classes for performing arts or sports activities.
    Overall process is very enriching. During the morning session they show you a presentation about the education inequality in India. The facts presented are simply mind boggling. The statistics about the drop out percentages, the infrastructure challenges etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected if you are aware about the role-playing. They mostly want to be sure about your commitment to the program.   View Answer

Fellow 2015-17 Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach For India in October 2014.

It starts with filling up an online application form where you've to answer 3-4 questions as descriptively as possible. Then if your application gets selected, you go through a phone interview(or not).The call can last up to half an hour and you're asked about your application and some questions based on your leadership roles, challenges faced, HR, etc. If you qualify this round, you're called to the Assessment Center (AC). You get to choose the location and date. Here you have to:
    -> give a sample lesson plan of 5 mins
    -> be a part of group case study based on some school-related issue
    -> give a critical thinking ability test of 20 mins, based on a few statistical data
    The combined result of these three is considered for elimination. In case you qualify it, you go for a PI, which can last for more than an hour. Questions based on your application, motivation, leadership roles, belief in the movement, basic HR, time management, etc are asked. A small role play is also done in this round, where you have to convince someone for a favor/ work; it's always school-related.
    The whole process is very detailed yet simple, you just have to be yourself. Keep calm throughout the process, be spontaneous and you'll be fine. All the best.

Interview Questions
    • Critical thinking test can be a bit difficult. You have to be as fast and accurate as possible, this round is tricky. Also, role plays in the last round are unexpected but it isn't difficult, if you have good convincing skills.   Answer Question
    Fixed stipend. No negotiation for fellows.

Alumni Impact Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach For India.

I filled the online form which asked questions like "What do you think of the TFI model?", "Why do you think you fit this role?". A couple of days later the HR from Mumbai sent me a mail saying that someone will get in touch with me. No one did for up to 10 days. After I followed up with the Mumbai HR, the local city HR immediately fixed a video conference interview with her and another Mumbai HR. The video interview started off well, then turned into a disaster. Their internet speed was pathetic. The city HR kept freezing onscreen from time to time and the Mumbai HR just couldn't get onto the video call. Next, we tried conference call over phone and the call kept getting dropped while i was speaking. Then they asked me to come down to the local city office if I was free that day/next day. I went for a face to face with the city HR the next day and the Mumbai HR was supposed to be on speaker, but she couldn't hear me. So the city HR and I kept passing the Tata Walky phone between ourselves so the Mumbai HR could hear her ask me the question and hear me give the answer. The Tata Walky phone conked off in between and we switched over to a mobile phone.The whole process was absurd, distracting and flustered me. It broke the natural flow of the interview for me and I couldn't give my best.

To the HR - Please make the interview process organized and professional.

Intern- Senior Secondary Classroom Subordinate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

I applied online – interviewed at Teach For India in April 2014.

I filled an online Application form which was available on the TFI website. On the basis of application form I got selected after which I got a call for an interview, where they also told me to be ready with the essay 'How will I contribute to TFI Classroom? ' I was supposed to mail this essay to the interviewer. Next day the online interview held. The interviewer liked my answers and my essay and hence I was selected.

Interview Questions
    • How will you contribute to TFI (Teach for India) classroom?   Answer Question

Fellow, Teach for India Interview

Applied to Teach for India in February. Had my interview on Sunday in Gurgaon. First was an icebreaker session where we got to know each other. After that, a short written test, a group discussion and a sample teaching session. The written test consisted of dealing with data a teacher might deal with, for instance, a table of students with their scores in various subjects and accompanying factors, you are asked to relate the data and factors according to the questions. The GD was a non competitive GD where the objective was to come to a mutual conclusion. One must remember that the selection is non competitive. They have a bar, if u cross that, u are selected.

Then there was the interview, where i was asked why TFI, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Roleplaying as a teacher in a low income school, various challenges and what solutions would you give.   Answer Question

Fellow, Teach for India Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach For India.

The interview was pretty cool. They asked questions like why Teach for India , do you like teaching etc. They focused a lot on challenges faced in college. They also give a role play typically focusing on a school scenario which happens in TFI schools. There are no stress questions.

Interview Questions
    • What were the challenges you faced and how did you deal with them ?   Answer Question

Fellow 2014-2016 Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach For India.

Was interviewed on Skype. Good and understanding person. Easy to talk to and was very patient with the technical goof ups of skype/google hangout.

Interview Questions

I want to stay in the corporate sector and the prospects don't look good as per the online reviews.

Operations Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach For India.

There are 2 - 3 interviews over a period of 1 month sometimes. It starts with a basic HR interview and then technical round to assess for the role you are applying for. The interview is a mix of role play, life situations and personality assessment.

Usually people do not negotiate thinking it is an NGO, but there is scope to negotiate for what you think you should be paid, they will oblige if they feel you are worth it. This is only for staff positions. Fellowship is fixed stipend.

TFI Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied online – interviewed at Teach For India in March 2013.

TFI calls for applications. Thereafter, you may have to go for a brief phone interview concerning mainly to your interest in TFI.
    Next they call you for a selection process whereby you have to demonstrate your teaching skills by a 5 min. sample teaching plan followed by GD and then data interpretation round. If you get through these you are then called for the final interview process.