Teach for America

Average Difficulty
115 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – The interview consists of an online application, a phone screen, and then an in-person interview where you teach a 5 minute sample lesson.

Interview Question – The teaching of the sample lesson was the thing that threw most people off - be prepared!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Interview Details – Online application, online evaluations, phone interview, in person full day interviews involving presentation, group interview, and one on one interview

Interview Question – What would make you quit?   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2010.

Interview Details – Online application is followed most frequently by a phone screening interview, after which day-long interview is conducted, including individual and group activities (including a 5-minute lesson plan presentation), discussion (about pre-interview reading assignments), and then one-on-one interviews.

Interview Question – What, if anything, would make you leave the corps early?
Have you ever quit anything?
How do you stay organized?
Tell me about a challenge you overcame.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – First there is a written application, next a phone interview, then an in person interview that includes a model lesson, a "group" activity, and a 1:1 interview. The written application is very straight forward--the phone call felt a little uncomfortable, because I could tell what they wanted me to say, but I stuck to my thoughts, and it worked! Don't fake it!

Interview Question – What would you do if your principal said "no" to the following ____? (Role play)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations--except I was specific about the grade I wanted to teach.

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – There are three steps to the application process. 1.) An Application 2.) A phone Interview 3.) A day long final interview. They are very selective in their practices and they do not give you feedback so I am still unaware of what I did wrong during the final interview

Interview Question – Under what circumstance would you leave the corps?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Lengthy initial online application, phone interview, then full-day interview. Make sure that you know their core values and what they are about as an organization. They are very data-driven and want to know specific examples of your leadership showcased through particular situations.

Interview Question – Have you ever missed a deadline? Why?   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2010.

Interview Details – The selection process changes on a year-to-year basis but tends to follow the same framework of 1) Initial application/letter of intent/minimum qualification check, 2) Secondary Phone Screening (usually with a TFA Alum), 3) An in-person selection day (With a TFA staff member). The in-person interview day is usually 3-5 hours and was composed of a brief sample lesson, group working observation session, a 1:1 interview and a brief written situational response test.

TFA is a teacher-leadership program and it is important to demonstrate leadership ability rather than just knowledge of educational theory or interest in social justice.

Interview Questions

• "What would cause you to drop out of the corps?"   View Answer
  • "Which of our core values are you most aligned with/not most aligned with?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. You are placed in your region, subject and school with little to no say. That is part of the commitment that some CM's are not prepared for.

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Applied online for the first interview process. Got an email saying I could skip the phone interview and go directly to the in-person interview. The in-person interview took about 3 or 4 hours with a group section and then a personal 1-on-1 interview. I was contacted about a month later and was told I was accepted.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you set a goal and didn't reach it. How did you recover?   Answer Question

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2012.

Interview Details – Extremely long online application process. (rec letters, transcripts, cover letter, resume, etc.).

You may or may not have to participate in a phone interview before being moved to the next step.

You have to take a 3 hour online "assessment" where you are asked how you would handle certain teaching situations.

The 4 hour interview consists of a private interview where they will ask you about how you answered on your assessment, your cover letter, etc. You also have a sample lesson you present to your group and a group exercise where you talk about articles you were asked to read beforehand. The group exercise is seeing how well you can work with others.

You will then recieve an offer and placement that may or may not be changed.

Interview Question – If you don't want to stay in teaching forever, why do you want to complete this program.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. If you are comfortable being taken advantage of and being in an uncomfortable work enviorment in exchange for doing good, this would be a great position for you. If you get stressed easily, get your feelings hurt, or can't handle hard situations I wouldn't advise accepting a position.

Corps Member

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The application is lengthy and requires a lot of jumping through hoops. If they like what they see on paper, you get a phone interview. If you pass that, you advance to a final interview day where you complete an activity in a small group, delivery a demo lesson to that group, and do a one-on-one interview.

Interview Question – Why Teach for America in particular?   Answer Question