Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2015

3.5

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2011.

Interview

The interview process begins with a phone interview in which you are asked basic questions. After the phone interview you may be invited to a final interview. In this round you must present a five-minute lesson plan on a subject of your choosing, take a skills test, participate in a group problem solving with 8-12 other interviewees, do a role play activity and do a one-on-one interview. The process is quite intimidating and a bit overdone. During my interview all of the other interviewees were very supportive and cordial. Most people were most nervous about the five minute lesson plan, but it seemed like the interviewers cared more about the other parts. I was not offered a position and received little feedback as to why.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized?   Answer Question
    • At the end of your first year teaching, how would you measure success in your classroom?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

Interview

The initial interview is a phone interview with a TFA alum that's generally behavioral. It's basically a screening interview to make sure you have an idea of what you're getting into and also that you're passionate about the problems that TFA is trying to address.

The final interview is hard. It consists of a five-minute lesson plan that you must prepare ahead of time and "teach" it to the particular group you're assigned to for this interview round. Next, you'll take part of a group discussion centered around the readings that they ask you to read in preparation beforehand. Then, you'll take a written test that's really easy if you're good with numbers and data. Finally, you'll do a one-on-one interview with one of your interviewers from the previous group interview. They tell you right away that there are no quotas (this is true) so you're not competing against each other for a limited number of spots, but some people still act like they need to take you out in order to do well, especially during the group discussion. Just keep your cool and be assertive but don't stoop to their level.

I think, in the end, while I was really passionate about the issues around education inequality in our country, the experience just wasn't for me. And they saw that. You really need to look before you leap on this one. Do your research, make sure this is something you'd really want, and get lots of second opinions before deciding to go ahead with this.

Interview Questions

• Given that the kind of environment you would be working in as a teacher would be very challenging, how would you deal with burning out during your two years?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2011.

Interview

Long process. The interviews were fun and exciting, but definitely require stamina to remain engaged.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in November 2010.

Interview

Teach for America is a seemingly great program. They offer college graduates an excellent forum to put off the real world, while adding a goldmine to their resume. With that said, TFA is not respected amongst the teaching community, and they are more interested in adding people with rockstar resumes, than people who might actually be a good teacher (hence, education majors cannot apply). The program is backwards.

TFA is famous for stringing people along. They receive more applicants than just about any job, so it is difficult to make each step of the process. It consists of an initial application with essay, a short question/answer online "test", a phone interview, and an intensive all day interview with a practice lesson. While this may sound easy, candidates at each stage are cut for not apparent reason.

It is an extremely difficult process for a college senior who is likely going through his first application, and is largely unfair. I would avoid the TFA headache, because even if accepted into the program, be ready for a 2 year nightmare which a high percentage of participants soon hate.

Interview Questions

• What would lead you to quitting TFA?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in October 2010.

Interview

Skills test, then phone interview, then had an all day 1:1 interview.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

I had an enjoyable interview process, and let me tell you people aren't kidding around when they say it is a competitive process. Everyone was very polite and personable, and I felt like I did great on my interview.

Although I did not get an offer, I have nothing but positive things to say about the whole process. Other than the fatigue that sets in from waiting for the entire interview process to conclude (its easy to start getting nervous with anticipation), the staff and the recruiters did their very best to make the experience as informative and adventurous as possible.

Interview Questions

• What, if anything, would cause you to quit the program?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

TFA is very clear about their interview process. All the rules, requirements, etc. are noted. They even provide online seminars for potential interviewees for help. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my TFA interview experience.

Interview Questions

I did not end up getting the city I desired, and I chose to decline my offer noting that I would potentially apply again in the future.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Raleigh, NC) in November 2010.

Interview

We had to first complete a lengthy application. It included a cover letter and a resume along with different questions. Then we had to complete an online activity that included reading articles and answering questions dealing with different situations.
    The in person interview took about a day and included group activities and discussions as well as a sample lesson.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in May 2012.

Interview

It was very hard.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview process was tough. There was a phone interview and then the day long interview. Spent tons of time prepping, because this was the job I was looking for. Sadly, I was not offered a position, but feel the interview experience was overall positive.

Interview Questions

• Is there any reason you would have for leaving the program early if you were offered a position?   1 Answer