Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014

3.5

120 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

online Application, phone interview, final group interview

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

First you submit your application, which is pretty straight forward. Then you have the phone interview and a test online. The phone interview is rather basic, they just ask you typical interview questions. Basically explaining your resume to them. The "test" is just a few logic questions. The last step is the 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and the in person interview. For the 5 minute lesson, just practice and pick something you are familiar with. Most importantly, MAKE IT FOLLOW THE FORMAT OF AN ACTUAL LESSON, and MAKE IT CREATIVE! You really need to display that you know the format of a lesson plan. For the group activity, be assertive but not too aggressive. Make valid points, don't talk for the sake of talking. And the final interview only took me about 25 minutes, they ask how you would ask the principal for field trip funding, etc. I walked away convinced I didn't get the job because the interview was so standardized I couldn't tell what he thought of me.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a principal for funding for a field trip?   View Answer

TFA couldn't guarantee me placement in a SPED classroom, so I decided to go the traditional route of becoming a teacher.

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The interviews are wonderful experience to see what the Teach For America culture is like. It is an intense process, much like the job will be if you are chosen. The phone interviews can seem a bit awkward, but that only makes the unperson interview seem much more natural. Preparing a mock lesson can seem intimidating at first, but the key is confidence and interaction.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone interview I was asked what the most difficult class I've taken in college was and how I handled it.   Answer Question
    You do not get to negotiate with TFA

Corp Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

First, an online form is filled out, where you answer questions about you, your experience, etc. You also upload a resume. If you advance, there is a phone interview. If you advance past that, there is a day-long, in-person interview. The interview includes a teaching sample, small group work, and a personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to go into great detail of a time when you overcame a problem.   Answer Question

online application, final interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Very structured interview process. Expectations for interviewees are clearly defined and interview sticks to those expectations. Each stage gets increasingly more involved and difficult. First round is focused on leadership positions, second round (phone) is mostly a behavioral interview, and the third round really assesses your desire to be in the classroom.

No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2014.

Process included an online application, which was straightforward enough, but took a while to complete. This was followed by a phone interview - I'm not supposed to share the questions, but most of them can be found on glassdoor - and an online activity, which was somewhat odd.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long with a lot of repeated questions. Enthusiasm is everything! They're not expecting you to be an amazing teacher. But they do want people who are passionate and have strong leadership skills. As a teacher, your job is to give multiple presentations a day so part of the interview was a mock lesson. Don't worry about doing something too simple or too complicated. Just make sure you are prepared and give a strong presentation.

Step 1: Application

Step 2: Phone Interview (it is possible to skip straight to step 3)

Step 3: Final Interview
    LESSON: During the final interview you will be asked to teach a sample lesson to fellow applicants and Teach for America Staff evaluators. Lesson will be 5 minutes and cover any topic you desire. It is really to show your ability to speak publicly and develop at thoughtfully planned idea.
    INTERVIEW: In a one-on-one interview, you will also be asked how you might respond to a given situation in a school setting other and other questions about how your past experiences make you a good candidate for TFA.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were pretty straight forward, but my situational question was asking about how I might respond when students have a desire to start an initiative in the school and want me to approach administration.   Answer Question