Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions & Reviews

117 interviews

3.5

117 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corps Member Interview

It's a long and detailed interview process with a lot of what appears to be unnecessary paperwork (like manually entering all classes into the online system). I found the final interview round most challenging. I recommend meeting with TFA alumni to prepare for the final interview, like the mock teaching exercise.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Applied through the standard online process. Was required to submit an extensive work/academic history, answer questions about desire to join TFA/teaching philosophy, etc. Made it to next round, had to watch videos online of teaching scenarios and respond to questions about videos. Was given a phone interview which lasted ~30 minutes, covering basic behavioral topics (challenging experiences in group, why interested in TFA, etc.). Was rejected at this point in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Video scenario responses were quite open-ended and therefore challenging.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

The interview consists of an online application, a phone screen, and then an in-person interview where you teach a 5 minute sample lesson.

Interview Questions
    • The teaching of the sample lesson was the thing that threw most people off - be prepared!   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Online application, online evaluations, phone interview, in person full day interviews involving presentation, group interview, and one on one interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2010.

Online application is followed most frequently by a phone screening interview, after which day-long interview is conducted, including individual and group activities (including a 5-minute lesson plan presentation), discussion (about pre-interview reading assignments), and then one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What, if anything, would make you leave the corps early?
      Have you ever quit anything?
      How do you stay organized?
      Tell me about a challenge you overcame.
        Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

First there is a written application, next a phone interview, then an in person interview that includes a model lesson, a "group" activity, and a 1:1 interview. The written application is very straight forward--the phone call felt a little uncomfortable, because I could tell what they wanted me to say, but I stuck to my thoughts, and it worked! Don't fake it!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your principal said "no" to the following ____? (Role play)   Answer Question
    No negotiations--except I was specific about the grade I wanted to teach.

Corps Member Interview

There are three steps to the application process. 1.) An Application 2.) A phone Interview 3.) A day long final interview. They are very selective in their practices and they do not give you feedback so I am still unaware of what I did wrong during the final interview

Corps Member Interview

Lengthy initial online application, phone interview, then full-day interview. Make sure that you know their core values and what they are about as an organization. They are very data-driven and want to know specific examples of your leadership showcased through particular situations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2010.

The selection process changes on a year-to-year basis but tends to follow the same framework of 1) Initial application/letter of intent/minimum qualification check, 2) Secondary Phone Screening (usually with a TFA Alum), 3) An in-person selection day (With a TFA staff member). The in-person interview day is usually 3-5 hours and was composed of a brief sample lesson, group working observation session, a 1:1 interview and a brief written situational response test.

TFA is a teacher-leadership program and it is important to demonstrate leadership ability rather than just knowledge of educational theory or interest in social justice.

Interview Questions
    • "What would cause you to drop out of the corps?"   View Answer
    • "Which of our core values are you most aligned with/not most aligned with?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase. You are placed in your region, subject and school with little to no say. That is part of the commitment that some CM's are not prepared for.

Corps Member Interview

Applied online for the first interview process. Got an email saying I could skip the phone interview and go directly to the in-person interview. The in-person interview took about 3 or 4 hours with a group section and then a personal 1-on-1 interview. I was contacted about a month later and was told I was accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you set a goal and didn't reach it. How did you recover?   Answer Question