Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014

3.5

125 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corps Member Interview

written application, Phone interview and then final interview

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2013.

Applied online and received an email to be invited for a phone interview which lasted less than 20 minutes and had generic questions about TFA and mission. I think I did fine on the interview but I guess I’ll just wait and see till the 20th if I’ve been invited for the final interview. My interviewer was very polite and friendly and overall the process has been pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to teach rather than some other medium to help children?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2013.

I completed the application, online activity and phone interview

Corp Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

The phone interview was all of the basic behavioral questions. One thing that I have not seen anyone else mention is to make sure you really create a connection with your interview. I think this is a good determination if you move forward. My interview was very friendly and reacted to my answers like a normal conversation as opposed to one of my friends who interviewed and she said her interviewer just said ok to all of her answers. This could be different for everyone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

A rather extensive interview process, with online application followed by phone interviews, multiple short online tasks and in person final interview involving the teaching of a 5 minute lesson.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Claremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Claremont, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

TFA is very transparent. Prior to my phone and in-person interview, I studied their website and mission diligently (TFA recommends doing this.) I also went online and looked for suggestions as to how best to prepare for the phone and in-person interview. I would highly recommend preparing several (maybe 3 to 4) vignettes that highlight your leadership abilities. It may even be good to detail a time when you struggled or even failed to accomplish a goal. However, if you choose to include a vignette of this type, be sure to make clear the lessons/principles you took away from that experience and how it may have helped you to approach similar situations.

Interview Questions
    • TFA is pretty transparent about their interview process. Though, little information is given regarding the actual questions they might ask, they do provide several suggestions in follow-up e-mails about how to tackle and prepare for the interview.   Answer Question
    At first I was placed in a region far from home, but I was able to get a regional transfer. Keep in mind, that my situation is not typical. TFA states that their offers are usually final. The placement team works to place you in one of your preferred regions, but they necessarily have to do so within the contexts of regional/employer needs i.e. if you lack significant coursework in the science or math, it will be difficult for them to place you in the Bay Area , as this region is in need of teachers competent in that subject.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

1. Complete an online essay and write information about yourself.
    2. The next phase is a phone interview, which was a lot behavioral interview questions -- Did you ever miss a deadline? What did you do in leadership roles etc.
    3. The final interview involves a five minute presentation which goes by really quickly. There is then a group interview where they give your group a problem to solve and then there is a 1 on 1 interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2012.

The interview process is intense - there are phone interviews, writing samples, and a day long group interview in which you teach to other for five minutes. They want to see that you are organized, passionate, and talented at teaching. During the teaching interview, its important to cold call on people.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if you want to take your class on a field trip, but the principle is reluctant to agree?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2012.

Several steps to interview process beyond the basic interviews (phone/in person interviews) that you have to complete online. Over the course of your application you have to fill out several questionnaires about readings and such that they provide. These will also be referenced in your in person interviews. Other deadlines: selecting cities to work, entering your entire school transcript manually, submitting an official transcript, etc. Occasionally webinars are provided to help your process

Interview Questions
    • What was your vision when you entered ______ leadership position?   Answer Question

Research placement options before you add them to your list (see Seattle)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

People say TFA's application process is "very rigorous", but honestly, it was one of the easiest interview processes I've ever been through. Starts with an online, written application [personal statement (my advice: don't over-analyze the personal statement! say what you mean, mean what you say--if you're speaking from the heart, it's simple. don't get me wrong, you should edit just to make sure there aren't any grammatical errors or misspellings), description of leadership positions (very important to have leadership experience!), and a resume (try to tailor it a bit for TFA by highlighting any leadership positions or education-related experiences)]. Next is either an invite for a phone interview or final interview (I went straight to the final interview, so I'm not really sure what the phone interview entails). Final interview is a day-long process that starts with teaching a 5-minute lesson (my advice: KEEP IT SIMPLE!! Teach something very basic, elementary-level--use simple handouts, make sure to check for understanding by asking questions throughout to "the class" and/or finding some other way to check for understanding), next is a group activity (pretty simple--I'm not positive what they were looking for in this activity, but I'd emphasize being a team player (don't try to overshadow one another), give positive feedback, and keeping in mind TFA's ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap. Last is the 1-on-1 interviews--just be open and honest. Be sure to look at the 7 traits on the "Who We Look For" section of the TFA website and try to convey these traits in your answers. Good luck future TFA applicants :)

Interview Questions
    • How do you stay organized? What's something you could do better as far as staying organized?   Answer Question

Love TFA, but I was unable to relocate.