Teach for America

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Got contacted by on-campus recruiter and was told to apply. I applied, didn't have to do a phone interview, and was moved on to the final interview. The final interview was in group format and they gave us a scenario to discuss and a quick 5 minute teaching lesson. After that, we had one on one interviews with our group interview facilitators.

Interview Questions

I felt like I wanted to do something else with my career projectile and if I didn't have a great passion for TFA after the interview process then I probably shouldn't waste their time by not putting my all into being a corps member.

Corps Member Interview

Interview process took over a month, but it was a great experience. You get to learn about the organization and how you can make an impact. Make sure you express your passion and be involved in the group portion of the interview. Be confident and you will do well!

Teaching Position Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview process takes about a month. There are many components: application, phone interview, 2 recommendations, test, and a whole day interview. The day interview consisted of four parts. Each candidate prepares a teaching sample. Then, here is a group activity followed by questions. In the afternoon, each candidate has a personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a students in being unresponsive?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

The final interview process was my first contact with a real person in TFA prior to talking to a recruiter. A large number of folks apply to the program so TFA tends to pass quite a few people on the the final interviews. Expect about 12-20 other candidates at your final interview.

The process consisted of first a presentation where you teach a mock lesson, an evaluation in how you work in a group with other potential corps members, and finally a 1on1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing should be unexpected, you can find the questions they tend to ask prospective corps members online.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions
    • What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Starts off with basic GPA and general info. The next round is a phone interview and short essay questionaire. All of the interviewers were personal and easy to talk with. The final round involved a five minute lesson plan, a group activity, and a one on one interview. Make sure that you positively contribute to the group activity, and listen to the other applicants ideas. The one on one interview was easy going and friendly.

Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America in October 2014.

I submitted the online form requesting information and was immediately contacted by a university recruiter (the one responsible for my university). She was very nice and asked to set up an informal phone conversation, which ended up feeling like an interview, but when very well! She very SUPER friendly and easy to talk to (she was very young). She engaged me in issues concerning racial and educational inequality. I felt like I was talking to a close friend.

After submitting the online application (didn't take too long, only 3-4 questions that require a couple short paragraphs - although I spent about a week on them), I was accelerated to the final round of interviews.

This required that I submit teacher recs, complete an online activity, and prepare for the interview day, which included a 5 min sample teach, a short group activity, and a 30 minute interview.

The sample teach went really well! I chose something simple (lines, segments, and rays). The group activity was a little weird because it felt weird working with others as the TFA person watched close by and took notes.

I did not feel that the interview went well. The woman warned me that she would be typing during the interview, but it felt unsettling being unable to make eye contact during the 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • To be honest, all of the questions felt unexpected. I was anticipating that they would ask questions concerning educational inequity in the US to gauge my passion, because an interview seems like the most appropriate way to do so. However, I was asked questions about my leadership on campus, classes, challenges I have faced, difficult people I have worked with.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

interviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

I participated in the initial screening / application process. This included a detailed questionnaire and a series of short prompts, as well as a complete listing of my previous job/work experience. I completed an online test, which included scenarios. I then took part in a 30-minute phone interview. Shortly after the interview, I was informed by email that I had not advanced to the next round of the process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding the scenarios were somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

The in-person process was a day long and took up very much time and effort. There were so many activities including a prepared 5-minute lesson and pre-interview work that took approximately an hour. Some applicants will also have to do a phone interview screening which takes approximately 30 minutes. Rest assured that every applicant who is qualified will be hired. The first part of the interview is the lesson in which over 30 people in a room gave the lesson they prepared. Then, there is a fishbowl activity in which the groups are split up and given a question to answer, usually having to do with a school. Finally, there is the personal interview which takes up about a half hour after the lesson, usually following a lunch break.

Interview Questions
    • You are in a group of teachers whose principal has chosen to change the curriculum that you are teaching. How will you present to the principal that the curriculum should or should not be changed? (group activity)   Answer Question
    No negotiation as to compensation, but there were options as to where geographically you wanted to go.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

It was a multi-step process. Throughout the whole thing I felt like they were interested in what I brought to the table as a whole and not just my thoughts on education.