Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.5

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interviews are wonderful experience to see what the Teach For America culture is like. It is an intense process, much like the job will be if you are chosen. The phone interviews can seem a bit awkward, but that only makes the unperson interview seem much more natural. Preparing a mock lesson can seem intimidating at first, but the key is confidence and interaction.

Interview Questions
  • During the phone interview I was asked what the most difficult class I've taken in college was and how I handled it.   Answer Question
You do not get to negotiate with TFA

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corp Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

First, an online form is filled out, where you answer questions about you, your experience, etc. You also upload a resume. If you advance, there is a phone interview. If you advance past that, there is a day-long, in-person interview. The interview includes a teaching sample, small group work, and a personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to go into great detail of a time when you overcame a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Lengthy and intensive. The program is clearly looking for candidates that share their conviction for minimizing class differences in educational opportunity. All employees clearly share strong values and dedication to the program. Not just about how well you did in college but they are definitely looking for holistically motivated individuals... Final interview was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be and it was helpful to see what kind of work you would be doing!

Not able to negotiate.

online application, final interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Very structured interview process. Expectations for interviewees are clearly defined and interview sticks to those expectations. Each stage gets increasingly more involved and difficult. First round is focused on leadership positions, second round (phone) is mostly a behavioral interview, and the third round really assesses your desire to be in the classroom.

No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2014.

Process included an online application, which was straightforward enough, but took a while to complete. This was followed by a phone interview - I'm not supposed to share the questions, but most of them can be found on glassdoor - and an online activity, which was somewhat odd.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long with a lot of repeated questions. Enthusiasm is everything! They're not expecting you to be an amazing teacher. But they do want people who are passionate and have strong leadership skills. As a teacher, your job is to give multiple presentations a day so part of the interview was a mock lesson. Don't worry about doing something too simple or too complicated. Just make sure you are prepared and give a strong presentation.

Step 1: Application

Step 2: Phone Interview (it is possible to skip straight to step 3)

Step 3: Final Interview
    LESSON: During the final interview you will be asked to teach a sample lesson to fellow applicants and Teach for America Staff evaluators. Lesson will be 5 minutes and cover any topic you desire. It is really to show your ability to speak publicly and develop at thoughtfully planned idea.
    INTERVIEW: In a one-on-one interview, you will also be asked how you might respond to a given situation in a school setting other and other questions about how your past experiences make you a good candidate for TFA.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were pretty straight forward, but my situational question was asking about how I might respond when students have a desire to start an initiative in the school and want me to approach administration.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

I went through the phone interview and was able to complete a virtual final (due to being out of the country). My virtual interview was group interview as well. Each of the participants did a mock lesson and we had to work together to respond to a scenario. It was a test to see our problem solving abilities as well as our ability to work collaboratively. After that, we had seperate interviews with traditional questions.

Interview Questions
    • My interviewer presented me with a scenario in which she was my principal and I wanted to propose a new program after she had already sd that no new programs cld be implemented in the remainder of the year. She gave me a few minutes to gather my thoughts, then I had to plead my case.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation, but I would encourage everyone who applies to teach for america to be sure they are interested in teaching.