Teach for America Interview Questions

3.5

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

It was the phone interview which is the next part from the application. It took about 30 to 40 minutes. It was not too bad. Although they did call sooner than we had planned to converse. I believe they called at about 8 in the morning when the interview was supposed to be 10am.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Application with a few short response prompts, phone interview, online activity, then final day with 5 min. mock lesson, group discussion/project, and 1 on 1 interview. Entire process took about 3 months from initial application to final notification. Phone interview went well and was relatively relaxed, but 1 on 1 in person interview was a lot more challenging and intimidating. They repeated a few of the same questions from the phone interview, which got a little confusing because it wasn't clear if they wanted the same answer again or something different. Overall still a nice experience, and I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you failed at something and how you responded to that.   Answer Question

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

I first met with a campus representative at my university and then was invited to a phone interview. The interviewer focused on my experiences with education and mentoring, asking how that has prepared me to teach a classroom. She asked many typical questions about overcoming challenges and how you work as a team. Then there is also an in-person interview, but I didn't make it that far in the process.

Interview Questions
    • When is a time you disagreed with a coworker and how did you deal with the situation?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

Submitted the online application with essay and was automatically bumped to the final round. The final all day interview involved a 5 minute lesson with 1 minute of prep time (they literally time you to the second and will not allow you to go over). From there, we had a series of group activities to model how we work in a group. Finally, the day ended with a one on one interview that lasted anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes.

On the day that I interviewed, four of the ten applicants did not finish their lesson within the time frame. None of these applicants were admitted (even the applicant with a really engaging science lesson). One applicant had a lesson in which he lectured for the entire 5 minutes, he was also not admitted. The other 5 applicants (myself included) had lessons that were under time and involved some element of teacher modeling, grouping practice, and final assessment/closing. This is the basic structure of a lesson that you will be teaching should you be admitted. For this reason, make sure you create a lesson that is under time, practice it multiple times, and include instruction, practice, and assessment. For anyone that is wondering, I taught my group how to ask someone their name in Spanish and how to respond when someone asks your name. I included specific points on pronunciation and inflection.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to serve in low income, under resourced schools?   View Answer
    • Have you ever quit anything   View Answer

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Disliked phone interview, interrogation style. Final, in person interview was filled with group activities. I enjoyed the micro teach, but the group work was chaotic. There were about 15 people interviewing and everyone was trying to talk over one another. After I got the offer, I literally was called three times a day. They can be incredibly aggressive and this attitude ultimately made me not accept the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview: Asked extreme detail about of my previous jobs. A lot of how I felt and why I reacted that way.   Answer Question

Incredibly aggressive recruitment technique. I did not feel respected and got some bad vibes.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

The interview process was a long one. Almost two months long. They have you submit about four essays in the initial application. If you pass that you'll make it on to the phone interview. If you make it pass the phone interview you'll make it on to the last in-person interview/sample lesson plan. They claim they want diversity but their organization make-up proves otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Take us through a difficult experience in the workplace and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

The process starts with a recruiter contacting you to help you keep the time line of the application. The application takes approximately 2 hours of duplicated information. Throughout the process they explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students. They explain that they are referring to minorities.
    The next step is the phone interview. They explain again that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but it is not a requirement. You then find out about 2 weeks later of you are invited to the in person final interview. During introductions the speakers ate minorities and again explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but they look at other skills as well.
    On this interview you will do a 5 minute lesson plan- keep it simple and engage others.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

I applied online and received a notification that I had been offered a phone interview. I schedule the interview and a few days later I received a call from a rep and they interviewed/interrogated me about education, previous work, leadership, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Name a position of leadership that has been particularly important to you...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

After completing an online application consisting of questions regarding background information and past experiences I was selected for a phone interview. I was able to choose a day and time online. I was contacted by a TFA representative who conducted the interview. It was very formal and structred. I was then contacted for an in person interview which consisted of a sample teaching lesson, group activity and one on one interview. Be prepared for your lesson and participate during the group activity. The in person interview was much like the phone interview asking most of the same standard questions. Be able to explain every detail of your resume. You never know what they may reference.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Very long process: applied in December, decision not available till March. Three rounds of interview: Phone interview, online interview/quiz, final interview at a local university. Final interview was very straightforward. TFA does good job at laying out the expectations of the final interview. Final interview requires a 5-minute lesson plan where you can teach whatever you want. be creative and engaging. Don't just sit there and speak.

Interview Questions
    • Why TFA? Why not another teaching organization like Fellows?   Answer Question