Teach for America

3.5

127 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2012.

Several steps to interview process beyond the basic interviews (phone/in person interviews) that you have to complete online. Over the course of your application you have to fill out several questionnaires about readings and such that they provide. These will also be referenced in your in person interviews. Other deadlines: selecting cities to work, entering your entire school transcript manually, submitting an official transcript, etc. Occasionally webinars are provided to help your process

Interview Questions
  • What was your vision when you entered ______ leadership position?   Answer Question

Research placement options before you add them to your list (see Seattle)

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

People say TFA's application process is "very rigorous", but honestly, it was one of the easiest interview processes I've ever been through. Starts with an online, written application [personal statement (my advice: don't over-analyze the personal statement! say what you mean, mean what you say--if you're speaking from the heart, it's simple. don't get me wrong, you should edit just to make sure there aren't any grammatical errors or misspellings), description of leadership positions (very important to have leadership experience!), and a resume (try to tailor it a bit for TFA by highlighting any leadership positions or education-related experiences)]. Next is either an invite for a phone interview or final interview (I went straight to the final interview, so I'm not really sure what the phone interview entails). Final interview is a day-long process that starts with teaching a 5-minute lesson (my advice: KEEP IT SIMPLE!! Teach something very basic, elementary-level--use simple handouts, make sure to check for understanding by asking questions throughout to "the class" and/or finding some other way to check for understanding), next is a group activity (pretty simple--I'm not positive what they were looking for in this activity, but I'd emphasize being a team player (don't try to overshadow one another), give positive feedback, and keeping in mind TFA's ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap. Last is the 1-on-1 interviews--just be open and honest. Be sure to look at the 7 traits on the "Who We Look For" section of the TFA website and try to convey these traits in your answers. Good luck future TFA applicants :)

Interview Questions
    • How do you stay organized? What's something you could do better as far as staying organized?   Answer Question

Love TFA, but I was unable to relocate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Online application, online evaluations, phone interview, in person full day interviews involving presentation, group interview, and one on one interview

Corps Member Interview

Online Application (see website for details). Then, you have to wait a long time. Then, a possible phone interview. Phone interview focused on areas of impact or leadership experience. Then, all day group interview followed by an individual interview. Had to do a mock lesson, group project, and discussions. Then, wait more to hear back. Overall, took 2 months.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Salary and benefits are provided by schools district.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in October 2012.

The application process is very extensive. The first step is to submit an online application, which includes biographical information, resume, and an essay explaining why you wish to join TFA. The next step is a phone interview. If you make it past the phone interview, you are invited to the final interview. At the final interview you prepare a 5 minute lesson (there is a strict time limit), participate in a group discussion, and attend a 30-45 minute one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the one-on-one interview was the role-playing scenario. The goal of the scenario is for you to demonstrate your communication abilities and your ability to foresee potential difficulties.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation about the offer. You submit preferences before hand concerning subject and area placement, but once an offer is made it is very difficult to change.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in October 2012.

You begin with an online application that can be a bit tedious. It involves writing an essay, getting people to fill out reference forms, and lots of information regarding yourself and your academic record. You have to send in copies of personal documents, fill in every collegiate course you have taken corresponding with grades, etc. I was able to bypass the phone interview and go straight to the in-person interview. That interview is exactly what they prep you for. You have a teaching time in the morning where you teach the interviewers along with other prospective Corps Members (who also teach) for a five minute segment. It is much shorter than it seems and is less stressful than it sounds even if you have no teaching experience. Then, you progress to a group case study. Then is a one-on-one interview that asks typical behavioral questions, questions about past experiences, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Most Unexpected: Why did you drop a specific course in college?   View Answer

I made a mistake in listing my regional preferences. When I received my offer, it was in a region I could not accept. When I sought reassignment, they told me I could not receive another placement unless both of my parents were sole terminally ill and I was the sole caretaker.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in September 2012.

I actually want to write this review because I found an AWESOME resource that I think really helped my application, and I haven't seen anyone on here talk about it yet. A former corps member wrote a book called "Destination Teach For America" that helps people with their applications and interviews. It's on Amazon now, but I first found the book's website a few months ago (www.destinationteachforamerica). If you're set on getting into TFA, I would highly recommend looking at it.

