Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

After completing an online application consisting of questions regarding background information and past experiences I was selected for a phone interview. I was able to choose a day and time online. I was contacted by a TFA representative who conducted the interview. It was very formal and structred. I was then contacted for an in person interview which consisted of a sample teaching lesson, group activity and one on one interview. Be prepared for your lesson and participate during the group activity. The in person interview was much like the phone interview asking most of the same standard questions. Be able to explain every detail of your resume. You never know what they may reference.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Application with a few short response prompts, phone interview, online activity, then final day with 5 min. mock lesson, group discussion/project, and 1 on 1 interview. Entire process took about 3 months from initial application to final notification. Phone interview went well and was relatively relaxed, but 1 on 1 in person interview was a lot more challenging and intimidating. They repeated a few of the same questions from the phone interview, which got a little confusing because it wasn't clear if they wanted the same answer again or something different. Overall still a nice experience, and I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you failed at something and how you responded to that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Lengthy and intensive. The program is clearly looking for candidates that share their conviction for minimizing class differences in educational opportunity. All employees clearly share strong values and dedication to the program. Not just about how well you did in college but they are definitely looking for holistically motivated individuals... Final interview was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be and it was helpful to see what kind of work you would be doing!

Not able to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Very long process: applied in December, decision not available till March. Three rounds of interview: Phone interview, online interview/quiz, final interview at a local university. Final interview was very straightforward. TFA does good job at laying out the expectations of the final interview. Final interview requires a 5-minute lesson plan where you can teach whatever you want. be creative and engaging. Don't just sit there and speak.

Interview Questions
    • Why TFA? Why not another teaching organization like Fellows?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

An online application, phone screening (which I skipped), and an in-person, group/1-on-1 interview. University recruiters gave ample opportunities to learn about TFA and speak with TFA alum. The final interview can be intimidating, but I think the group setting put everyone at ease. PRACTICE your presentation. They are strict with the time-limit. One minute to set up and five minutes to present. Engage with the other group members, all of whom will play along and be supportive. Make it fun if you can.

Interview Questions
    • One scenario asked us to choose between closing a school and or laying off teachers. In a fish bowl setting, interviewers watched us figure out this scenario in a group and present to everyone else.   View Answer
    • How might you respond when things get difficult in the classroom?   Answer Question
    You provide your placement preferences (up to ten cities/regions) and your subject/grade level preferences. Should you get an offer, there is absolutely no room for negotiation with your placement city. Because TFA is like a hiring agency, they do no place you in a school directly.

After you're accepted, you place a reformatted resume into their resume bank, from which schools in your city will view various first-year corps members to interview. Your subject/grade level placement will depend on the actual school you end up working for, and they determine staffing based on their own specific needs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

The hiring process includes an online application, phone interview, online activity, and final interview. Although this is the full multi-step layout, some applicants may be invited straight to the final interview and thus be able to skip the phone interview and/or online activity portions. Over all, Teach For America is an amazing organization and their leadership team members were very informative and positive to interact with throughout the entire recruitment/application process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in January 2011.

The application process occurs in three stages. The first one is an online application that is exceptionally lengthy. Once you get past this round, there is a phone interview where the person on the other line asks you general questions. The interviewer also asks you engage in a role play which is usually between a teacher and parent. Lastly, the third interview is in person and consists of a 5-min lesson, group activity, and in-person interview.

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Disliked phone interview, interrogation style. Final, in person interview was filled with group activities. I enjoyed the micro teach, but the group work was chaotic. There were about 15 people interviewing and everyone was trying to talk over one another. After I got the offer, I literally was called three times a day. They can be incredibly aggressive and this attitude ultimately made me not accept the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview: Asked extreme detail about of my previous jobs. A lot of how I felt and why I reacted that way.   Answer Question

Incredibly aggressive recruitment technique. I did not feel respected and got some bad vibes.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Completed an online application. Then got selected for a phone interview where I was asked basic questions regarding my answers on the online application. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I got a final in-person interview. My interview took place virtually. It was broken up into group activities, teaching simulation, and one-on-one interview.