Teach for America

Updated Dec 5, 2014

3.5

128 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Pretty intense process. First an online application then a phone interview, and if you make it past the phone interview you will have a final interview that includes a lesson plan presentation, one-one and group interview, and role-playing

Interview Questions
  • Pretty standard questions. Found most of them on glassdoor. Just do your research   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in September 2014.

It's a huge process, and they give you multiple dates and deadlines so they can weed out the people who are not willing to put forth the effort for this two year commitment. Show you are willing to help bridge the school inequality gap and your strongest leadership actions/attributes. Be as transparent as possible.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about your most recent business leadership endeavor and your strongest achievement.   View Answer
    Non-negotational, you put in your highest preferences and 3 places you absolutely don't want to be sent. If you want more chance of going to a higher priority corps school, apply to the earliest deadline you can.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in September 2012.

I actually want to write this review because I found an AWESOME resource that I think really helped my application, and I haven't seen anyone on here talk about it yet. A former corps member wrote a book called "Destination Teach For America" that helps people with their applications and interviews. It's on Amazon now, but I first found the book's website a few months ago (www.destinationteachforamerica). If you're set on getting into TFA, I would highly recommend looking at it.

Anyway, I enjoyed the interview process a lot, probably because I really wanted to get in and was excited about doing this for the next 2 years. The application consists of a letter of intent, resume, and a bunch of other questions that you fill out online. It asks a lot about leadership positions that you have had, and it asks for you to explain your positions and achievements with those leadership positions.

I had a phone interview with a current 2nd year corps member who was really nice, although the interview seemed really scripted. She asked me a lot of questions about Teach For America, and also standard interview-y questions. It took about 40 minutes. I thought it went well (and I guess it did because I was invited to the final interview).

The next step was doing an online activity and getting recommendations. I'd already lined up my people to give recommendations, so that was pretty easy. The online activity wasn't too bad either. Some of the data questions were really straight-forward, although a few of the questions seemed a bit confusing.

My final interview group had 11 people. Obviously I was the most nervous about the 5 minute lesson (although this book teaches you how to put together a lesson using a planning template, so I felt really prepared). People literally taught anything and everything, and all of the applicants helped each other out with their lessons. I liked that the 5 minute lesson was first because it helped us bond.

After that, we sat in groups and discussed articles that we had read. The interviewer sat away from our table and just took notes. It was cool getting in that environment, and I feel like that is what a lot of days with TFA corps members will be: talking about education with people who actually care. I liked this part too.

The 1 on 1 interview is pretty straightforward, like many other job interviews, with the exception of the role play situation that other reviewers have talked about. Again, the book I mentioned gave sample dialogue and advice about the role play, so I felt really prepared for that as well.

I know a lot of the information I talked about is already on Glassdoor from other reviewers, but I mainly wanted to sign up to share Destination Teach For America. I'm not saying I wouldn't have gotten in without it, but it was definitely helpful for me. Now that I'm in, I want to share it with you all.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, you are hired by a school in whatever region they send you to.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in January 2012.

Online Application-A LOT of paper work to fill out, got to the final step and was told I did not get it. Will never know if it was the sample teaching, the 1:1 or my resume.
    During the final interview, there is a hypothetical scenario of "what would you do?"

Interview Questions
    • You are in your first year of teaching 8th grade American government and civics at X school. Students have been learning about branches of gvt and want to start a student government, which the school has not had in the last 5yrs. With upcoming presidential elections, you think it would be a good idea to bring it back. Convince the interviewer, who acts as a assistant principal, that the students need this.   View Answer
    • How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in January 2010.

