Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (New Haven, CT) in October 2013.

Interview

The process is known for being rigorous, and the reputation is deserved. You turn in a few essays at the beginning with your basic stats, and then they might call you for a phone interview. Then you go to an in-person group interview where you must give a 5-minute sample lesson (demonstrating that you know 5-step lesson planning), talk about an article related to education, and do a 1-on-1 interview with a recruiter.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Interview

It's a long and detailed interview process with a lot of what appears to be unnecessary paperwork (like manually entering all classes into the online system). I found the final interview round most challenging. I recommend meeting with TFA alumni to prepare for the final interview, like the mock teaching exercise.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

The interview consists of an online application, a phone screen, and then an in-person interview where you teach a 5 minute sample lesson.

Interview Questions

• The teaching of the sample lesson was the thing that threw most people off - be prepared!   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Corps Member Interview

Interview

First there is a written application, next a phone interview, then an in person interview that includes a model lesson, a "group" activity, and a 1:1 interview. The written application is very straight forward--the phone call felt a little uncomfortable, because I could tell what they wanted me to say, but I stuck to my thoughts, and it worked! Don't fake it!

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your principal said "no" to the following ____? (Role play)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations--except I was specific about the grade I wanted to teach.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

There are three steps to the application process. 1.) An Application 2.) A phone Interview 3.) A day long final interview. They are very selective in their practices and they do not give you feedback so I am still unaware of what I did wrong during the final interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Ithaca, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

I participated in the pilot program of the junior-year early deadline. The application was made available in February of my junior year and the in-person interview took place in early May. I found out that I was accepted in mid-May and learned my region but am still waiting to hear my grade/subject placement until the Fall. I liked being able to apply early and entering senior year with a job option. I was told if I was not selected through the Junior deadline I would have the option of applying again as a senior.

Interview Questions

Haven't been asked to accept or decline yet.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Lengthy initial online application, phone interview, then full-day interview. Make sure that you know their core values and what they are about as an organization. They are very data-driven and want to know specific examples of your leadership showcased through particular situations.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Applied online for the first interview process. Got an email saying I could skip the phone interview and go directly to the in-person interview. The in-person interview took about 3 or 4 hours with a group section and then a personal 1-on-1 interview. I was contacted about a month later and was told I was accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you set a goal and didn't reach it. How did you recover?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The application is lengthy and requires a lot of jumping through hoops. If they like what they see on paper, you get a phone interview. If you pass that, you advance to a final interview day where you complete an activity in a small group, delivery a demo lesson to that group, and do a one-on-one interview.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

written application, Phone interview and then final interview