Teach for America

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Development Coordinator Interview

Development Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in July 2013.

Interview Details – In July 2013, I interviewed for the Development Coordinator position at the Houston office of Teach for America (TFA). The initial interview was an hour in length, included two people, and occurred via telephone. (First interviews are ALWAYS via phone - unless there are special circumstances.) The interviewers were a manager within the department for which I was interviewing and another individual. They were friendly, "human," and seemed interested in me. They wanted to know about my basic qualifications, but also about me as a person (number of siblings, hobbies, entire school history, favorite subjects, etc.). When it comes to qualifications and experiences, the first interview only grazes the surface. Prior to the first interview, it is highly likely that they will ask you to complete a series of tasks in order to gauge more honestly and accurately your preparedness for the position. There is a deadline, so get ready. The TFA interview process usually requires at least four interviews; however, my process included only two. (I say this because in all of the email correspondence, my last interview was called my "final interview," and when it began, the interviewer congratulated me on making it to the final round.) The final interview is WAY more in-depth. It is either in-person or via webcam; mine was via webcam. Depending on the position, you will have to DISSECT various work experiences in order to paint a clear picture of how well you can perform the tasks required by the position. I distinctly remember having to dissect my ENTIRE process - from planning to execution - for a community forum that I planned. She asked about my planning process (i.e., do I color-code?), how I divided tasks (i.e., are you comfortable delegating tasks? can you lead others? how do you keep your team members on task?), how I ensured thorough execution of the conference/ forum (i.e., how did you setup? how did you delegate tasks on the day of the event?), etc. I was very comfortable throughout the interviewing process, and event though I didn't get the position, it is an interview process that I will forever remember as a positive one.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!