Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

3.5

120 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

I went through the phone interview and was able to complete a virtual final (due to being out of the country). My virtual interview was group interview as well. Each of the participants did a mock lesson and we had to work together to respond to a scenario. It was a test to see our problem solving abilities as well as our ability to work collaboratively. After that, we had seperate interviews with traditional questions.

Interview Questions
  • My interviewer presented me with a scenario in which she was my principal and I wanted to propose a new program after she had already sd that no new programs cld be implemented in the remainder of the year. She gave me a few minutes to gather my thoughts, then I had to plead my case.   Answer Question
No Negotiation, but I would encourage everyone who applies to teach for america to be sure they are interested in teaching.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corp Member Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

i had a phone interview as well as the day long group interview a few weeks later. Both experiences were generally pleasant. I enjoy talking about education and issues related to it, so I tended to ramble. The phone interview was casual, with questions about "a time when you were challenged" and "what is your organization style."

Interview Questions
    • Actually describing your organization and scheduling style required me to think about why I do what I do.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Very competitive, lengthy, and interesting. Start with an online application. Then, most times, they follow up with a phone screen. Sometimes they will skip that part and invite you directly to the final round. The final rounds consists of a four to five hour interview with various stages: 5 minute sample lesson, group conversation, individual case, and behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • You are trying to convince your principal to fund a field trip. How would you go about doing this?   View Answer

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

First, you complete an online application with three 300-word short answer questions. After that, you have to complete an online activity with multiple choice and short answer questions in response to reading or watching a video. After that, there is a thirty minute phone interview in which the interviewer will tell you a little bit about TFA and what they've in particular done. I withdrew my application before going further with this process because I'm looking for a gap year service opportunity that is just one year commitment and not two.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest class you took in college and what did you have to do to succeed?   Answer Question

2 year program is a bit longer than I would like

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

The hiring process is mutli-step and very long and somewhat exhausting, but overall, it is mostly enjoyable and really not too difficult. The application process is tiered and consists of an initial online application, two recommendations and a reference, an "online activity," a phone interview (sometimes), and a final interview. The final interview consists of a sample lesson, a group interview, a speech by the interviewer, and a personal interview. There are also many events such as Webinars, happy hours, etc. throughout the process which are "optional" but may or may not help in the admissions process.

The staff are very clear and up front with what they want to see from you, so it's just up to you to prepare. When they say they want you to demonstrate the seven core values that they purport, they mean that they will ask you about these literally and you best have an answer for them! Organization, leadership, etc. -- They won't try to infer whether you have these qualities; they will directly ask you. So be prepared. That said, while the (final) interview is definitely structured towards seeing your work ethic, your leadership skills, your drive, etc.-- you should also try to work in your "story," your passion, why you want to do TFA. I found the initial online application most helpful in being able to delineate this thoroughly.

And if you don't have the passion -- don't apply. TFA is not an easy thing. You're not going to be able to stick it out for two years in tough conditions with little pay if you don't have the innate excitement/passion for this type of work. The interviewers/TFA Staff are actually very helpful in helping you determine if you would be interested in this kind of experience. Sure, they want to recruit as many people to apply as possible, but they are fairly candid about their experiences as well. It doesn't look good for them to admit someone who will not be a good corps member/will drop out/etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very unexpected. Role play scenario could be a bit tough. Lesson could also cause some stress, but try not to worry about it too much!   Answer Question
    You are able to indicate preferences for where and what subject you want to teach, and TFA uses an algorithm to sort you into an assignment. Negotiation is next to impossible; reassignment is extremely rare. You must have a compelling personal reason I think and even then it's up in the air. Your best bet is to indicate a "Special Circumstance" that requires you to be placed in your most preferred region during the selection phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Haven, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

The process is known for being rigorous, and the reputation is deserved. You turn in a few essays at the beginning with your basic stats, and then they might call you for a phone interview. Then you go to an in-person group interview where you must give a 5-minute sample lesson (demonstrating that you know 5-step lesson planning), talk about an article related to education, and do a 1-on-1 interview with a recruiter.

Corps Member Interview

It's a long and detailed interview process with a lot of what appears to be unnecessary paperwork (like manually entering all classes into the online system). I found the final interview round most challenging. I recommend meeting with TFA alumni to prepare for the final interview, like the mock teaching exercise.

Corps Member Interview

Applied through the standard online process. Was required to submit an extensive work/academic history, answer questions about desire to join TFA/teaching philosophy, etc. Made it to next round, had to watch videos online of teaching scenarios and respond to questions about videos. Was given a phone interview which lasted ~30 minutes, covering basic behavioral topics (challenging experiences in group, why interested in TFA, etc.). Was rejected at this point in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Video scenario responses were quite open-ended and therefore challenging.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

The interview consists of an online application, a phone screen, and then an in-person interview where you teach a 5 minute sample lesson.

Interview Questions
    • The teaching of the sample lesson was the thing that threw most people off - be prepared!   Answer Question
    None

Corps Member Interview

First there is a written application, next a phone interview, then an in person interview that includes a model lesson, a "group" activity, and a 1:1 interview. The written application is very straight forward--the phone call felt a little uncomfortable, because I could tell what they wanted me to say, but I stuck to my thoughts, and it worked! Don't fake it!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your principal said "no" to the following ____? (Role play)   Answer Question
    No negotiations--except I was specific about the grade I wanted to teach.