Teach for America

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

2013 Corps Member Interview

2013 Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

Interview Details – Teach for America has five cycles of over month long interviewing sessions per year, the timeline for which is all available on their website. In sum, it starts with an online application, continues to a phone interview, and culminates in a final, in person interview.

Interview Question – Have you ever missed a deadline?
Do you regret any decision that you have made in the past?
What would make you quit teaching?
Which is more important - creating a supportive environment for your students or expecting high academic performance?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was initially placed in a region that, for personal reasons, I could not move to. Initially the Teach for America representatives told me that region location placements were final, and too many people asked for switch requests for them to be able to accommodate any of them - either I had to move where they had placed me or I should not accept their offer. But when I more thoroughly explained why I had to be placed in another city, and showed them competing job offers I had gotten from other teaching programs, they switched me to my top choice city. If you have a legitimate reason for why you need to live in one part of the country over the other, and you are confidant that you will be a valuable addition to the corps, do not be afraid to ask for a transfer, or to keep asking if they first say no.

2013 Corps Member Interview

2013 Corps Member
Hanover, NH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2012.

Interview Details – I skipped over the phone interview and went right to the final day interview. It started early in the morning--12 applicants and 2 recruiters in the room. We first went around and did our lesson plans with the interviewees and recruiters pretending to be students. We then broke into 2 groups to do the group interviews--we were asked to analyze a scenario in a school and what should be done to address the problems, etc. We then received a role play scenario to prepare for (e.g. you play teacher and recruiter plays reluctant principal), and we signed up for time slots to do the individual interview, which involved typical interview questions and the role play. I remember being asked to elaborate upon one of my past experiences, why I wanted to join TFA, and how I stay organized. During the entire interview, the recruiter was typing down basically everything I said while responding in a very friendly manner.

Interview Question – What would cause you to quit TFA?   View Answer

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!