Teach for America

Updated Dec 5, 2014

3.5

128 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Pretty intense process. First an online application then a phone interview, and if you make it past the phone interview you will have a final interview that includes a lesson plan presentation, one-one and group interview, and role-playing

Interview Questions
  • Pretty standard questions. Found most of them on glassdoor. Just do your research   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interviews are wonderful experience to see what the Teach For America culture is like. It is an intense process, much like the job will be if you are chosen. The phone interviews can seem a bit awkward, but that only makes the unperson interview seem much more natural. Preparing a mock lesson can seem intimidating at first, but the key is confidence and interaction.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone interview I was asked what the most difficult class I've taken in college was and how I handled it.   Answer Question
    You do not get to negotiate with TFA

Corps Member Interview

First you submit your application, which is pretty straight forward. Then you have the phone interview and a test online. The phone interview is rather basic, they just ask you typical interview questions. Basically explaining your resume to them. The "test" is just a few logic questions. The last step is the 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and the in person interview. For the 5 minute lesson, just practice and pick something you are familiar with. Most importantly, MAKE IT FOLLOW THE FORMAT OF AN ACTUAL LESSON, and MAKE IT CREATIVE! You really need to display that you know the format of a lesson plan. For the group activity, be assertive but not too aggressive. Make valid points, don't talk for the sake of talking. And the final interview only took me about 25 minutes, they ask how you would ask the principal for field trip funding, etc. I walked away convinced I didn't get the job because the interview was so standardized I couldn't tell what he thought of me.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a principal for funding for a field trip?   View Answer

TFA couldn't guarantee me placement in a SPED classroom, so I decided to go the traditional route of becoming a teacher.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Began with the online application and essays, from there moved to a phone interview and then a full day final interview that consisted of a sample lesson teach, group discussion and one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy you did not agree with, but were expected to follow?   Answer Question

The location I was matched with was not my first choice.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Step 1: Application

Step 2: Phone Interview (it is possible to skip straight to step 3)

Step 3: Final Interview
    LESSON: During the final interview you will be asked to teach a sample lesson to fellow applicants and Teach for America Staff evaluators. Lesson will be 5 minutes and cover any topic you desire. It is really to show your ability to speak publicly and develop at thoughtfully planned idea.
    INTERVIEW: In a one-on-one interview, you will also be asked how you might respond to a given situation in a school setting other and other questions about how your past experiences make you a good candidate for TFA.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were pretty straight forward, but my situational question was asking about how I might respond when students have a desire to start an initiative in the school and want me to approach administration.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long with a lot of repeated questions. Enthusiasm is everything! They're not expecting you to be an amazing teacher. But they do want people who are passionate and have strong leadership skills. As a teacher, your job is to give multiple presentations a day so part of the interview was a mock lesson. Don't worry about doing something too simple or too complicated. Just make sure you are prepared and give a strong presentation.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Online Application (see website for details). Then, you have to wait a long time. Then, a possible phone interview. Phone interview focused on areas of impact or leadership experience. Then, all day group interview followed by an individual interview. Had to do a mock lesson, group project, and discussions. Then, wait more to hear back. Overall, took 2 months.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Salary and benefits are provided by schools district.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in September 2014.

It's a huge process, and they give you multiple dates and deadlines so they can weed out the people who are not willing to put forth the effort for this two year commitment. Show you are willing to help bridge the school inequality gap and your strongest leadership actions/attributes. Be as transparent as possible.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about your most recent business leadership endeavor and your strongest achievement.   View Answer
    Non-negotational, you put in your highest preferences and 3 places you absolutely don't want to be sent. If you want more chance of going to a higher priority corps school, apply to the earliest deadline you can.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in September 2010.

I applied to the earliest deadline for Teach for America. I spent a lot of time on my application, stressing my involvement in community service as a leader, and was skipped past the phone interview.

Had an on-campus interview with two recruiters from Teach for America. It was actually a fairly easy process, but I know the part I messed up the most on was the 1:1 interview. The presentation is the least important part, but just be sure to utilize your time well, ask for feedback from the class, and make sure to catch the interviewer when they raise their hand. The interviewers are always watching you, so be sure to always be extremely nice to the other candidates, and try to socialize with the interviewers when given the opportunity. Prepare well for the role play.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult class you have taken in your college career?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Binghamton, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Binghamton, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2008.

You phone interview first. Then you may make it to the day-long interview. The day long interview consists of some team working projects, analytical tests, a sample teaching, role-playing and a one on one interview. In the team working projects, make sure to be inclusive of all people, be respectful and open minded, listen well, and share your own ideas. In the sample teaching, the most important piece is the reflection afterwards. Be sure your lesson has a beginning, middle, and assessment at the end. The people were very professional. The work culture is tenacious and no-nonsense. Everyone is focused towards "continuually increasing effectiveness," so constructive criticism is valued, solicited, and responded to promptly. This is one of the most fluid, effective, and efficient organizations in the United States. The reason is that everyone leaves their personal pride behind to work towards the collective mission of closing the achievement gap. This is the type of person that they are looking for. If you get the job with TFA, do not accept unless you are willing to put your students first, above yourself, and to work 80+ hour weeks, especially in your first year as a corps member. This being said, as a corps member you will experience unimaginable personal growth.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a principal forced you to cut science from your elementary curriculum because the state only tested English and Math?   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations, except maybe on where of the 28 TFA regions you will be placed in. If there are extenuating family circumstances or health issues, you get to choose more directly.