Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH) in March 2010.

Interview

Online application is followed most frequently by a phone screening interview, after which day-long interview is conducted, including individual and group activities (including a 5-minute lesson plan presentation), discussion (about pre-interview reading assignments), and then one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions

• What, if anything, would make you leave the corps early?
    Have you ever quit anything?
    How do you stay organized?
    Tell me about a challenge you overcame.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Nashville, TN) in November 2012.

Interview

Online application, online evaluations, phone interview, in person full day interviews involving presentation, group interview, and one on one interview

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Step 1: Application

Step 2: Phone Interview (it is possible to skip straight to step 3)

Step 3: Final Interview
    LESSON: During the final interview you will be asked to teach a sample lesson to fellow applicants and Teach for America Staff evaluators. Lesson will be 5 minutes and cover any topic you desire. It is really to show your ability to speak publicly and develop at thoughtfully planned idea.
    INTERVIEW: In a one-on-one interview, you will also be asked how you might respond to a given situation in a school setting other and other questions about how your past experiences make you a good candidate for TFA.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were pretty straight forward, but my situational question was asking about how I might respond when students have a desire to start an initiative in the school and want me to approach administration.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is long with a lot of repeated questions. Enthusiasm is everything! They're not expecting you to be an amazing teacher. But they do want people who are passionate and have strong leadership skills. As a teacher, your job is to give multiple presentations a day so part of the interview was a mock lesson. Don't worry about doing something too simple or too complicated. Just make sure you are prepared and give a strong presentation.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Interview

Online Application (see website for details). Then, you have to wait a long time. Then, a possible phone interview. Phone interview focused on areas of impact or leadership experience. Then, all day group interview followed by an individual interview. Had to do a mock lesson, group project, and discussions. Then, wait more to hear back. Overall, took 2 months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary and benefits are provided by schools district.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

I actually want to write this review because I found an AWESOME resource that I think really helped my application, and I haven't seen anyone on here talk about it yet. A former corps member wrote a book called "Destination Teach For America" that helps people with their applications and interviews. It's on Amazon now, but I first found the book's website a few months ago (www.destinationteachforamerica). If you're set on getting into TFA, I would highly recommend looking at it.

Anyway, I enjoyed the interview process a lot, probably because I really wanted to get in and was excited about doing this for the next 2 years. The application consists of a letter of intent, resume, and a bunch of other questions that you fill out online. It asks a lot about leadership positions that you have had, and it asks for you to explain your positions and achievements with those leadership positions.

I had a phone interview with a current 2nd year corps member who was really nice, although the interview seemed really scripted. She asked me a lot of questions about Teach For America, and also standard interview-y questions. It took about 40 minutes. I thought it went well (and I guess it did because I was invited to the final interview).

The next step was doing an online activity and getting recommendations. I'd already lined up my people to give recommendations, so that was pretty easy. The online activity wasn't too bad either. Some of the data questions were really straight-forward, although a few of the questions seemed a bit confusing.

My final interview group had 11 people. Obviously I was the most nervous about the 5 minute lesson (although this book teaches you how to put together a lesson using a planning template, so I felt really prepared). People literally taught anything and everything, and all of the applicants helped each other out with their lessons. I liked that the 5 minute lesson was first because it helped us bond.

After that, we sat in groups and discussed articles that we had read. The interviewer sat away from our table and just took notes. It was cool getting in that environment, and I feel like that is what a lot of days with TFA corps members will be: talking about education with people who actually care. I liked this part too.

The 1 on 1 interview is pretty straightforward, like many other job interviews, with the exception of the role play situation that other reviewers have talked about. Again, the book I mentioned gave sample dialogue and advice about the role play, so I felt really prepared for that as well.

I know a lot of the information I talked about is already on Glassdoor from other reviewers, but I mainly wanted to sign up to share Destination Teach For America. I'm not saying I wouldn't have gotten in without it, but it was definitely helpful for me. Now that I'm in, I want to share it with you all.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations, you are hired by a school in whatever region they send you to.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in January 2012.

Interview

Online Application-A LOT of paper work to fill out, got to the final step and was told I did not get it. Will never know if it was the sample teaching, the 1:1 or my resume.
    During the final interview, there is a hypothetical scenario of "what would you do?"

Interview Questions

• You are in your first year of teaching 8th grade American government and civics at X school. Students have been learning about branches of gvt and want to start a student government, which the school has not had in the last 5yrs. With upcoming presidential elections, you think it would be a good idea to bring it back. Convince the interviewer, who acts as a assistant principal, that the students need this.   1 Answer
    • How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO) in January 2010.

Interview

After uploading a detailed resume, including all classes and grades from college, and a letter of intent and essay, potential corps members must pass a phone screen asking general questions related to the organization's mission statement of closing the achievement gap. Especially strong candidates sometimes skip the phone screen all together and go straight to an in person interview. The in person interview takes all day, usually off site (i.e., not at your college campus.) This interview consists of a short sample lesson (so interviewers can see your presence in front of people), a panel interview, a group simulation (to screen your dynamics working with others), a role-play scenario (to see how you respond to situations in which you would have to be persistent and professional), a debrief of the role play, and a one-on-one interview in which you talk a lot about leadership experience, how you respond to adversity, and your attitudes toward education and low income communities. If you are a fit, you will be contacted on a certain date which you know ahead of time with your region, grade, and subject area placement.

Interview Questions

• Your school principal is refusing to let you hold an additional tutoring session that your students desperately need because there is a pep rally. What do you say?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

The application consists of general background questions asking about education, experience, volunteering, club membership and leadership , as well as an essay. The next part of the process is the phone interview, where you may be asked to asked to describe yourself, your experiences in leadership, as well as your organization skills. The final interview consists of a 5 minute lesson plan, group interview (discussion format in response to a prompt), and a personal interview.