Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

3.5

120 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Claremont, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Claremont, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

TFA is very transparent. Prior to my phone and in-person interview, I studied their website and mission diligently (TFA recommends doing this.) I also went online and looked for suggestions as to how best to prepare for the phone and in-person interview. I would highly recommend preparing several (maybe 3 to 4) vignettes that highlight your leadership abilities. It may even be good to detail a time when you struggled or even failed to accomplish a goal. However, if you choose to include a vignette of this type, be sure to make clear the lessons/principles you took away from that experience and how it may have helped you to approach similar situations.

Interview Questions
  • TFA is pretty transparent about their interview process. Though, little information is given regarding the actual questions they might ask, they do provide several suggestions in follow-up e-mails about how to tackle and prepare for the interview.   Answer Question
At first I was placed in a region far from home, but I was able to get a regional transfer. Keep in mind, that my situation is not typical. TFA states that their offers are usually final. The placement team works to place you in one of your preferred regions, but they necessarily have to do so within the contexts of regional/employer needs i.e. if you lack significant coursework in the science or math, it will be difficult for them to place you in the Bay Area , as this region is in need of teachers competent in that subject.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Began with the online application and essays, from there moved to a phone interview and then a full day final interview that consisted of a sample lesson teach, group discussion and one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy you did not agree with, but were expected to follow?   Answer Question

The location I was matched with was not my first choice.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

Very thorough interview process with very good communication throughout entire process. After submitting my application online, I received an email shortly thereafter indicating I had been selected for a phone interview. The phone interview was about 20 minutes and was comprised of mostly behavioral style interview questions (i.e., Give me an example of a time when you faced adversity...). The phone interview was conducted by a bubbly female who stuck to a pre-determined script. Following the phone interview, I was selected for an on-site interview at a university about 45 minutes from my home. I received a very detailed email including all of the interview expectations and logistics. This interview included one-on-one and group interviews, as well as a 5-minute demonstration lesson taught by each candidate (there were about 10-15 candidates in a board room). Following the on-site interviews, it seemed like forever until "notification day," when we received an email stating whether or not we had been accepted into the Corps and our placement if accepted. I was overjoyed to received my acceptance email after a very thorough interview process. There was a second set of interviews after being accepted into the corps, which took place in our assigned city so that we could be interviewed by local schools in anticipation of our local placement. This was a fun day which involved "round robin" style interviewing with multiple school principals & school administrators. Each interview had a different feel, but the interviewers were all diligent about trying to find the best fit for their staff & school.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all of the questions were behavioral in nature, so be prepared with tons of examples about how you overcame adversity, dealt with a challenge, failed, succeeded, showed leadership, etc. However, one principal asked a really bizarre riddle similar to the Google interview questions and I had no idea how to answer. I did not get hired by that school (lol).   Answer Question
    There are two offer stages -- you get offered by Teach For America, and then you get offered by a local school. These offers don't happen at the same time. You really only have two choices: accept or decline. There was not much room for negotiating salary with the local school. We just received a contract stating we would make about $42000 in the first year, so we all signed.

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Teach for America.

There is a 5 stage interview, application, phone interview, three part in person interview. The interview is super intensive, like an interrogation almost. They are going to through trick questions, a ton of behavioral questions. i think this interview doesn't really capture what tfa is all about.

Interview Questions
    no negotiation. the employee has no voice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2010.

Online application is followed most frequently by a phone screening interview, after which day-long interview is conducted, including individual and group activities (including a 5-minute lesson plan presentation), discussion (about pre-interview reading assignments), and then one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What, if anything, would make you leave the corps early?
      Have you ever quit anything?
      How do you stay organized?
      Tell me about a challenge you overcame.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Online application, online evaluations, phone interview, in person full day interviews involving presentation, group interview, and one on one interview

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Step 1: Application

Step 2: Phone Interview (it is possible to skip straight to step 3)

Step 3: Final Interview
    LESSON: During the final interview you will be asked to teach a sample lesson to fellow applicants and Teach for America Staff evaluators. Lesson will be 5 minutes and cover any topic you desire. It is really to show your ability to speak publicly and develop at thoughtfully planned idea.
    INTERVIEW: In a one-on-one interview, you will also be asked how you might respond to a given situation in a school setting other and other questions about how your past experiences make you a good candidate for TFA.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were pretty straight forward, but my situational question was asking about how I might respond when students have a desire to start an initiative in the school and want me to approach administration.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long with a lot of repeated questions. Enthusiasm is everything! They're not expecting you to be an amazing teacher. But they do want people who are passionate and have strong leadership skills. As a teacher, your job is to give multiple presentations a day so part of the interview was a mock lesson. Don't worry about doing something too simple or too complicated. Just make sure you are prepared and give a strong presentation.

Corps Member Interview

Online Application (see website for details). Then, you have to wait a long time. Then, a possible phone interview. Phone interview focused on areas of impact or leadership experience. Then, all day group interview followed by an individual interview. Had to do a mock lesson, group project, and discussions. Then, wait more to hear back. Overall, took 2 months.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Salary and benefits are provided by schools district.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview