Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014
Updated Sep 28, 2014

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Applied through the standard online process. Was required to submit an extensive work/academic history, answer questions about desire to join TFA/teaching philosophy, etc. Made it to next round, had to watch videos online of teaching scenarios and respond to questions about videos. Was given a phone interview which lasted ~30 minutes, covering basic behavioral topics (challenging experiences in group, why interested in TFA, etc.). Was rejected at this point in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Video scenario responses were quite open-ended and therefore challenging.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

It's a long and detailed interview process with a lot of what appears to be unnecessary paperwork (like manually entering all classes into the online system). I found the final interview round most challenging. I recommend meeting with TFA alumni to prepare for the final interview, like the mock teaching exercise.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

I went through the phone interview and was able to complete a virtual final (due to being out of the country). My virtual interview was group interview as well. Each of the participants did a mock lesson and we had to work together to respond to a scenario. It was a test to see our problem solving abilities as well as our ability to work collaboratively. After that, we had seperate interviews with traditional questions.

Interview Questions
    • My interviewer presented me with a scenario in which she was my principal and I wanted to propose a new program after she had already sd that no new programs cld be implemented in the remainder of the year. She gave me a few minutes to gather my thoughts, then I had to plead my case.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation, but I would encourage everyone who applies to teach for america to be sure they are interested in teaching.

online application, final interview

Corps Member Interview

The process has three rounds. Application, Telephone Interview, Group interview. The questions focus on your ability to be a team player and your ability to work with others in various situations.

Interview Questions
    • We were given a scenario that could occur in the school and how you would handle that case   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Long interview process that begins with a lengthy application. Then it is followed by phone interview and if you make it to the next round it is an in person interview that lasts about 4 hours.

Corps Member Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The application process has multiple steps: a written application, a phone interview (these days), and an in person interview. The in person interview includes personal/scenario-type questions as well as a sample lesson. They are particularly interested in how you deal with adversity or difficult situations in the personal interview and be prepared to discuss your strategies for multitasking/organization.

Interview Questions
    there is no negotiation. think carefully about your region ranking - if you rank a region of "high need" highly you are very likely to be assigned there if accepted

Corps Member Interview

There is a 5 stage interview, application, phone interview, three part in person interview. The interview process is very intense and detailed. Be prepared to answer behavioral questions. Try to align your answers/application to the core values and be sure to provide quantitative examples.

Middle School Math Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Teach for America.

It was very involved and intense, but if you speak to anyone who is a teacher and have them review your practice lesson, you'll be fine. Keep it short, to the point, and allow for questions and independent work. Remember, you're not just having them take notes. You want your interviewers to remember you and your engaging lesson.

Be prepared for someone to get a question wrong in your lesson, and practice ways to respond. They looked really hurt when another person interviewing gave a flat out, "no."

Interview Questions
    • What do you do in the face of adversity?   View Answer
    There's no negotiation. You accept or reject.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

The entire TFA application process is long and drawn out, but understandably so because they want to make sure you are truly a good fit for the corps. I was offered a final interview without a phone interview. The final interview was slightly nerve wracking--I was most concerned about the sample lesson, but that ended up being the easiest portion of the day. The two interviewers and other applicants were very enthusiastic about participating in the lesson. Much of the interview felt conversational, which was a nice surprise. During the group activity, they want to see that you are engaged and have ideas to contribute, so be vocal.

Interview Questions
    • I was slightly taken aback by the role play scenario during the individual interview. In the situation, I was a teacher who wanted to take my children on a field trip but the assistant principal constantly denied the request; I was asked how I would handle this situation.   Answer Question

Two-year commitment was not fitting for my situation.