Teach for America

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Questions
  • TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

You have to apply online through the TFA website. The application consists of leadership/work experience and some essay questions. Then, after the deadline period ends, you'll hear within about 2 weeks whether or not you have been invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes and the interviewer asks you to expand on some of your initial application, then asks you some questions related to your leadership experience, organizational skills, and why you want to join TFA. After another week or so, you may be invited to the final interview stage, where you will present a 5-minute lesson plan, participate in a group activity, and an individual interview. It's a fairly relaxed interview setting, and the process isn't competitive in the sense that only a select number of people in your group can get the job. If they think you are qualified, you will get hired. Be sure to use the STAR method for answering their questions; that's what they recommend.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

online Application, phone interview, final group interview

Corps Member Interview

First you submit your application, which is pretty straight forward. Then you have the phone interview and a test online. The phone interview is rather basic, they just ask you typical interview questions. Basically explaining your resume to them. The "test" is just a few logic questions. The last step is the 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and the in person interview. For the 5 minute lesson, just practice and pick something you are familiar with. Most importantly, MAKE IT FOLLOW THE FORMAT OF AN ACTUAL LESSON, and MAKE IT CREATIVE! You really need to display that you know the format of a lesson plan. For the group activity, be assertive but not too aggressive. Make valid points, don't talk for the sake of talking. And the final interview only took me about 25 minutes, they ask how you would ask the principal for field trip funding, etc. I walked away convinced I didn't get the job because the interview was so standardized I couldn't tell what he thought of me.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a principal for funding for a field trip?   View Answer

TFA couldn't guarantee me placement in a SPED classroom, so I decided to go the traditional route of becoming a teacher.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interviews are wonderful experience to see what the Teach For America culture is like. It is an intense process, much like the job will be if you are chosen. The phone interviews can seem a bit awkward, but that only makes the unperson interview seem much more natural. Preparing a mock lesson can seem intimidating at first, but the key is confidence and interaction.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone interview I was asked what the most difficult class I've taken in college was and how I handled it.   Answer Question
    You do not get to negotiate with TFA

Corp Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

First, an online form is filled out, where you answer questions about you, your experience, etc. You also upload a resume. If you advance, there is a phone interview. If you advance past that, there is a day-long, in-person interview. The interview includes a teaching sample, small group work, and a personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to go into great detail of a time when you overcame a problem.   Answer Question

online application, final interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Very structured interview process. Expectations for interviewees are clearly defined and interview sticks to those expectations. Each stage gets increasingly more involved and difficult. First round is focused on leadership positions, second round (phone) is mostly a behavioral interview, and the third round really assesses your desire to be in the classroom.

No negotiation.