Teach for America

Average Difficulty
421 candidate interviews

Corp Member Interview

Corp Member

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The phone interview was all of the basic behavioral questions. One thing that I have not seen anyone else mention is to make sure you really create a connection with your interview. I think this is a good determination if you move forward. My interview was very friendly and reacted to my answers like a normal conversation as opposed to one of my friends who interviewed and she said her interviewer just said ok to all of her answers. This could be different for everyone.

Interview Question – How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Skipped phone interview. Taught a lesson on public speaking then interviewed about answers to a case study involving a principal who didn't want to implement some program.

Interview Question – Not difficult but be prepared to answer in a lot of detail how you keep organized   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The college where I was supposed to get license was wayyyyyy to expensive and I read a lot I mean a lot of bad reviews of teach for america that soured my acceptance. Even school board meetings where teachers shunned TFA.

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The interview process is long and involved. Overall, there is nothing that is too difficult. The first part is a very simple online application, which involves submitting a resume and letter of intent. After that, there is a phone interview and you are required to fill out additional online forms. Next, there is a full day interview where you teach a sample lesson, discuss a topic in a group, and then have a one on one interview.

Interview Question – They asked me about different types of challenges I have faced - personal, academic etc.   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – I had 3 rounds - a written, phone, and in-person interview. It may be 2 now, not sure about that.

I forget the specific questions, but just really understand what you are applying for. You have to show a strong commitment and that means things like talking to alumni and corps members, visiting schools, reading TFA blogs, learning about the education situation in the US, etc. If you can not put in that effort before the interview, there is no way you will survive the job.

Beyond this, most of the interview is behavioral - be able to talk about your experiences well. The questions were fairly standard, but just be prepared as it is difficult to think about anecdotes/examples on the spot.

The biggest difference between TFA interviews and most other places Ivy League kids apply to is that for TFA, you need to show that you really care about this issue and that you're a nice, humble person. You can survive a top consulting firm or I-bank being a jerk if you have strong analytic ability - but with TFA, no amount of smarts will help you if you can't get rid of your ego.

Finally, I'd recommend not trying to be someone you're not. If you need to put a persona to get into TFA, you're not fit for the experience and you're not going to like it. You can BS and tolerate your way through a corporate job to get to the next step in your career - but don't take that approach to TFA. TFA is an extremely tough but rewarding experience that requires an incredible amount of commitment to the cause.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions - forget the specifics   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - you are paid by your school district.

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – written application, Phone interview and then final interview

Interview Question – What was your most difficult class in college?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – After submitting the online application, there is a phone interview that you may or may not have to complete. I skipped to the final interview which was in person. There was a 5 minute presentation that each interviewee had to deliver to display creativity and speaking skills. There was also a group conversation and a one-on-one interview.

Interview Question – The questions were not very difficult, however the role play was unexpected.   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Long process...application with intent letter, then online activity, phone interview, final interview with sample lesson etc.

Interview Question – Difficult questions when it came to the role playing activity   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Applied online for the first interview process. Got an email saying I could skip the phone interview and go directly to the in-person interview. The in-person interview took about 3 or 4 hours with a group section and then a personal 1-on-1 interview. I was contacted about a month later and was told I was accepted.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you set a goal and didn't reach it. How did you recover?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – You start off with an initial interview, and then most people get phone interviews as well. The phone interview lasts 30 minutes, and was pretty relaxed for me since it was with a former corps member and she was outgoing and very nice. The downside to the process is that the turnover time between the phone interview, being informed if you made it to the next round, and obtaining recommendations is very short. I had to ask for recommendations before I even knew if I made it to the final interview stage (which I didn't).

Interview Question – When was a time you had to work with someone and had a difficult time?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – There are three steps to the application process. 1.) An Application 2.) A phone Interview 3.) A day long final interview. They are very selective in their practices and they do not give you feedback so I am still unaware of what I did wrong during the final interview

Interview Question – Under what circumstance would you leave the corps?   Answer Question