Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The hiring process includes an online application, phone interview, online activity, and final interview. Although this is the full multi-step layout, some applicants may be invited straight to the final interview and thus be able to skip the phone interview and/or online activity portions. Over all, Teach For America is an amazing organization and their leadership team members were very informative and positive to interact with throughout the entire recruitment/application process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO) in January 2011.

Interview

The application process occurs in three stages. The first one is an online application that is exceptionally lengthy. Once you get past this round, there is a phone interview where the person on the other line asks you general questions. The interviewer also asks you engage in a role play which is usually between a teacher and parent. Lastly, the third interview is in person and consists of a 5-min lesson, group activity, and in-person interview.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Disliked phone interview, interrogation style. Final, in person interview was filled with group activities. I enjoyed the micro teach, but the group work was chaotic. There were about 15 people interviewing and everyone was trying to talk over one another. After I got the offer, I literally was called three times a day. They can be incredibly aggressive and this attitude ultimately made me not accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: Asked extreme detail about of my previous jobs. A lot of how I felt and why I reacted that way.   Answer Question

Incredibly aggressive recruitment technique. I did not feel respected and got some bad vibes.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Interview

Completed an online application. Then got selected for a phone interview where I was asked basic questions regarding my answers on the online application. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I got a final in-person interview. My interview took place virtually. It was broken up into group activities, teaching simulation, and one-on-one interview.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Evanston, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

sample teach, group interview, solo interview. The interview took about 3 hours with two interviewers, and about 12 other applicants. The environment was very casual, and applicants had to both act as teachers for their lessons and students for the other lessons. About half the applicants were from my university, and the other half were adults from the area.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Got contacted by on-campus recruiter and was told to apply. I applied, didn't have to do a phone interview, and was moved on to the final interview. The final interview was in group format and they gave us a scenario to discuss and a quick 5 minute teaching lesson. After that, we had one on one interviews with our group interview facilitators.

Interview Questions

I felt like I wanted to do something else with my career projectile and if I didn't have a great passion for TFA after the interview process then I probably shouldn't waste their time by not putting my all into being a corps member.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Interview process took over a month, but it was a great experience. You get to learn about the organization and how you can make an impact. Make sure you express your passion and be involved in the group portion of the interview. Be confident and you will do well!

Corps Member Interview

Application

interviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

Interview

I participated in the initial screening / application process. This included a detailed questionnaire and a series of short prompts, as well as a complete listing of my previous job/work experience. I completed an online test, which included scenarios. I then took part in a 30-minute phone interview. Shortly after the interview, I was informed by email that I had not advanced to the next round of the process.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding the scenarios were somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

The in-person process was a day long and took up very much time and effort. There were so many activities including a prepared 5-minute lesson and pre-interview work that took approximately an hour. Some applicants will also have to do a phone interview screening which takes approximately 30 minutes. Rest assured that every applicant who is qualified will be hired. The first part of the interview is the lesson in which over 30 people in a room gave the lesson they prepared. Then, there is a fishbowl activity in which the groups are split up and given a question to answer, usually having to do with a school. Finally, there is the personal interview which takes up about a half hour after the lesson, usually following a lunch break.

Interview Questions

• You are in a group of teachers whose principal has chosen to change the curriculum that you are teaching. How will you present to the principal that the curriculum should or should not be changed? (group activity)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as to compensation, but there were options as to where geographically you wanted to go.