Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

online application, final interview

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Very structured interview process. Expectations for interviewees are clearly defined and interview sticks to those expectations. Each stage gets increasingly more involved and difficult. First round is focused on leadership positions, second round (phone) is mostly a behavioral interview, and the third round really assesses your desire to be in the classroom.

No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Online Application (see website for details). Then, you have to wait a long time. Then, a possible phone interview. Phone interview focused on areas of impact or leadership experience. Then, all day group interview followed by an individual interview. Had to do a mock lesson, group project, and discussions. Then, wait more to hear back. Overall, took 2 months.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Salary and benefits are provided by schools district.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long with a lot of repeated questions. Enthusiasm is everything! They're not expecting you to be an amazing teacher. But they do want people who are passionate and have strong leadership skills. As a teacher, your job is to give multiple presentations a day so part of the interview was a mock lesson. Don't worry about doing something too simple or too complicated. Just make sure you are prepared and give a strong presentation.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Step 1: Application

Step 2: Phone Interview (it is possible to skip straight to step 3)

Step 3: Final Interview
    LESSON: During the final interview you will be asked to teach a sample lesson to fellow applicants and Teach for America Staff evaluators. Lesson will be 5 minutes and cover any topic you desire. It is really to show your ability to speak publicly and develop at thoughtfully planned idea.
    INTERVIEW: In a one-on-one interview, you will also be asked how you might respond to a given situation in a school setting other and other questions about how your past experiences make you a good candidate for TFA.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were pretty straight forward, but my situational question was asking about how I might respond when students have a desire to start an initiative in the school and want me to approach administration.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

I went through the phone interview and was able to complete a virtual final (due to being out of the country). My virtual interview was group interview as well. Each of the participants did a mock lesson and we had to work together to respond to a scenario. It was a test to see our problem solving abilities as well as our ability to work collaboratively. After that, we had seperate interviews with traditional questions.

Interview Questions
    • My interviewer presented me with a scenario in which she was my principal and I wanted to propose a new program after she had already sd that no new programs cld be implemented in the remainder of the year. She gave me a few minutes to gather my thoughts, then I had to plead my case.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation, but I would encourage everyone who applies to teach for america to be sure they are interested in teaching.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

The hiring process is mutli-step and very long and somewhat exhausting, but overall, it is mostly enjoyable and really not too difficult. The application process is tiered and consists of an initial online application, two recommendations and a reference, an "online activity," a phone interview (sometimes), and a final interview. The final interview consists of a sample lesson, a group interview, a speech by the interviewer, and a personal interview. There are also many events such as Webinars, happy hours, etc. throughout the process which are "optional" but may or may not help in the admissions process.

The staff are very clear and up front with what they want to see from you, so it's just up to you to prepare. When they say they want you to demonstrate the seven core values that they purport, they mean that they will ask you about these literally and you best have an answer for them! Organization, leadership, etc. -- They won't try to infer whether you have these qualities; they will directly ask you. So be prepared. That said, while the (final) interview is definitely structured towards seeing your work ethic, your leadership skills, your drive, etc.-- you should also try to work in your "story," your passion, why you want to do TFA. I found the initial online application most helpful in being able to delineate this thoroughly.

And if you don't have the passion -- don't apply. TFA is not an easy thing. You're not going to be able to stick it out for two years in tough conditions with little pay if you don't have the innate excitement/passion for this type of work. The interviewers/TFA Staff are actually very helpful in helping you determine if you would be interested in this kind of experience. Sure, they want to recruit as many people to apply as possible, but they are fairly candid about their experiences as well. It doesn't look good for them to admit someone who will not be a good corps member/will drop out/etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very unexpected. Role play scenario could be a bit tough. Lesson could also cause some stress, but try not to worry about it too much!   Answer Question
    You are able to indicate preferences for where and what subject you want to teach, and TFA uses an algorithm to sort you into an assignment. Negotiation is next to impossible; reassignment is extremely rare. You must have a compelling personal reason I think and even then it's up in the air. Your best bet is to indicate a "Special Circumstance" that requires you to be placed in your most preferred region during the selection phase.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Very competitive, lengthy, and interesting. Start with an online application. Then, most times, they follow up with a phone screen. Sometimes they will skip that part and invite you directly to the final round. The final rounds consists of a four to five hour interview with various stages: 5 minute sample lesson, group conversation, individual case, and behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • You are trying to convince your principal to fund a field trip. How would you go about doing this?   View Answer

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

First, you complete an online application with three 300-word short answer questions. After that, you have to complete an online activity with multiple choice and short answer questions in response to reading or watching a video. After that, there is a thirty minute phone interview in which the interviewer will tell you a little bit about TFA and what they've in particular done. I withdrew my application before going further with this process because I'm looking for a gap year service opportunity that is just one year commitment and not two.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest class you took in college and what did you have to do to succeed?   Answer Question

2 year program is a bit longer than I would like