Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Rigorous. I skipped the phone interview.
Teach For America wants to see that you've been a leader in your classroom. Teach For America also likes to see data and numbers to quantify the accomplishments that you've had in the leadership roles.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Application with a few short response prompts, phone interview, online activity, then final day with 5 min. mock lesson, group discussion/project, and 1 on 1 interview. Entire process took about 3 months from initial application to final notification. Phone interview went well and was relatively relaxed, but 1 on 1 in person interview was a lot more challenging and intimidating. They repeated a few of the same questions from the phone interview, which got a little confusing because it wasn't clear if they wanted the same answer again or something different. Overall still a nice experience, and I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you failed at something and how you responded to that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

After completing an online application consisting of questions regarding background information and past experiences I was selected for a phone interview. I was able to choose a day and time online. I was contacted by a TFA representative who conducted the interview. It was very formal and structred. I was then contacted for an in person interview which consisted of a sample teaching lesson, group activity and one on one interview. Be prepared for your lesson and participate during the group activity. The in person interview was much like the phone interview asking most of the same standard questions. Be able to explain every detail of your resume. You never know what they may reference.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

Phone interview to briefly go over resume, then full day interview including a group role play of how would you work with other decision makers in a school, a prepared 5 minute lesson, then an individual session with one of the interviewers

Interview Questions

• How would you handle rejection of your proposal to improve student achievement?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO).

Interview

After submitting my application, I was asked several weeks later about attending an interview in person. The interview style was very unique - it was an all day process. There were 2 interviewers and a group of several of us. In the morning, we all gave 5 minute lessons we had previously prepared as well as a group problem solving activity and individual interviews in the afternoon. We all had to pick a time to sign up for, some people had to wait several hours between the group interview and their individual time. The one on one interview asked very standard questions, I was mostly asked to elaborate on responses to application questions and things on my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Raleigh, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

Long, but liberating process of hard work! Very interesting and fun! Complete application online, with personal intent, recommendations, and resume. Phone interview first, then presentation (teaching), then one-on-one interview! Excellent interviewing process but remember to recruit differently because many CM's do not make it their full two years.

Interview Questions

• Asking your principal about a trip, without the funds, and without principal wanting to give his or her blessing. What would you do?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Pretty intense process. First an online application then a phone interview, and if you make it past the phone interview you will have a final interview that includes a lesson plan presentation, one-one and group interview, and role-playing

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions. Found most of them on glassdoor. Just do your research   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

The in-person process was a day long and took up very much time and effort. There were so many activities including a prepared 5-minute lesson and pre-interview work that took approximately an hour. Some applicants will also have to do a phone interview screening which takes approximately 30 minutes. Rest assured that every applicant who is qualified will be hired. The first part of the interview is the lesson in which over 30 people in a room gave the lesson they prepared. Then, there is a fishbowl activity in which the groups are split up and given a question to answer, usually having to do with a school. Finally, there is the personal interview which takes up about a half hour after the lesson, usually following a lunch break.

Interview Questions

• You are in a group of teachers whose principal has chosen to change the curriculum that you are teaching. How will you present to the principal that the curriculum should or should not be changed? (group activity)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as to compensation, but there were options as to where geographically you wanted to go.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Disliked phone interview, interrogation style. Final, in person interview was filled with group activities. I enjoyed the micro teach, but the group work was chaotic. There were about 15 people interviewing and everyone was trying to talk over one another. After I got the offer, I literally was called three times a day. They can be incredibly aggressive and this attitude ultimately made me not accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: Asked extreme detail about of my previous jobs. A lot of how I felt and why I reacted that way.   Answer Question

Incredibly aggressive recruitment technique. I did not feel respected and got some bad vibes.