Anyway, I enjoyed the interview process a lot, probably because I really wanted to get in and was excited about doing this for the next 2 years. The application consists of a letter of intent, resume, and a bunch of other questions that you fill out online. It asks a lot about leadership positions that you have had, and it asks for you to explain your positions and achievements with those leadership positions.

I had a phone interview with a current 2nd year corps member who was really nice, although the interview seemed really scripted. She asked me a lot of questions about Teach For America, and also standard interview-y questions. It took about 40 minutes. I thought it went well (and I guess it did because I was invited to the final interview).

The next step was doing an online activity and getting recommendations. I'd already lined up my people to give recommendations, so that was pretty easy. The online activity wasn't too bad either. Some of the data questions were really straight-forward, although a few of the questions seemed a bit confusing.

My final interview group had 11 people. Obviously I was the most nervous about the 5 minute lesson (although this book teaches you how to put together a lesson using a planning template, so I felt really prepared). People literally taught anything and everything, and all of the applicants helped each other out with their lessons. I liked that the 5 minute lesson was first because it helped us bond.

After that, we sat in groups and discussed articles that we had read. The interviewer sat away from our table and just took notes. It was cool getting in that environment, and I feel like that is what a lot of days with TFA corps members will be: talking about education with people who actually care. I liked this part too.

The 1 on 1 interview is pretty straightforward, like many other job interviews, with the exception of the role play situation that other reviewers have talked about. Again, the book I mentioned gave sample dialogue and advice about the role play, so I felt really prepared for that as well.

I know a lot of the information I talked about is already on Glassdoor from other reviewers, but I mainly wanted to sign up to share Destination Teach For America. I'm not saying I wouldn't have gotten in without it, but it was definitely helpful for me. Now that I'm in, I want to share it with you all.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, you are hired by a school in whatever region they send you to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Online application submission, selection for telephone interview, and then final interview that consisted of a demo lesson, group activity/observation, and one-on-one interview with a role-play. Many questions geared towards time-management, organization, and conflict resolution skills and are generally phrased as "describe a time when you...." There is an ideology behind the questions, so yes, there are 'wrong' answers, but as long as you are able to showcase leadership qualities and dedication, you should do well. Interviewers were always pretty friendly, though they seemed to sometimes be behind schedule (10-15 minute waits).

Interview Questions
    • Role-play scenario: If you were a teacher and you wanted to take your class on a field trip that you felt was beneficial to their learning, but I am an administrator who has told you no, what would you do?   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation is allowed for as placement in regions/content is a national logistics nightmare. However, if you are extended an offer, it's not impossible to negotiate for a different region/content, so long as you have a valid reason. Be mindful of Induction/Institute dates when applying and you'll have a general idea of what they can be flexible on. TFA staff (individuals) are always much more flexible and understanding than the official 'rules.'

Corps Member Interview

interviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Hiring process is very structured. First behavior phone interviews and a follow up to the letter of intent. After that there are SAT like tests to take and behavior/team work responses that are required. Then the final day in which a lesson plan and role play are used.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2012.

The application process has multiple steps. Beyond an initial application where you answer a few general questions [why do you want to join Teach For America], you are basically submitting a resume for the first round. Then, if you are moving forward, they will contact you for either a phone interview or to let you know that you are advancing to the final round. They state that getting a phone interview does not mean you are somehow not 'as good' as someone who advances to the final stage, though it does introduce one more opportunity for you to be eliminated from the process. The final interview is an all day commitment. I don't have specific knowledge about the phone interview because I advanced to the final round. In a room with about 10 or so other applicants, you will have to present a 5 minute sample lesson. The key to this portion is your ability to name a specific objective that you will teach and literally achieve that objective such that you can demonstrate student mastery of the objective. The other applicants role play being your students during this portion, in addition to the interviewers who tend to take on 'adversarial' roles. Afterwards there is a group activity. The group has a limited amount of time to read a prompt relating to a school issue, such as expanding a program and seeking out approval from a principal who has every reason to say no. During this time, interviewers are walking around and listening/observing. This is not the time to overtalk/interrupt or 'be the boss', but rather demonstrate that you can work productively with a group of people. Finally, you will have a one on one interview where you are asked to discuss in detail how you manage tasks in high pressure situations.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what I would do in a situation where I would not meet a deadline for a project.   View Answer
    I was given the choice of my top 5 cities and I got my #1 choice. I was also given choices for subjects to teach and got one of my middle range choices.