Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.5

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

Rigorous and multi-phased with elements of role-play. Teach For America assess your ability to problem-solve, how you deal in high-stress situations, and how you respond to people who don't share your views and perspectives. Overall, they're looking to see how effective an advocate you will be in the mission to end educational inequity.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond in this situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (South Bend, IN).

Interview

Many steps, you have to do a phone interview, a group interview then individual interview, and create a lesson plan. You speak with an alum of the program to do a phone interview. You have to read and discuss an article with other people in the group. Then you have to read situations and discuss your answers with individual.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Extremely selective. Do not focus on teaching experiences as much as your organizational and leadership skills. During the final interview make sure you plan out all the details of your lesson. Know how much time is required for each part of your lesson including set up. They will cut you off.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline. If so, why.   1 Answer

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach for America in July 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was friendly and made me feel very comfortable. She was also very open to answering any questions I had about the position. The interview lasted almost 35 minutes. I would suggest to be prepared for the interview. Even though it is only a phone screening, they are very interested to know why you are applying for this position in particular. Be prepared to explain why you are the best candidate to pick, and what you will bring to the company if you move forward in the interview process. The next part of the interview process would be to speak with the hiring staff. They would contact me within two weeks after the initial phone screening.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions. Do I feel comfortable with the responsibilities of the position? Does this work motivate me? etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (UC Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Full-day, includes group exercises, and one-on-one questions. Also, had to prepare a mini-teaching lesson. The group exercise was an activity to gauge leadership role, and team role. The mini-teaching lesson was a test to gauge ability to deliver a short succinct 10 minute lesson.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Rigorous. I skipped the phone interview. Teach For America wants to see that you've been a leader in your classroom. Teach For America also likes to see data and numbers to quantify the accomplishments that you've had in the leadership roles.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

3 Phase Application Process 1. An online application- a few short answers and a couple of essays 2. Phone interview- about a 30 minute skype interview (basic questions on your interest in joining the Corps) 3. In person interview- 5-minute lesson plan, followed by group work and concluding in an interview

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you took during your undergrad years?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The Interview is a long process. It takes about 2 months to complete, with several components (online application, phone interview, final interview). However, depending on who you interact with the experience is very enjoyable, although challenging. Make sure to do your research before each interview and put forth your best effort. Also when building your lesson plan for the final interview be sure to keep it simple but interesting! There will be several individuals teaching during the day and you need to stand out. So have fun but make sure that you are using your time wisely. You only have 5 minutes, which goes quickly!

Interview Questions

• What would be one thing that would result in you leaving the corps?   Answer Question

Lead Preschool Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The first part of the interview was an application with essay questions online. Next was a phone interview with a recruiter. Then, there was an online activity that took almost 2 hours to complete. After this was the in-person final interview. You were expected to have a 5 minute sample lesson. Following that, you work in a group to figure out a problem. Finally, you meet one on one with the recruiter. I felt very relaxed for the final interview, but think I should have acted more serious since I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working with low-income communities?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I love what the organization stands for, but I was very unimpressed with the interview process. I made it to the phone interview, and had prepared to answer questions about the achievement gap and the public education system. I was asked some questions about homework assignments and my class attendance.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you took during your undergrad?   Answer Question