Teach for America Corp Member Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

First is the online application, which was pretty straightforward. The next step is the phone interview. Mine took about 45 minutes and was pretty thorough, but it was very helpful later as I prepared for the final interview. My interviewer was very nice! The final interview is the last step. It begins with the sample teaching lessons. The other interviewees and interviewers (I had two) act as your students. It was pretty relaxed, but you have to be organized! The ten minute time limit is very serious. The group portion involves readings you are assigned ahead of time. Everyone was considerate and this portion was a good time to show leadership and cooperation. The final part is the one on one interview. It was very similar to the phone interview, I was even asked a few of the exact same questions. My interviewer was very nice and made me feel comfortable. She focused on one service activity that I had participated in the longest.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

Interview process was straight forward. Filled out an online application and wrote a few essays. I was contacted for a first phone interview with a former corps member. The former corps member was very pleasant and easy to talk to, the entire conversation lasted about 50 minutes. The application process was all very easy and you could see your interview status online.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you faced adversity. Tell me about your organization skills   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Got contacted by on-campus recruiter and was told to apply. I applied, didn't have to do a phone interview, and was moved on to the final interview. The final interview was in group format and they gave us a scenario to discuss and a quick 5 minute teaching lesson. After that, we had one on one interviews with our group interview facilitators.

Interview Questions

I felt like I wanted to do something else with my career projectile and if I didn't have a great passion for TFA after the interview process then I probably shouldn't waste their time by not putting my all into being a corps member.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Interview process took over a month, but it was a great experience. You get to learn about the organization and how you can make an impact. Make sure you express your passion and be involved in the group portion of the interview. Be confident and you will do well!

Corps Member Interview

Interview

First step is application, basic information and then 3 questions. If you advance, there is a phone interview which they ask you basic experience and education. If advance after that, you will have a final interview day consisting of a 5 minute lesson plan, group discussion, and additional interview. Be creative for class lesson

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Evanston, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

sample teach, group interview, solo interview. The interview took about 3 hours with two interviewers, and about 12 other applicants. The environment was very casual, and applicants had to both act as teachers for their lessons and students for the other lessons. About half the applicants were from my university, and the other half were adults from the area.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Interview

Completed an online application. Then got selected for a phone interview where I was asked basic questions regarding my answers on the online application. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I got a final in-person interview. My interview took place virtually. It was broken up into group activities, teaching simulation, and one-on-one interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

An online application, phone screening (which I skipped), and an in-person, group/1-on-1 interview. University recruiters gave ample opportunities to learn about TFA and speak with TFA alum. The final interview can be intimidating, but I think the group setting put everyone at ease. PRACTICE your presentation. They are strict with the time-limit. One minute to set up and five minutes to present. Engage with the other group members, all of whom will play along and be supportive. Make it fun if you can.

Interview Questions

• One scenario asked us to choose between closing a school and or laying off teachers. In a fish bowl setting, interviewers watched us figure out this scenario in a group and present to everyone else.   1 Answer
    • How might you respond when things get difficult in the classroom?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You provide your placement preferences (up to ten cities/regions) and your subject/grade level preferences. Should you get an offer, there is absolutely no room for negotiation with your placement city. Because TFA is like a hiring agency, they do no place you in a school directly. After you're accepted, you place a reformatted resume into their resume bank, from which schools in your city will view various first-year corps members to interview. Your subject/grade level placement will depend on the actual school you end up working for, and they determine staffing based on their own specific needs.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Began with an online interview, and was then invited to a phone interview. The recruiting manager of my area was very involved with my whole application, and we had a phone meeting as well as an online group meeting for the people who had been invited for phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• I would say about 80% of the interview questions were about one activity that I had listed on my resume (i.e., Tell me about a time that you faced adversity.. in the context of ___.)   Answer Question