Teach for America

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Director Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2013.

Interview Details – 3 interviews, phone, 2 in person. Very straight forward- Know your role and work and the interview will be easy. 1 take home project submitted relating to the role was assigned and submitted.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Director

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Process began with a 30 minute phone interview to assess whether there was a culture fit.

Then was given a round of exercises, followed by a call to discuss the exercises, and a couple behavioral questions.

Couple more rounds of phone interviews, followed by another round of exercises. I don't think this is common, but it can happen.

Interview Question – Scenario role play: A colleague is opposed to a project that you have been assigned to. You need her help to successfully complete the project. How would you address this.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2010.

Interview Details – There was a role play involved in which I was asked to pretend I was in the position for which I was applying. It definitely was not too difficult at all, and mostly you needed common sense in order to get through it. Overall, I think that the interviewers were quite professional and made a strong effort to make me feel comfortable. Also, once I received the offer, I was called by a few people from the org to discuss the job. In sum, I had a pretty positive interview experience with Teach For America.

Interview Question – Pretend you are [person in the job for which I was applying]. How would you react to Situation X?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Chicago, IL

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2010.

Interview Details – I received am email for a phone interview and I selected the first date available.

Interview Question – Which TFA core values do you align with?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate.

Director

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, contacted by human assets for a 30 interview on core values. Followed by in person meeting with direct manager. Written assignment included a major project plan and then a phone interview with 2 other team members. Final interview was with an executive director of another regional office.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made a mistake.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was offered a salary above posted starting rate.

Have seen other applicants negotiations fall through and offers be withdrawn because we are a nonprofit, I have not yet seen them negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach for America Director interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Teach for America employees and interview candidates.