Teach for America

Getting the Interview

111 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Corps Member Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Very competitive, lengthy, and interesting. Start with an online application. Then, most times, they follow up with a phone screen. Sometimes they will skip that part and invite you directly to the final round. The final rounds consists of a four to five hour interview with various stages: 5 minute sample lesson, group conversation, individual case, and behavioral interview.

Interview Question – You are trying to convince your principal to fund a field trip. How would you go about doing this?   View Answer

Corps Member

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – First, you complete an online application with three 300-word short answer questions. After that, you have to complete an online activity with multiple choice and short answer questions in response to reading or watching a video. After that, there is a thirty minute phone interview in which the interviewer will tell you a little bit about TFA and what they've in particular done. I withdrew my application before going further with this process because I'm looking for a gap year service opportunity that is just one year commitment and not two.

Interview Question – What was the hardest class you took in college and what did you have to do to succeed?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – 2 year program is a bit longer than I would like

Corps Member

I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process is very structured. First behavior phone interviews and a follow up to the letter of intent. After that there are SAT like tests to take and behavior/team work responses that are required. Then the final day in which a lesson plan and role play are used.

Interview Question – Under what scenario would you quit TFA?   Answer Question

Ithaca, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in May 2013.

Interview Details – I participated in the pilot program of the junior-year early deadline. The application was made available in February of my junior year and the in-person interview took place in early May. I found out that I was accepted in mid-May and learned my region but am still waiting to hear my grade/subject placement until the Fall. I liked being able to apply early and entering senior year with a job option. I was told if I was not selected through the Junior deadline I would have the option of applying again as a senior.

Interview Question – Was told not to disclose interview questions to   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Haven't been asked to accept or decline yet.

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – It's a long and detailed interview process with a lot of what appears to be unnecessary paperwork (like manually entering all classes into the online system). I found the final interview round most challenging. I recommend meeting with TFA alumni to prepare for the final interview, like the mock teaching exercise.

Interview Question – There weren't any really difficult questions   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Applied through the standard online process. Was required to submit an extensive work/academic history, answer questions about desire to join TFA/teaching philosophy, etc. Made it to next round, had to watch videos online of teaching scenarios and respond to questions about videos. Was given a phone interview which lasted ~30 minutes, covering basic behavioral topics (challenging experiences in group, why interested in TFA, etc.). Was rejected at this point in the process.

Interview Question – Video scenario responses were quite open-ended and therefore challenging.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – The interview consists of an online application, a phone screen, and then an in-person interview where you teach a 5 minute sample lesson.

Interview Question – The teaching of the sample lesson was the thing that threw most people off - be prepared!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Interview Details – Online application, online evaluations, phone interview, in person full day interviews involving presentation, group interview, and one on one interview

Interview Question – What would make you quit?   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2010.

Interview Details – Online application is followed most frequently by a phone screening interview, after which day-long interview is conducted, including individual and group activities (including a 5-minute lesson plan presentation), discussion (about pre-interview reading assignments), and then one-on-one interviews.

Interview Question – What, if anything, would make you leave the corps early?
Have you ever quit anything?
How do you stay organized?
Tell me about a challenge you overcame.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – First there is a written application, next a phone interview, then an in person interview that includes a model lesson, a "group" activity, and a 1:1 interview. The written application is very straight forward--the phone call felt a little uncomfortable, because I could tell what they wanted me to say, but I stuck to my thoughts, and it worked! Don't fake it!

Interview Question – What would you do if your principal said "no" to the following ____? (Role play)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations--except I was specific about the grade I wanted to teach.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America