Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.5

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview was very thorough. They do not really do a good job of getting to know the new employer. It is clear there is a right answer and if you dont say the right answer, with respect to their corp values, they wont seek to understand why you disagree. Very difficult to get accepted but if you talk about you lack of priviledge...ie if you are of any minority than it is A LOT easier to get in.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about profound additional impact within the classroom?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I first filled out the online application and met with a recruiter from my school. Then I had a phone interview, which was very nice. I did some online tests and then was offered a final in-person interview, which lasted all day.

Interview Questions
    • The sample teaching lesson was the most difficult for me because the outlines were very vague.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

This was a very thorough and thoughtful process. Most questions are relevant, thought provoking, and really get down to how well you will perform in the job. There are technical aspects depending upon the role, but this was a key indicator of success for me as a candidate as well as the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • If outside the organization, knowledge of the nature of the work as a whole.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

30 min phone interview intially - fairly standard questions, next step was half day in person interview where you had to present a practice 5 minute lesson plan, and participate in a group discussion observed by interviewers, and then a one on one interview with a teach for america staff member

Corps Member Interview

The process has three rounds. Application, Telephone Interview, Group interview. The questions focus on your ability to be a team player and your ability to work with others in various situations.

Interview Questions
    • We were given a scenario that could occur in the school and how you would handle that case   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Began with the online application and essays, from there moved to a phone interview and then a full day final interview that consisted of a sample lesson teach, group discussion and one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy you did not agree with, but were expected to follow?   Answer Question

The location I was matched with was not my first choice.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, followed by phone interview. They just asked about items that were on my resume, as well as some behavioral questions. Finally did a group assessment, followed by a one one with role play.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any surprise question, plus you were given a lot of time to prepare for the role play.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Questions
    • TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Recruitment Manager Interview

Lots of activities and different rounds of interviews with different people.
    This is a great chance to really get to know the nature of the work though and to get a thorough understanding of the organization's staff culture, especially since most candidates hired into this role come out of the Corps.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

You have to apply online through the TFA website. The application consists of leadership/work experience and some essay questions. Then, after the deadline period ends, you'll hear within about 2 weeks whether or not you have been invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes and the interviewer asks you to expand on some of your initial application, then asks you some questions related to your leadership experience, organizational skills, and why you want to join TFA. After another week or so, you may be invited to the final interview stage, where you will present a 5-minute lesson plan, participate in a group activity, and an individual interview. It's a fairly relaxed interview setting, and the process isn't competitive in the sense that only a select number of people in your group can get the job. If they think you are qualified, you will get hired. Be sure to use the STAR method for answering their questions; that's what they recommend.