Teach for America

3.5

127 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in February 2012.

There was an initial application, then a phone interview, then an online assessment, then an in-person interview. Overall, the process took about two months. Teach For America offers a lot of resources throughout the process.

Interview Questions
  • Which is more important, creating a supportive environment for your students or expecting high academic performance?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsburg, VA

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2012.

Submitted application and bypassed phone interview. Interview day consisted of a presentation, group conversation, and 1:1 interview. The interviewers spent most of the time taking copious notes on every word said. 1:1 interview last about 45 minutes and included going over resume and small role play. Was less of a conversation; interviewer wrote down almost every word said. Interviewers were friendly and the interview was not stressful. However, my perception was that TfA continues to be all about "drinking its own KoolAid." Received and declined offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you talk to a principal about starting a new club?   Answer Question

Go find out more about TfA -- I had a lot of problems with their politics.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in January 2012.

Extremely long online application process. (rec letters, transcripts, cover letter, resume, etc.).

You may or may not have to participate in a phone interview before being moved to the next step.

You have to take a 3 hour online "assessment" where you are asked how you would handle certain teaching situations.

The 4 hour interview consists of a private interview where they will ask you about how you answered on your assessment, your cover letter, etc. You also have a sample lesson you present to your group and a group exercise where you talk about articles you were asked to read beforehand. The group exercise is seeing how well you can work with others.

You will then recieve an offer and placement that may or may not be changed.

Interview Questions
    • If you don't want to stay in teaching forever, why do you want to complete this program.   View Answer
    No negotiation. If you are comfortable being taken advantage of and being in an uncomfortable work enviorment in exchange for doing good, this would be a great position for you. If you get stressed easily, get your feelings hurt, or can't handle hard situations I wouldn't advise accepting a position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2011.

Applied and invited to phone interview. After phone interview, invited to Final Interview. Final Interview consisted of a group of about 15 candidates in a room with a Selector. Each applicant has to teach a 5 minute sample lesson on a topic of their choosing, and then there are several group activities that are looking for your to shine as a leader. The day ends with a 1-on-1 interview with the Selector for 15 minutes. It is a long day, but it is generally exciting.

Interview Questions
    • You're a teacher, and you want to take your students on a field trip, but your principal says no. What do you do and how do you navigate this situation?   View Answer
    Please please please, I urge you to apply before the 5th deadline! If you apply for the 5th deadline, you are going to be forced to do everything required to matriculate in a whirlwind period. You won't have any time to make adjustments, and it is very easy to get mistreated and knocked around if you join that late. Please, apply for an earlier deadline!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

Before you read this post, I want to say I am currently waiting the decision of TFA as to whether I have been accepted or not. So hopefully this helps because I felt my experiences were really positive and fingers crossed, I hope they felt so too. haha.
         The teach for America interview process is a bit time consuming and they really try to weed out those who are not a right fit for them and/or those who are not that interested-so if you decide to go forth applying (which I think is worth it, of course) then make sure you really want to do this program and are very passionate about what TFA is trying to do. After you fill out the initial application, you may or may not get a phone interview. If you do, this interview will ask standard questions about your leadership experience, behavioral questions, etc. My interviewer was very sweet and they understand that things may sound awkward over the phone with pauses and talking over one another, etc. Use this like any other interview-highlight your best qualities if you can and make sure you answer the question (no confused stares to hint your not getting to the point).
       Then the final stage. The final interview is stressful because this is the first time you are actually meeting TFA recruiters. Its like 1st impression all over again even though at this point you feel like you have already done a lot of information giving. Dress nicely (obviously) but be comfortable- you will be there for a large portion of your day. So if pantyhose makes you itchy, where long pants. Example-I would have been stumbling in heels so I opted for flats).guys wore suits or dress pants with a button down. business-casual to formal.
            You also need to prepare a lesson, which can be for any grade, and any subject. So I would think through some ideas and not go with your first inclination. Some grades/subjects lend themselves to a 5 minutes presentation. Thats all the time you get and they will cut you off mid sentence. A large portion is assessment- can you teach something well and have an evaluating activity? I am an education major so I may have had the leg up here- I have been in the classroom and taught a lesson and observed plenty, so I realize how vital assessment is. You need to show them not only can you teach, but you can test whether your content has been learned. It is really nerve racking though- you are in front of the people, and you are painfully aware of how little time you have. Practice it a lot before that night. I did in front of my roommates and my boyfriend-two very different audiences so I think that helped. I used their feedback and it helped A LOT. also, make it fun if you can. creativity goes a long way-you want your presentation to stand out and to have visual aids/interactive activities rather than just talking (think of a REAL classroom here-what would keep REAL students captivated?)
           Once its over, and you ease up and all the sweat you produced starts to dry, you do a group activity where you should let your opinion be known, but don't be the leader. You will look controlling and unable to utilize the opinions of others (remember everything has a purpose so its not just to see your views on the activity but how you work with others aka future coworkers). Then a short test, and you sign up for 1:1 interviews. These are a bit lengthy in my opinion but I was tired at this point. Put on your game face and be relevant with answers. Really, though, try to make it known how much you value TFA. I mean this in a non sarcastic way. I love TFA and all it stands for- and I let them know how important I think their work is and how I think I could help continue their mission. If you align with their values, let it be known. You don't need to have cured a disease or built a community to stand out, just be you and let them know you share visions (which I hope you would at this point in the process). Sorry its so lengthy but I hope it helps!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

I was contacted by Teach for America during my senior year in college. I had a brief phone interview with a recruiter and was encouraged to submit my application. A week after submitting my application, I was notified that I had advanced to the final interview round (I've heard that if TFA wants you, they will bypass the phone interview). Before the final interview, I completed an online assignment about various situations that I might encounter as a corps member. Although the final interview can be tricky because of the mini-lesson you are required to present, they were very straightforward about what the interview process entailed. My interviewers and fellow interviewees were driven, pleasant, and intelligent. There is a skills test that requires that you analyze data, but it's nothing too difficult. During the 1:1 interview, my interviewer took notes the entire time; don't be alarmed by this since all their hiring decisions are made centrally. I heard back from them on the date that they had specified at the beginning of the interview process, and I accepted the offer during the following week.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. You are assigned to a region and a subject/content area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

There was an online application followed by a phone interview. Some candidates skip the phone interview and go straight to the final interview. The final interview consisted of a presentation, "sample lesson", group activity and one on one interview.

None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2010.

We had to first complete a lengthy application. It included a cover letter and a resume along with different questions. Then we had to complete an online activity that included reading articles and answering questions dealing with different situations.
    The in person interview took about a day and included group activities and discussions as well as a sample lesson.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2010.

Was really bummed about the process. I was excited about TFA and found the interviewers unenthusiastic and bland. Sad for a service organization. Questions were pretty basic for the one on one, just asked about college activities and leadership roles. Had to role play about a situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in October 2010.

The online application computes a numerical score for every application. Any score exceeding the threshold results in a phone and/or final interview.

The application scoring algorithm rewards points for the typical admissions stuff (SAT, GRE, GPA, etc. etc.) Just as important as the admissions-y stuff is the TFA traits they test for.

Always highlight experiences you've had that exhibit the following traits:
    -leadership
    -goal-setting
    -ability to find yourself at fault to fix a problem
    -ability to thrive from adversity
    -tolerance of different views
    -helping others out of a love for humanity

These types of traits are very intentionally coded into the possible answers you can choose from in the application.

Know that you're selling your brand when you're applying to TFA... while knowing that your brand really means their's.

Interview Questions
    • What would make you prematurely leave your region and not finish your 2 year commitment?   Answer Question