Teach for America Corp Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Application with a few short response prompts, phone interview, online activity, then final day with 5 min. mock lesson, group discussion/project, and 1 on 1 interview. Entire process took about 3 months from initial application to final notification. Phone interview went well and was relatively relaxed, but 1 on 1 in person interview was a lot more challenging and intimidating. They repeated a few of the same questions from the phone interview, which got a little confusing because it wasn't clear if they wanted the same answer again or something different. Overall still a nice experience, and I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity.

Interview Questions
  • Talk about a time when you failed at something and how you responded to that.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Disliked phone interview, interrogation style. Final, in person interview was filled with group activities. I enjoyed the micro teach, but the group work was chaotic. There were about 15 people interviewing and everyone was trying to talk over one another. After I got the offer, I literally was called three times a day. They can be incredibly aggressive and this attitude ultimately made me not accept the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview: Asked extreme detail about of my previous jobs. A lot of how I felt and why I reacted that way.   Answer Question

Incredibly aggressive recruitment technique. I did not feel respected and got some bad vibes.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Very long process: applied in December, decision not available till March. Three rounds of interview: Phone interview, online interview/quiz, final interview at a local university. Final interview was very straightforward. TFA does good job at laying out the expectations of the final interview. Final interview requires a 5-minute lesson plan where you can teach whatever you want. be creative and engaging. Don't just sit there and speak.

Interview Questions
    • Why TFA? Why not another teaching organization like Fellows?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Got contacted by on-campus recruiter and was told to apply. I applied, didn't have to do a phone interview, and was moved on to the final interview. The final interview was in group format and they gave us a scenario to discuss and a quick 5 minute teaching lesson. After that, we had one on one interviews with our group interview facilitators.

Interview Questions

I felt like I wanted to do something else with my career projectile and if I didn't have a great passion for TFA after the interview process then I probably shouldn't waste their time by not putting my all into being a corps member.

Corps Member Interview

Interview process took over a month, but it was a great experience. You get to learn about the organization and how you can make an impact. Make sure you express your passion and be involved in the group portion of the interview. Be confident and you will do well!

Corps Member Interview

First step is application, basic information and then 3 questions. If you advance, there is a phone interview which they ask you basic experience and education. If advance after that, you will have a final interview day consisting of a 5 minute lesson plan, group discussion, and additional interview. Be creative for class lesson

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

sample teach, group interview, solo interview. The interview took about 3 hours with two interviewers, and about 12 other applicants. The environment was very casual, and applicants had to both act as teachers for their lessons and students for the other lessons. About half the applicants were from my university, and the other half were adults from the area.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Completed an online application. Then got selected for a phone interview where I was asked basic questions regarding my answers on the online application. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I got a final in-person interview. My interview took place virtually. It was broken up into group activities, teaching simulation, and one-on-one interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

An online application, phone screening (which I skipped), and an in-person, group/1-on-1 interview. University recruiters gave ample opportunities to learn about TFA and speak with TFA alum. The final interview can be intimidating, but I think the group setting put everyone at ease. PRACTICE your presentation. They are strict with the time-limit. One minute to set up and five minutes to present. Engage with the other group members, all of whom will play along and be supportive. Make it fun if you can.

Interview Questions
    • One scenario asked us to choose between closing a school and or laying off teachers. In a fish bowl setting, interviewers watched us figure out this scenario in a group and present to everyone else.   View Answer
    • How might you respond when things get difficult in the classroom?   Answer Question
    You provide your placement preferences (up to ten cities/regions) and your subject/grade level preferences. Should you get an offer, there is absolutely no room for negotiation with your placement city. Because TFA is like a hiring agency, they do no place you in a school directly.

After you're accepted, you place a reformatted resume into their resume bank, from which schools in your city will view various first-year corps members to interview. Your subject/grade level placement will depend on the actual school you end up working for, and they determine staffing based on their own specific needs.