Teach for America Corp Member Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

-Initial application -- essay, background questions -Phone interview -- focus on achievement gap and if they think you'll stay in education for longer than the two years. More likely to choose people who are -Person interview -- one on one, group interview activity, sample teaching lesson. Prepare something you know well

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Rigorous. I skipped the phone interview. Teach For America wants to see that you've been a leader in your classroom. Teach For America also likes to see data and numbers to quantify the accomplishments that you've had in the leadership roles.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

3 Phase Application Process 1. An online application- a few short answers and a couple of essays 2. Phone interview- about a 30 minute skype interview (basic questions on your interest in joining the Corps) 3. In person interview- 5-minute lesson plan, followed by group work and concluding in an interview

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you took during your undergrad years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Eugene, OR) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process has several parts. The phone call is by far the easiest (this also indicates that you have made it through the initial online application), the sample teach was a foreign thing to me having no background in education, and the one on one interview the the recruiter was challenging but also my favorite portion. The sample teach may pose a problem for applicants who are unsure about planning a lesson, but I recommend contacting alumni and keeping your sample lesson objective as SIMPLE as possible. (e.g. I witnessed a wonderful sample lesson all about "What is a Noun?")

Anonymous Employee in Middletown, CT

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America (Middletown, CT) in March 2011.

Interview

You submit an application and if they like yours enough they schedule a phone interview. Once you do a phone interview they decide whether they want to invite you for the in-person interview. At the in-person interview day you present a short lesson plan to a class of other applicants and two interviewers, then do an individual interview with one of the interviewers.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Interview

It involved an online application, phone interview, online assessment, and all-day interview where you presented a mini-lesson and had a one-on-one interview. You are asked to describe yourself, how you would approach various scenarios, why you are interested in the organization.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

Interview process was straight forward. Filled out an online application and wrote a few essays. I was contacted for a first phone interview with a former corps member. The former corps member was very pleasant and easy to talk to, the entire conversation lasted about 50 minutes. The application process was all very easy and you could see your interview status online.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you faced adversity. Tell me about your organization skills   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Very friendly and kind. There is an online application an then a phone interview and then a in person interview. You will have to do a sample lesson for 5 minutes, as well.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

First is the online application, which was pretty straightforward. The next step is the phone interview. Mine took about 45 minutes and was pretty thorough, but it was very helpful later as I prepared for the final interview. My interviewer was very nice! The final interview is the last step. It begins with the sample teaching lessons. The other interviewees and interviewers (I had two) act as your students. It was pretty relaxed, but you have to be organized! The ten minute time limit is very serious. The group portion involves readings you are assigned ahead of time. Everyone was considerate and this portion was a good time to show leadership and cooperation. The final part is the one on one interview. It was very similar to the phone interview, I was even asked a few of the exact same questions. My interviewer was very nice and made me feel comfortable. She focused on one service activity that I had participated in the longest.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Raleigh, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

Long, but liberating process of hard work! Very interesting and fun! Complete application online, with personal intent, recommendations, and resume. Phone interview first, then presentation (teaching), then one-on-one interview! Excellent interviewing process but remember to recruit differently because many CM's do not make it their full two years.

Interview Questions

• Asking your principal about a trip, without the funds, and without principal wanting to give his or her blessing. What would you do?   1 Answer