After uploading a detailed resume, including all classes and grades from college, and a letter of intent and essay, potential corps members must pass a phone screen asking general questions related to the organization's mission statement of closing the achievement gap. Especially strong candidates sometimes skip the phone screen all together and go straight to an in person interview. The in person interview takes all day, usually off site (i.e., not at your college campus.) This interview consists of a short sample lesson (so interviewers can see your presence in front of people), a panel interview, a group simulation (to screen your dynamics working with others), a role-play scenario (to see how you respond to situations in which you would have to be persistent and professional), a debrief of the role play, and a one-on-one interview in which you talk a lot about leadership experience, how you respond to adversity, and your attitudes toward education and low income communities. If you are a fit, you will be contacted on a certain date which you know ahead of time with your region, grade, and subject area placement.

Interview Questions
    • Your school principal is refusing to let you hold an additional tutoring session that your students desperately need because there is a pep rally. What do you say?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

The application consists of general background questions asking about education, experience, volunteering, club membership and leadership , as well as an essay. The next part of the process is the phone interview, where you may be asked to asked to describe yourself, your experiences in leadership, as well as your organization skills. The final interview consists of a 5 minute lesson plan, group interview (discussion format in response to a prompt), and a personal interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in October 2010.

The online application computes a numerical score for every application. Any score exceeding the threshold results in a phone and/or final interview.

The application scoring algorithm rewards points for the typical admissions stuff (SAT, GRE, GPA, etc. etc.) Just as important as the admissions-y stuff is the TFA traits they test for.

Always highlight experiences you've had that exhibit the following traits:
    -leadership
    -goal-setting
    -ability to find yourself at fault to fix a problem
    -ability to thrive from adversity
    -tolerance of different views
    -helping others out of a love for humanity

These types of traits are very intentionally coded into the possible answers you can choose from in the application.

Know that you're selling your brand when you're applying to TFA... while knowing that your brand really means their's.

Interview Questions
    • What would make you prematurely leave your region and not finish your 2 year commitment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Online application submission, selection for telephone interview, and then final interview that consisted of a demo lesson, group activity/observation, and one-on-one interview with a role-play. Many questions geared towards time-management, organization, and conflict resolution skills and are generally phrased as "describe a time when you...." There is an ideology behind the questions, so yes, there are 'wrong' answers, but as long as you are able to showcase leadership qualities and dedication, you should do well. Interviewers were always pretty friendly, though they seemed to sometimes be behind schedule (10-15 minute waits).

Interview Questions
    • Role-play scenario: If you were a teacher and you wanted to take your class on a field trip that you felt was beneficial to their learning, but I am an administrator who has told you no, what would you do?   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation is allowed for as placement in regions/content is a national logistics nightmare. However, if you are extended an offer, it's not impossible to negotiate for a different region/content, so long as you have a valid reason. Be mindful of Induction/Institute dates when applying and you'll have a general idea of what they can be flexible on. TFA staff (individuals) are always much more flexible and understanding than the official 'rules.'

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2009.

After submitting my initial application, I was told I was qualified enough to skip the phone interview and go directly to the in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I was asked to give a 5-minute lesson in any grade level/subject area. The interviewers cut you off once you hit the 5-minute mark. I then took a short quiz (very simple) and then participated in a group assessment, in which we had to problem-solve a school-level issue in 20 minutes. In the afternoon, I had my one-on-one interview with one of the two interviewers, in which I was asked to comment on my problem-solving experiences.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to address the interviewer as though he was a school principal and request that my high school students gain permission to check-out books from the school library for a research project. The school did not allow students to check out books because they were frequently lost or stolen. The challenge was problem-solving and suggesting solutions on the spot to the problem when the principal consistently refused my request for library privileges.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation with TFA- you are given a regional, grade level, and subject assignment and you can either accept or decline your offer. Salary is based on incoming teacher salary in the region, and negotiation with area principals is expressly forbidden by TFA.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

1. Complete an online essay and write information about yourself.
    2. The next phase is a phone interview, which was a lot behavioral interview questions -- Did you ever miss a deadline? What did you do in leadership roles etc.
    3. The final interview involves a five minute presentation which goes by really quickly. There is then a group interview where they give your group a problem to solve and then there is a 1 on 1 interview.