Teach for America Director Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2015

3.5

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA does an amazing job with the interview process. It started with a phone interview with human resources, then a phone call with hiring manager and a follow up call with examples of work. Finally there was an assignment that you completed and discussed at the last in-person interview. Very professional and thorough.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Do not really negotiate pay - human resources specifically tells you they will not negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Francisco, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

The process is long and there is a lot of emphasis on your understanding of TFA as an organization. I would say it's tedious and there's a lot of people chiming in which results in answering the same basic questions over and over.

Interview Questions

• What is your knowledge about the education situation in this city and how does TFA factor into that situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Very friendly and kind. There is an online application an then a phone interview and then a in person interview. You will have to do a sample lesson for 5 minutes, as well.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge you have overcome and how can you bring that experience to improve yourself in the future?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in January 2013.

Interview

3 interviews, phone, 2 in person. Very straight forward- Know your role and work and the interview will be easy. 1 take home project submitted relating to the role was assigned and submitted.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in February 2010.

Interview

I received am email for a phone interview and I selected the first date available.

Interview Questions

• Which TFA core values do you align with?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

There was a role play involved in which I was asked to pretend I was in the position for which I was applying. It definitely was not too difficult at all, and mostly you needed common sense in order to get through it. Overall, I think that the interviewers were quite professional and made a strong effort to make me feel comfortable. Also, once I received the offer, I was called by a few people from the org to discuss the job. In sum, I had a pretty positive interview experience with Teach For America.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you are [person in the job for which I was applying]. How would you react to Situation X?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by human assets for a 30 interview on core values. Followed by in person meeting with direct manager. Written assignment included a major project plan and then a phone interview with 2 other team members. Final interview was with an executive director of another regional office.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was offered a salary above posted starting rate. Have seen other applicants negotiations fall through and offers be withdrawn because we are a nonprofit, I have not yet seen them negotiate.