Teach for America

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Average Difficulty
115 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Phone interview was basic questions off of your resume. In person interview was as spelled out to you on TFA website. The one on one interview was pretty stressful, but my interviewer was very nice and personable. Remember to focus on leadership, that is one of the biggies they are looking for.

Interview Question – How do you measure success?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – The interviewer was friendly. He focused a lot on a random part of my resume and really grilled me on it.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you failed.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Make sure you emphasize how you have dealt with difficult circumstances, as they are looking for teachers who can deal with difficult times and not quit. Showing interest to a Campus Coordinator and reaching out to your regional representative means a lot. TFA monitors your interactions with them religiously (word for word) so be persistent and send a consistent message.

Interview Question – What would make you quit teaching?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – A rather extensive interview process, with online application followed by phone interviews, multiple short online tasks and in person final interview involving the teaching of a 5 minute lesson.

Interview Question – Why do you want to teach?   Answer Question

Corp Member Interview

Corp Member

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The phone interview was all of the basic behavioral questions. One thing that I have not seen anyone else mention is to make sure you really create a connection with your interview. I think this is a good determination if you move forward. My interview was very friendly and reacted to my answers like a normal conversation as opposed to one of my friends who interviewed and she said her interviewer just said ok to all of her answers. This could be different for everyone.

Interview Question – How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – written application, Phone interview and then final interview

Interview Question – What was your most difficult class in college?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Lengthy initial online application, phone interview, then full-day interview. Make sure that you know their core values and what they are about as an organization. They are very data-driven and want to know specific examples of your leadership showcased through particular situations.

Interview Question – Have you ever missed a deadline? Why?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – There are three steps to the application process. 1.) An Application 2.) A phone Interview 3.) A day long final interview. They are very selective in their practices and they do not give you feedback so I am still unaware of what I did wrong during the final interview

Interview Question – Under what circumstance would you leave the corps?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – First there is a written application, next a phone interview, then an in person interview that includes a model lesson, a "group" activity, and a 1:1 interview. The written application is very straight forward--the phone call felt a little uncomfortable, because I could tell what they wanted me to say, but I stuck to my thoughts, and it worked! Don't fake it!

Interview Question – What would you do if your principal said "no" to the following ____? (Role play)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations--except I was specific about the grade I wanted to teach.

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – The interview consists of an online application, a phone screen, and then an in-person interview where you teach a 5 minute sample lesson.

Interview Question – The teaching of the sample lesson was the thing that threw most people off - be prepared!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!