Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The application process has multiple steps: a written application, a phone interview (these days), and an in person interview. The in person interview includes personal/scenario-type questions as well as a sample lesson. They are particularly interested in how you deal with adversity or difficult situations in the personal interview and be prepared to discuss your strategies for multitasking/organization.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there is no negotiation. think carefully about your region ranking - if you rank a region of "high need" highly you are very likely to be assigned there if accepted

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Long interview process that begins with a lengthy application. Then it is followed by phone interview and if you make it to the next round it is an in person interview that lasts about 4 hours.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

The process has three rounds. Application, Telephone Interview, Group interview. The questions focus on your ability to be a team player and your ability to work with others in various situations.

Interview Questions

• We were given a scenario that could occur in the school and how you would handle that case   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Began with the online application and essays, from there moved to a phone interview and then a full day final interview that consisted of a sample lesson teach, group discussion and one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a policy you did not agree with, but were expected to follow?   Answer Question

The location I was matched with was not my first choice.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Questions

• TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

You have to apply online through the TFA website. The application consists of leadership/work experience and some essay questions. Then, after the deadline period ends, you'll hear within about 2 weeks whether or not you have been invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes and the interviewer asks you to expand on some of your initial application, then asks you some questions related to your leadership experience, organizational skills, and why you want to join TFA. After another week or so, you may be invited to the final interview stage, where you will present a 5-minute lesson plan, participate in a group activity, and an individual interview. It's a fairly relaxed interview setting, and the process isn't competitive in the sense that only a select number of people in your group can get the job. If they think you are qualified, you will get hired. Be sure to use the STAR method for answering their questions; that's what they recommend.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you failed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The hiring process includes an online application, phone interview, online activity, and final interview. Although this is the full multi-step layout, some applicants may be invited straight to the final interview and thus be able to skip the phone interview and/or online activity portions. Over all, Teach For America is an amazing organization and their leadership team members were very informative and positive to interact with throughout the entire recruitment/application process.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

online Application, phone interview, final group interview

Corps Member Interview

Interview

First you submit your application, which is pretty straight forward. Then you have the phone interview and a test online. The phone interview is rather basic, they just ask you typical interview questions. Basically explaining your resume to them. The "test" is just a few logic questions. The last step is the 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and the in person interview. For the 5 minute lesson, just practice and pick something you are familiar with. Most importantly, MAKE IT FOLLOW THE FORMAT OF AN ACTUAL LESSON, and MAKE IT CREATIVE! You really need to display that you know the format of a lesson plan. For the group activity, be assertive but not too aggressive. Make valid points, don't talk for the sake of talking. And the final interview only took me about 25 minutes, they ask how you would ask the principal for field trip funding, etc. I walked away convinced I didn't get the job because the interview was so standardized I couldn't tell what he thought of me.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince a principal for funding for a field trip?   1 Answer

TFA couldn't guarantee me placement in a SPED classroom, so I decided to go the traditional route of becoming a teacher.