Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Rigorous. I skipped the phone interview.
    Teach For America wants to see that you've been a leader in your classroom. Teach For America also likes to see data and numbers to quantify the accomplishments that you've had in the leadership roles.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Teach for America (UC Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Full-day, includes group exercises, and one-on-one questions. Also, had to prepare a mini-teaching lesson. The group exercise was an activity to gauge leadership role, and team role. The mini-teaching lesson was a test to gauge ability to deliver a short succinct 10 minute lesson.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

3 Phase Application Process
    1. An online application- a few short answers and a couple of essays
    2. Phone interview- about a 30 minute skype interview (basic questions on your interest in joining the Corps)
    3. In person interview- 5-minute lesson plan, followed by group work and concluding in an interview

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you took during your undergrad years?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The Interview is a long process. It takes about 2 months to complete, with several components (online application, phone interview, final interview). However, depending on who you interact with the experience is very enjoyable, although challenging. Make sure to do your research before each interview and put forth your best effort.

Also when building your lesson plan for the final interview be sure to keep it simple but interesting! There will be several individuals teaching during the day and you need to stand out. So have fun but make sure that you are using your time wisely. You only have 5 minutes, which goes quickly!

Interview Questions

• What would be one thing that would result in you leaving the corps?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The first part of the interview was an application with essay questions online. Next was a phone interview with a recruiter. Then, there was an online activity that took almost 2 hours to complete. After this was the in-person final interview. You were expected to have a 5 minute sample lesson. Following that, you work in a group to figure out a problem. Finally, you meet one on one with the recruiter. I felt very relaxed for the final interview, but think I should have acted more serious since I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working with low-income communities?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I love what the organization stands for, but I was very unimpressed with the interview process. I made it to the phone interview, and had prepared to answer questions about the achievement gap and the public education system. I was asked some questions about homework assignments and my class attendance.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you took during your undergrad?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

It was weird, not conversation-like at all. The phone interview was fine and more conversational than the final interview. That portion re-asked phone interview questions (if they weren't satisfied with them?) but you just felt like you were repeating yourself. It was very forced. The teaching part was a breeze, the interview part was weird.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you've had a disagreement with a coworker and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Very friendly and kind. There is an online application an then a phone interview and then a in person interview. You will have to do a sample lesson for 5 minutes, as well.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

online application, phone interview, final interview.
    I skipped the phone interview and was directed straight to the final interview so I can't comment on the phone interview.
    The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, a group activity and a personal interview.
    for the five minute lesson plan, I recommend doing something with visual aids and something creative. The lower grade levels I think are easier for this. Definitely video tape yourself practicing the lesson with all of your aids and practice on your friends. Listen to their feedback and improve your lesson.
    For the group activity, you will have a scenario and you will have to resolve an issue. try to stick out. I immediately took on the role of scribe and directed our discussion. I said, ok does anyone have a preference about taking notes and when everyone said they had bad writing, I said I was happy to. Then I asked who would like to speak first, and when I ended up giving my opinion last, I made sure to include new information. I also validated other people's opinions, both similar and dissimilar from my own. It seems important to convey that you are open to construct criticism and other world views.
    The personal interview--I didn't think mine went too well to be completely honest. I felt that I was rambling, but I hope it came off as impassioned. Really, I think they just want to know of your leadership qualities and the challenges you have overcome.

Interview Questions

• What are your methods of organization?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC).

Interview

The phone interview is first, and is anywhere from 30minutes to 1 hour. Some people get invited straight to the final interview, though. The final interview process seemed to be heavily dependent upon your sample teaching lesson. Be sure to be creative! I wish I had known what to expect prior to my interview. The guidelines were so vague I had no clue if what I was doing was what was expected of me. There will also be a group activity where you have a certain amount of time to come up with a decision about a given scenario as a group.

Interview Questions

• What was your hardest college course?   1 Answer