Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

First is the online application, which was pretty straightforward. The next step is the phone interview. Mine took about 45 minutes and was pretty thorough, but it was very helpful later as I prepared for the final interview. My interviewer was very nice! The final interview is the last step. It begins with the sample teaching lessons. The other interviewees and interviewers (I had two) act as your students. It was pretty relaxed, but you have to be organized! The ten minute time limit is very serious. The group portion involves readings you are assigned ahead of time. Everyone was considerate and this portion was a good time to show leadership and cooperation. The final part is the one on one interview. It was very similar to the phone interview, I was even asked a few of the exact same questions. My interviewer was very nice and made me feel comfortable. She focused on one service activity that I had participated in the longest.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Raleigh, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

Long, but liberating process of hard work! Very interesting and fun! Complete application online, with personal intent, recommendations, and resume. Phone interview first, then presentation (teaching), then one-on-one interview! Excellent interviewing process but remember to recruit differently because many CM's do not make it their full two years.

Interview Questions

• Asking your principal about a trip, without the funds, and without principal wanting to give his or her blessing. What would you do?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and detailed online application. ~Two hour online exercise. I was able to skip the phone interview step and moved directly to final interview. Final interview was exactly how they describe it on the website. Group interview, Teach a 5 minute lesson, Q & A session, group activity, then individual interviews. Advice: ask questions that make your fellow applicants look good during their lessons and they'll ask nice ones back. Come prepared with questions for the Q & A session, no one had questions in my group (10 of us) so I got to ask 2 questions that helped demonstrate my interest. Don't ask a question that's already addressed online somewhere or that is very specific (e.g., can I teach in NY if I pass my PA state exams?) For the individual interview, they really let you elaborate on your answers so don't be shy! They focused on my leadership activity that I had spent the most time on. They also asked a lot about my thesis. My interviewer and I clicked on a certain topic in education reform and went on that tangent for a while, if you're passionate about educational reform, let it show--because your interviewer probably is to!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a corps member?
      Talk about a time you had to work in a group for your *insert leadership activity*.
      Talk about a time you had difficulty working with another person.

Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO).

Interview

After submitting my application, I was asked several weeks later about attending an interview in person. The interview style was very unique - it was an all day process. There were 2 interviewers and a group of several of us. In the morning, we all gave 5 minute lessons we had previously prepared as well as a group problem solving activity and individual interviews in the afternoon. We all had to pick a time to sign up for, some people had to wait several hours between the group interview and their individual time. The one on one interview asked very standard questions, I was mostly asked to elaborate on responses to application questions and things on my resume.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

Phone interview to briefly go over resume, then full day interview including a group role play of how would you work with other decision makers in a school, a prepared 5 minute lesson, then an individual session with one of the interviewers

Interview Questions

• How would you handle rejection of your proposal to improve student achievement?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

After completing an online application consisting of questions regarding background information and past experiences I was selected for a phone interview. I was able to choose a day and time online. I was contacted by a TFA representative who conducted the interview. It was very formal and structred. I was then contacted for an in person interview which consisted of a sample teaching lesson, group activity and one on one interview. Be prepared for your lesson and participate during the group activity. The in person interview was much like the phone interview asking most of the same standard questions. Be able to explain every detail of your resume. You never know what they may reference.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Application with a few short response prompts, phone interview, online activity, then final day with 5 min. mock lesson, group discussion/project, and 1 on 1 interview. Entire process took about 3 months from initial application to final notification. Phone interview went well and was relatively relaxed, but 1 on 1 in person interview was a lot more challenging and intimidating. They repeated a few of the same questions from the phone interview, which got a little confusing because it wasn't clear if they wanted the same answer again or something different. Overall still a nice experience, and I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you failed at something and how you responded to that.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Lengthy and intensive. The program is clearly looking for candidates that share their conviction for minimizing class differences in educational opportunity. All employees clearly share strong values and dedication to the program. Not just about how well you did in college but they are definitely looking for holistically motivated individuals... Final interview was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be and it was helpful to see what kind of work you would be doing!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Very long process: applied in December, decision not available till March. Three rounds of interview: Phone interview, online interview/quiz, final interview at a local university. Final interview was very straightforward. TFA does good job at laying out the expectations of the final interview. Final interview requires a 5-minute lesson plan where you can teach whatever you want. be creative and engaging. Don't just sit there and speak.

Interview Questions

• Why TFA? Why not another teaching organization like Fellows?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

An online application, phone screening (which I skipped), and an in-person, group/1-on-1 interview. University recruiters gave ample opportunities to learn about TFA and speak with TFA alum. The final interview can be intimidating, but I think the group setting put everyone at ease. PRACTICE your presentation. They are strict with the time-limit. One minute to set up and five minutes to present. Engage with the other group members, all of whom will play along and be supportive. Make it fun if you can.

Interview Questions

• One scenario asked us to choose between closing a school and or laying off teachers. In a fish bowl setting, interviewers watched us figure out this scenario in a group and present to everyone else.   1 Answer
    • How might you respond when things get difficult in the classroom?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You provide your placement preferences (up to ten cities/regions) and your subject/grade level preferences. Should you get an offer, there is absolutely no room for negotiation with your placement city. Because TFA is like a hiring agency, they do no place you in a school directly.

After you're accepted, you place a reformatted resume into their resume bank, from which schools in your city will view various first-year corps members to interview. Your subject/grade level placement will depend on the actual school you end up working for, and they determine staffing based on their own specific needs.