Teach for America

Relevance Date Difficulty

Corps Member Interview

Corps Member
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in April 2010.

Interview Details – I received first contact with Teach for America from a on campus recruiter who strongly encouraged me to apply based off my leadership endeavors during undergrad. The first step was to fill out an online application which consisted of basic questions, a two page essay, and a resume.

Around a week and a half later, I received an email requesting a phone interview. During the phone interview, they asked basic behavioral questions (tell me about yourself, name a time you lead a group, etc.) as well as to discuss some articles about education that were emailed to you prior to the interview. They seemed to value your opinion about the articles pertaining to the disparity in education so there was no right or wrong answer, just be sincere.

About a week and a half later, I received an email asking me to log onto the Teach for America system and select which regions/cities that I would prefer to work in. You can select up to 3 or 4 or select an option to be placed based on need. Note: they try to place you based on preference but also in correlation to their need. Also, slots do not fill up in cities based on how early you apply. There will be spaces in ALL markets whether your applying in the first, middle, or last cycle. Finally, you have the best chances of being placed by marking no preference but they do not hold it against you if you select a city preference. You can also indicate a reason for selecting your city of choice (for example a spouse receiving a job offer in a particular region, sick family member, proximity to home, etc.). Accommodations can be met if you are selected during this time. Also, this is the time that you choose your grade level preference (elementary, middle, or high school). The same rules apply with grade level, courses (if applicable) as city placement. During this time, you are also asked to select up to 3 people to serve as your recommenders for the program. Make sure you find someone who will speak highly to your character and abilities

About two weeks later, I received another email stating that I progressed to the next round of interviews that consisted of a panel interview. The interview would consist of a one-on-one in person interview with another regional recruiter as well as a panel interview to which you were to construct a 5 minute teaching assignment to teach to the other people interviewing as well as team building and group assignments to see how you worked within a team. The entire event lasted roughly a half to full day (depending on how early you arrived to sign up for your interview after the panel interview). With the teaching assignment, I found it best to be yourself but also be creative if possible when teaching (think would I be engaged if I were a student in my classroom).

Finally, around two weeks later, you will receive an email notification whether or not you were accepted into the corps, which region you will be located it, and what grade level (or grade level range ) and subject you will be teaching. You will also be contacted by your regional head who will personally introduce you to the corp and be an aid to help you make the decision on whether to accept the offer.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the process. Everyone was very friendly and the program goes out of their way to recruit and effectively train you so that your prepared and just not thrown to the wolves.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you served in a leadership role?   Answer Question
  • Name a time where you had to work with a group of people who you didn't see eye to eye on?   Answer Question

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!