Teach for America

Average Difficulty
115 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – written application, Phone interview and then final interview

Interview Question – What was your most difficult class in college?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2010.

Interview Details – Three phases: online application (with a response to a video, essays and personal statements on education); phone interview (which I and some people skip); and group interview (sample lesson, logic test, group work, 1-on-1 interview).

Interview Question – Have you ever missed a deadline? Is there any circumstance under which you would quit TFA?   Answer Question

Princeton, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is intense - there are phone interviews, writing samples, and a day long group interview in which you teach to other for five minutes. They want to see that you are organized, passionate, and talented at teaching. During the teaching interview, its important to cold call on people.

Interview Question – What do you do if you want to take your class on a field trip, but the principle is reluctant to agree?   Answer Question

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2013.

Interview Details – I completed the application, online activity and phone interview

Interview Question – What do you do to stay organized   Answer Question

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an email to be invited for a phone interview which lasted less than 20 minutes and had generic questions about TFA and mission. I think I did fine on the interview but I guess I’ll just wait and see till the 20th if I’ve been invited for the final interview. My interviewer was very polite and friendly and overall the process has been pleasant.

Interview Question – Why do you want to teach rather than some other medium to help children?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Complete an online essay and write information about yourself.
2. The next phase is a phone interview, which was a lot behavioral interview questions -- Did you ever miss a deadline? What did you do in leadership roles etc.
3. The final interview involves a five minute presentation which goes by really quickly. There is then a group interview where they give your group a problem to solve and then there is a 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Question – How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Corp Member Interview

Corp Member

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The phone interview was all of the basic behavioral questions. One thing that I have not seen anyone else mention is to make sure you really create a connection with your interview. I think this is a good determination if you move forward. My interview was very friendly and reacted to my answers like a normal conversation as opposed to one of my friends who interviewed and she said her interviewer just said ok to all of her answers. This could be different for everyone.

Interview Question – How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – A rather extensive interview process, with online application followed by phone interviews, multiple short online tasks and in person final interview involving the teaching of a 5 minute lesson.

Interview Question – Why do you want to teach?   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2009.

Interview Details – After submitting my initial application, I was told I was qualified enough to skip the phone interview and go directly to the in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I was asked to give a 5-minute lesson in any grade level/subject area. The interviewers cut you off once you hit the 5-minute mark. I then took a short quiz (very simple) and then participated in a group assessment, in which we had to problem-solve a school-level issue in 20 minutes. In the afternoon, I had my one-on-one interview with one of the two interviewers, in which I was asked to comment on my problem-solving experiences.

Interview Question – I was asked to address the interviewer as though he was a school principal and request that my high school students gain permission to check-out books from the school library for a research project. The school did not allow students to check out books because they were frequently lost or stolen. The challenge was problem-solving and suggesting solutions on the spot to the problem when the principal consistently refused my request for library privileges.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation with TFA- you are given a regional, grade level, and subject assignment and you can either accept or decline your offer. Salary is based on incoming teacher salary in the region, and negotiation with area principals is expressly forbidden by TFA.

College Station, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2012.

Interview Details – You begin with an online application that can be a bit tedious. It involves writing an essay, getting people to fill out reference forms, and lots of information regarding yourself and your academic record. You have to send in copies of personal documents, fill in every collegiate course you have taken corresponding with grades, etc. I was able to bypass the phone interview and go straight to the in-person interview. That interview is exactly what they prep you for. You have a teaching time in the morning where you teach the interviewers along with other prospective Corps Members (who also teach) for a five minute segment. It is much shorter than it seems and is less stressful than it sounds even if you have no teaching experience. Then, you progress to a group case study. Then is a one-on-one interview that asks typical behavioral questions, questions about past experiences, etc.

Interview Question – Most Unexpected: Why did you drop a specific course in college?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I made a mistake in listing my regional preferences. When I received my offer, it was in a region I could not accept. When I sought reassignment, they told me I could not receive another placement unless both of my parents were sole terminally ill and I was the sole caretaker.