Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.5

Campus Campaign Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tallahassee, FL) in May 2013.

Interview

You will always be been tasks and small projects to complete through out your interview process. Enjoyed the experience liked how the tasks prepared you for the role. Also you were allowed to fully express why you are attached to the mission.

Interview Questions

• Experience speaking to a large group of people that you do not know   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

Easy as long as you practice and have answers prepared. TFA does not throw curveballs. If an answer sounds obvious, then say it. Have come compelling stories to share and be prepared to explain yourself. Use numbers to support your leadership credentials. TFA wants to have leaders, not necessarily teachers. So make sure you say that you are a leader that can transfer your skills to the classroom.

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your time?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

There were multiple stages of the interview process. First online application, then a phone interview. Then a second application that included some timed essays. Finally, a third in-person interview in which you do some group activities, including teaching a mock lesson and then a last one-on-one interview. I would rate it difficult, due to the fact it took such a long time - it spanned a few months - and that there were a lot of different components.

Director of Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tulsa, OK) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online with a cover letter and resume. I had worked at institute previously so I was pretty familiar with the process. A lot of information is provided on the website about dates and the hiring timeline. After a week or so, the DIO reached out to schedule an interview. The interview was pretty rigorous and lasted an hour. I believe they ask questions about your perceived weaknesses to see how you handle them.

Interview Questions

• The power has just gone out in the copy center and people are angry. You get a phone call that a package has just arrived and you need the materials immediately. Describe how you handle this situation.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Williamsburg, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

Lengthy process. Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, teach a short lesson to a group. At each step, they are looking for candidates who are genuine, warm, friendly, and can give concrete examples of facing challenges and overcoming them. They are looking for people with leadership potential.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall specific questions, but they are looking for people who have grit, people who have overcome some real life challenges. They'll want to know your story, what drives you. They know, if you are selected, you will be facing extraordinary challenges that will impact the lives of real students.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in May 2013.

Interview

There were a few different interviews as well as an activity I had to fill out complete regarding the work. Interviews consisted of a range of questions to help them better understand me as a person. The interviewers were very friendly and open. The interview was conducted via phone and computer. Overall it was a very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think diversity is important to our mission?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Extremely selective. Do not focus on teaching experiences as much as your organizational and leadership skills. During the final interview make sure you plan out all the details of your lesson. Know how much time is required for each part of your lesson including set up. They will cut you off.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline. If so, why.   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

-Initial application -- essay, background questions -Phone interview -- focus on achievement gap and if they think you'll stay in education for longer than the two years. More likely to choose people who are -Person interview -- one on one, group interview activity, sample teaching lesson. Prepare something you know well

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in July 2012.

Interview

Phone call interview with HR and then direct phone interviews with manager and Executive Director. There was also a skills based activity related to development work (e.g. writing activity and research activity). Went all very smoothly and process took about 1 month. Understanding core values was very important as well as commitment to serving/volunteering in the community. Sought to hire a well-rounded person in regard to skills, effort, and dedication.

Interview Questions

• Organizational skills and time management, overcoming challenges, and passion for education reform.   1 Answer

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (State College, PA) in May 2012.

Interview

High intensity interviewing and recruiting. Biggest thing they look for is willingness to stick it out for the full two years. The reason I declined even though I was offered the position was that I could tell that I was getting so much support and attention just so I would say yes and they couldn't answer my questions about sustainability of the model.