Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Newark, NJ) in December 2008.

Interview

The interview process for Teach for America is fairly long and involved, but it is worth it. There are four rotating deadlines throughout the year. First there is a written application, which involves all of the normal personal information, your school transcripts, a letter of intent, and a short essay. There is a lot of emphasis throughout the interview process on overcoming obstacles and how you deal with obstacles and stress. If you passed the written interview, you will be notified in about a week that you have made it to the phone interview phase. Several articles will be available to read online, and your phone interviewer will ask you to discuss them. My interviewer also asked me how I have worked with others in past situations (including people that I did not get along with) and asked me to discuss another situation in which I was working on a project and faced a challenge. We discussed the reasons that I was applying, my views on the achievement gap, and what I thought the reasons for the gap are. They said to expect the phone interview to be about half an hour, but mine was around 50 minutes. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I had made it to the final in-person interview. There were many dates and locations to choose from, and this was all done online. Before the final interview, there was more assigned reading and I also had to rank my choices of the regions throughout the country. On the interview day, the morning consisted of a sample teaching session for 5 minutes (be sure to state what your goals are and interact with the other interviewees, who are your "class") as well as small group activities. Then we did individual interviews in the afternoon. The notification day was not for about 6 weeks after my final interview, so the overall process was about two months from the time that I first applied to the day I received my offer. They will offer you a region and a tentative grade level assignment, and you have to take what you get-- no negotiating!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you were working on a project with a specific goal, and you encountered an obstacle. How did you deal with the situation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Francisco, CA) in March 2008.

Interview

The process required quite a bit of preparation, including pre-interview reading materials and preparing a 5 minute presentation. The process of the online application resembled that of an undergraduate school application. This was followed by a 30 minute phone interview and then a 6 hour, all-day, one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers create a scenario and the interviewee is expected to take on the role of a teacher who is bargaining with his/her principal for classroom materials.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Potential corps members are able to negotiate placement locations across the country, as well as the general teaching age one would like to be with.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in April 2010.

Interview

The process begins with an online application that is pretty long. I think they focus on leadership skills, your ability to overcome adversity, and your mindset/rationle behind applying for this program (this is explained in one of the essays you need to write for the application). If you move past the online application, you will be schedule a phone interview (ex question: why do you think some parents aren't involved in their child's education). If selected to move on to the final interview day, you will take part in an all day in person interview that includes a sample lesson plan, testing, group discussions on prior reading, and a 1:1 interview where we had to role play a given situation, in addition to answering regular questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of a time when you experienced conflict with a supervisor or co-worker? How did you address this situation?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

Interview

The initial interview is a phone interview with a TFA alum that's generally behavioral. It's basically a screening interview to make sure you have an idea of what you're getting into and also that you're passionate about the problems that TFA is trying to address. The final interview is hard. It consists of a five-minute lesson plan that you must prepare ahead of time and "teach" it to the particular group you're assigned to for this interview round. Next, you'll take part of a group discussion centered around the readings that they ask you to read in preparation beforehand. Then, you'll take a written test that's really easy if you're good with numbers and data. Finally, you'll do a one-on-one interview with one of your interviewers from the previous group interview. They tell you right away that there are no quotas (this is true) so you're not competing against each other for a limited number of spots, but some people still act like they need to take you out in order to do well, especially during the group discussion. Just keep your cool and be assertive but don't stoop to their level. I think, in the end, while I was really passionate about the issues around education inequality in our country, the experience just wasn't for me. And they saw that. You really need to look before you leap on this one. Do your research, make sure this is something you'd really want, and get lots of second opinions before deciding to go ahead with this.

Interview Questions

• Given that the kind of environment you would be working in as a teacher would be very challenging, how would you deal with burning out during your two years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Raleigh, NC) in November 2010.

Interview

We had to first complete a lengthy application. It included a cover letter and a resume along with different questions. Then we had to complete an online activity that included reading articles and answering questions dealing with different situations. The in person interview took about a day and included group activities and discussions as well as a sample lesson.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews across rolling deadlines. 1. Online application, 2. Phone interview, 3. In-person interview and sample lesson.

Interview Questions

• There was a specific simulation question that was very difficult at the in-person interview day. It likely changes by year, interview location, and interview date. It asks you to solve a problem within the school and then the interviewer reacts as a certain actor in the situation.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Questions

• TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Eugene, OR) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process has several parts. The phone call is by far the easiest (this also indicates that you have made it through the initial online application), the sample teach was a foreign thing to me having no background in education, and the one on one interview the the recruiter was challenging but also my favorite portion. The sample teach may pose a problem for applicants who are unsure about planning a lesson, but I recommend contacting alumni and keeping your sample lesson objective as SIMPLE as possible. (e.g. I witnessed a wonderful sample lesson all about "What is a Noun?")

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Raleigh, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

Long, but liberating process of hard work! Very interesting and fun! Complete application online, with personal intent, recommendations, and resume. Phone interview first, then presentation (teaching), then one-on-one interview! Excellent interviewing process but remember to recruit differently because many CM's do not make it their full two years.

Interview Questions

• Asking your principal about a trip, without the funds, and without principal wanting to give his or her blessing. What would you do?   1 Answer