Teach for America

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
416 candidate interviews

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Lengthy initial online application, phone interview, then full-day interview. Make sure that you know their core values and what they are about as an organization. They are very data-driven and want to know specific examples of your leadership showcased through particular situations.

Interview Question – Have you ever missed a deadline? Why?   Answer Question

Teacher/Corps Member Interview

Teacher/Corps Member

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – 1) There's an application process in which you have to fill out a lot of information about you first, and also includes a letter of intent and a resume that you have to fill and upload.

2) Then there's the phone interview. Which does ask you some personal questions about your interests and know more about you as a person. There's also an online activity to assess your "sound judgment" and "analytical skills".

3) Then there's the full day interview. It's not necessarily a full-day, but there's only about two interviewers on the site. You teach a lesson plan in the morning, followed by a personal interview in the afternoon. If you happen to get the last time slot from 4:20-ish to 5:00, then you pretty much stay the full day there.

Interview Question – At some point during the personal interview, they will ask about your responses from the online activity. Access to the activity was limited, so better be prepared to remember/take note of your responses!!   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – First there is a written application, next a phone interview, then an in person interview that includes a model lesson, a "group" activity, and a 1:1 interview. The written application is very straight forward--the phone call felt a little uncomfortable, because I could tell what they wanted me to say, but I stuck to my thoughts, and it worked! Don't fake it!

Interview Question – What would you do if your principal said "no" to the following ____? (Role play)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations--except I was specific about the grade I wanted to teach.

Teacher Interview

Teacher

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Application. I honestly think the most important part of the application is the essay. Read over their website extremely thoroughly and make sure you don't raise any red flags by sounding like a privileged college student who wants to come save the poor urban kids.

Phone Interview. Pretty straight forward. The interviewer was nice. 70% of the time was spent on one bullet of my resume. Don't know if that's normal lol. They ask questions about how your experiences relate to what you'd be doing in the classroom.

In-Person Interview
Some of the questions were repeats of questions I'd been asked on the phone. They also asked a few questions about the online video. They asked how do I keep organized/manage my time, we talked about my resume some more. There was a role playing portion where the interviewer acted as a school administrator and I was a teacher requesting something.

Group Activity
In my group this was excruciating. There were a number of douches that actively tried to monopolize all of the talking time. Getting in a word was difficult. It definitely felt like a competition lol. I would say try to make 4 or 5 good points, but don't be the main person talking.

Lesson Plan
THE SIMPLER THE BETTER when it comes to your lesson. And don't procrastinate on it! It will take a lot longer than you think. I would say don't start it less than 5 days in advance. Present it at least 5 times to friends, timed. That's where I messed up *tear* lol

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you missed an assignment/deadline.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – The interview consists of an online application, a phone screen, and then an in-person interview where you teach a 5 minute sample lesson.

Interview Question – The teaching of the sample lesson was the thing that threw most people off - be prepared!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Teacher Interview

Teacher

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Applied online at the last possible day. Got a phone interview. Invited for the final interview but declined

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you have had to compromise   Answer Question

Core Member Interview

Core Member

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – There are 4 application rounds per year starting in the fall. The application is thorough and requires a personal statement. A phone interview follows and if you are invited for the onsite interview then you will be required to do a sample 5min teaching lesson and 1 or 2 face-to-face interviews.

Interview Question – Would there be any reason for you to leave the core/teaching profession during your 2 year commitment?   View Answer

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Applied through the standard online process. Was required to submit an extensive work/academic history, answer questions about desire to join TFA/teaching philosophy, etc. Made it to next round, had to watch videos online of teaching scenarios and respond to questions about videos. Was given a phone interview which lasted ~30 minutes, covering basic behavioral topics (challenging experiences in group, why interested in TFA, etc.). Was rejected at this point in the process.

Interview Question – Video scenario responses were quite open-ended and therefore challenging.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – It's a long and detailed interview process with a lot of what appears to be unnecessary paperwork (like manually entering all classes into the online system). I found the final interview round most challenging. I recommend meeting with TFA alumni to prepare for the final interview, like the mock teaching exercise.

Interview Question – There weren't any really difficult questions   Answer Question

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Teach for America Corps Member

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The entire TFA application process is long and drawn out, but understandably so because they want to make sure you are truly a good fit for the corps. I was offered a final interview without a phone interview. The final interview was slightly nerve wracking--I was most concerned about the sample lesson, but that ended up being the easiest portion of the day. The two interviewers and other applicants were very enthusiastic about participating in the lesson. Much of the interview felt conversational, which was a nice surprise. During the group activity, they want to see that you are engaged and have ideas to contribute, so be vocal.

Interview Question – I was slightly taken aback by the role play scenario during the individual interview. In the situation, I was a teacher who wanted to take my children on a field trip but the assistant principal constantly denied the request; I was asked how I would handle this situation.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Two-year commitment was not fitting for my situation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America