Teach for America

Getting the Interview

111 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

Interview Details – There was an online application followed by a phone interview. Some candidates skip the phone interview and go straight to the final interview. The final interview consisted of a presentation, "sample lesson", group activity and one on one interview.

Interview Question – Why Teach For America?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2014.

Interview Details – Process included an online application, which was straightforward enough, but took a while to complete. This was followed by a phone interview - I'm not supposed to share the questions, but most of them can be found on glassdoor - and an online activity, which was somewhat odd.

Interview Question – How do you organize yourself?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – online application, final interview

Interview Question – What are you greatest strengths?   Answer Question

Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

Interview Question – Tell me what a typical Wednesday would look like   Answer Question

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Very structured interview process. Expectations for interviewees are clearly defined and interview sticks to those expectations. Each stage gets increasingly more involved and difficult. First round is focused on leadership positions, second round (phone) is mostly a behavioral interview, and the third round really assesses your desire to be in the classroom.

Interview Question – What would lead you to quit TFA?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Interview Details – Online Application (see website for details). Then, you have to wait a long time. Then, a possible phone interview. Phone interview focused on areas of impact or leadership experience. Then, all day group interview followed by an individual interview. Had to do a mock lesson, group project, and discussions. Then, wait more to hear back. Overall, took 2 months.

Interview Question – Proving your track record of success quantitatively.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary and benefits are provided by schools district.

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The interview process is long with a lot of repeated questions. Enthusiasm is everything! They're not expecting you to be an amazing teacher. But they do want people who are passionate and have strong leadership skills. As a teacher, your job is to give multiple presentations a day so part of the interview was a mock lesson. Don't worry about doing something too simple or too complicated. Just make sure you are prepared and give a strong presentation.

Interview Questions

Interview Details – Step 1: Application

Step 2: Phone Interview (it is possible to skip straight to step 3)

Step 3: Final Interview
LESSON: During the final interview you will be asked to teach a sample lesson to fellow applicants and Teach for America Staff evaluators. Lesson will be 5 minutes and cover any topic you desire. It is really to show your ability to speak publicly and develop at thoughtfully planned idea.
INTERVIEW: In a one-on-one interview, you will also be asked how you might respond to a given situation in a school setting other and other questions about how your past experiences make you a good candidate for TFA.

Interview Question – Most questions were pretty straight forward, but my situational question was asking about how I might respond when students have a desire to start an initiative in the school and want me to approach administration.   Answer Question

Corps Member

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – I went through the phone interview and was able to complete a virtual final (due to being out of the country). My virtual interview was group interview as well. Each of the participants did a mock lesson and we had to work together to respond to a scenario. It was a test to see our problem solving abilities as well as our ability to work collaboratively. After that, we had seperate interviews with traditional questions.

Interview Question – My interviewer presented me with a scenario in which she was my principal and I wanted to propose a new program after she had already sd that no new programs cld be implemented in the remainder of the year. She gave me a few minutes to gather my thoughts, then I had to plead my case.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation, but I would encourage everyone who applies to teach for america to be sure they are interested in teaching.

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is mutli-step and very long and somewhat exhausting, but overall, it is mostly enjoyable and really not too difficult. The application process is tiered and consists of an initial online application, two recommendations and a reference, an "online activity," a phone interview (sometimes), and a final interview. The final interview consists of a sample lesson, a group interview, a speech by the interviewer, and a personal interview. There are also many events such as Webinars, happy hours, etc. throughout the process which are "optional" but may or may not help in the admissions process.

The staff are very clear and up front with what they want to see from you, so it's just up to you to prepare. When they say they want you to demonstrate the seven core values that they purport, they mean that they will ask you about these literally and you best have an answer for them! Organization, leadership, etc. -- They won't try to infer whether you have these qualities; they will directly ask you. So be prepared. That said, while the (final) interview is definitely structured towards seeing your work ethic, your leadership skills, your drive, etc.-- you should also try to work in your "story," your passion, why you want to do TFA. I found the initial online application most helpful in being able to delineate this thoroughly.

And if you don't have the passion -- don't apply. TFA is not an easy thing. You're not going to be able to stick it out for two years in tough conditions with little pay if you don't have the innate excitement/passion for this type of work. The interviewers/TFA Staff are actually very helpful in helping you determine if you would be interested in this kind of experience. Sure, they want to recruit as many people to apply as possible, but they are fairly candid about their experiences as well. It doesn't look good for them to admit someone who will not be a good corps member/will drop out/etc.

Interview Question – Nothing very unexpected. Role play scenario could be a bit tough. Lesson could also cause some stress, but try not to worry about it too much!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You are able to indicate preferences for where and what subject you want to teach, and TFA uses an algorithm to sort you into an assignment. Negotiation is next to impossible; reassignment is extremely rare. You must have a compelling personal reason I think and even then it's up in the air. Your best bet is to indicate a "Special Circumstance" that requires you to be placed in your most preferred region during the selection phase.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America