Teach for America

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.5

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Teach for America recruiters are extremely invested. I ended up not pursuing further interviews past preliminary rounds, but had an incredible experience. If you can get in contact with a campus recruiter, they will genuinely fight for you to get the job. It stinks that you don't know what location you will be placed in, but otherwise recruiting was a really pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Being creative and providing a sincere interest in the mission of Teach for America is extremely important to the interviewer.   Answer Question

I ended up changing my graduation date and no longer pursuing Teach for America in the process of this change.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Online application with statement of purpose followed by either a phone interview then an in person interview or straight to an in person interview. In Person involves teaching a 5 minute sample lesson, group exercise and finally a 1 on 1 interview. Tough process really concerned about your ability to survive in a tough environment.

Institute Operations Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, followed by phone interview, interview activity, and another phone interview. Talked with previous employees and then the operations manager for the training institute. Overall a very positive interview process.

If you want to work at a specific institute, make sure you notate that on your application, otherwise they will really send you anywhere (which is kinda great too!).

TFA Corps Member Interview

Very rigorous. 2 phone interviews. One 8 hour battery day. 6 weeks institute. More interviews with districts. Then you begin. This process is very cumbersome for the actually pay you will receive. The experiences and education will gain will be very beneficially but its not the ideal way to go if you can get into better jobs out of college.

Interview Questions
    • Present a mock lesson in front of 20 - 40 other applicants. Additionally, do not disclose too many biases or preferences. They read into so much about what you think and believe. If you are conservative, you will have a hard time finding similar minded people.   Answer Question
    Where do you want to go?

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long and involves a lot of periodic submissions (online activity, transcript, recommendations, etc.) My original application paid off, however, and I didn't have to participate in the phone interviews which helped me focus more on the other parts of the application process.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Pretty intense process. First an online application then a phone interview, and if you make it past the phone interview you will have a final interview that includes a lesson plan presentation, one-one and group interview, and role-playing

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Found most of them on glassdoor. Just do your research   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

The hiring and interview process was quite simple and predictable. Apply, receive online notification. Receive phone interview, receive in-person interview (group interview, model lesson, individual interview). Several weeks later receive decision notification.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine that you work in a failing school evidenced by student achievement data. Students do not want to come to school, parents are not involved, teachers have low morale. Which of these constituent groups is the key to success in turning the school around? What would you do with this one constituent group to fix their collective problem?   View Answer

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

A very standard interview, besides the group part. But don't be intimidated by that; I believe they use it to weed out those with public speaking issues and those who are so antisocial that they can't fake it for 10 minutes. The one on one was simple. Simple questions, give simple/honest answers. But make sure to tell them you will not quit; that's what TFA is looking for (people who won't quit no matter how ridiculous their situation).

Interview Questions
    No negotiation or even decisions to be had; you say yes and they place you without you having any say.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in October 2014.

I applied at the first deadline for this coming corp year in August. You are first accepted to a phone interview from an application, then the final interview based on that phone interview. The final interview day is intensive and includes a presentation and group interview as well as an individual interview.

Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America in October 2014.

I submitted the online form requesting information and was immediately contacted by a university recruiter (the one responsible for my university). She was very nice and asked to set up an informal phone conversation, which ended up feeling like an interview, but when very well! She very SUPER friendly and easy to talk to (she was very young). She engaged me in issues concerning racial and educational inequality. I felt like I was talking to a close friend.

After submitting the online application (didn't take too long, only 3-4 questions that require a couple short paragraphs - although I spent about a week on them), I was accelerated to the final round of interviews.

This required that I submit teacher recs, complete an online activity, and prepare for the interview day, which included a 5 min sample teach, a short group activity, and a 30 minute interview.

The sample teach went really well! I chose something simple (lines, segments, and rays). The group activity was a little weird because it felt weird working with others as the TFA person watched close by and took notes.

I did not feel that the interview went well. The woman warned me that she would be typing during the interview, but it felt unsettling being unable to make eye contact during the 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • To be honest, all of the questions felt unexpected. I was anticipating that they would ask questions concerning educational inequity in the US to gauge my passion, because an interview seems like the most appropriate way to do so. However, I was asked questions about my leadership on campus, classes, challenges I have faced, difficult people I have worked with.   Answer Question