Teach for America

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Getting the Interview

400 candidate interviews

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – First you submit your application, which is pretty straight forward. Then you have the phone interview and a test online. The phone interview is rather basic, they just ask you typical interview questions. Basically explaining your resume to them. The "test" is just a few logic questions. The last step is the 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and the in person interview. For the 5 minute lesson, just practice and pick something you are familiar with. Most importantly, MAKE IT FOLLOW THE FORMAT OF AN ACTUAL LESSON, and MAKE IT CREATIVE! You really need to display that you know the format of a lesson plan. For the group activity, be assertive but not too aggressive. Make valid points, don't talk for the sake of talking. And the final interview only took me about 25 minutes, they ask how you would ask the principal for field trip funding, etc. I walked away convinced I didn't get the job because the interview was so standardized I couldn't tell what he thought of me.

Interview Question – How would you convince a principal for funding for a field trip?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – TFA couldn't guarantee me placement in a SPED classroom, so I decided to go the traditional route of becoming a teacher.

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The interviews are wonderful experience to see what the Teach For America culture is like. It is an intense process, much like the job will be if you are chosen. The phone interviews can seem a bit awkward, but that only makes the unperson interview seem much more natural. Preparing a mock lesson can seem intimidating at first, but the key is confidence and interaction.

Interview Question – During the phone interview I was asked what the most difficult class I've taken in college was and how I handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You do not get to negotiate with TFA

TFA Corps Member Interview

TFA Corps Member

Interview Details – Three stage interview process:

1) Personal statement of intent and several short answer questions

2) Phone interview, timed online activity, and 3 references

3) In person interview and 5 minute lesson presentation

Overall, the interview experience was a long, but positive one--if you are set on joining. I had a few buddies work tirelessly through the first two steps, only to get rejected in the final round because they did not convince the interviewers they were committed to the cause. Only worth going through the trouble if you really want it.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you worked past it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Two weeks to decide, no extensions.

Interviewee Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2014.

Interview Details – There is a LONG online application. You either do not get a phone interview, get a phone interview, or get invited to a final interview. If you pass the phone interview, you make the final interview which is intense. Usually 12 people. You give your lesson plan, do a group activity, then have your individual interview. The individual interview is awkward because they are typing, but just be yourself. Focus on positive answers and highlight how you "never quit", are "passionate" and "relate" to the TFA cause (I would say DON'T do TFA if you're not passionate...).

Interview Question – I promised not to say. BUT learn everything about your resume, the website, and your application.   Answer Question

Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2010.

Interview Details – There was an online application followed by a phone interview. Some candidates skip the phone interview and go straight to the final interview. The final interview consisted of a presentation, "sample lesson", group activity and one on one interview.

Interview Question – Why Teach For America?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2014.

Interview Details – Process included an online application, which was straightforward enough, but took a while to complete. This was followed by a phone interview - I'm not supposed to share the questions, but most of them can be found on glassdoor - and an online activity, which was somewhat odd.

Interview Question – How do you organize yourself?   Answer Question

Recruitment Associate Interview

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Applied online, quick response via email. 2 phone interviews, 1 project.

Interview Question – None--pretty straightforward   Answer Question

Middle School Math Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – It was very involved and intense, but if you speak to anyone who is a teacher and have them review your practice lesson, you'll be fine. Keep it short, to the point, and allow for questions and independent work. Remember, you're not just having them take notes. You want your interviewers to remember you and your engaging lesson.

Be prepared for someone to get a question wrong in your lesson, and practice ways to respond. They looked really hurt when another person interviewing gave a flat out, "no."

Interview Question – What do you do in the face of adversity?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation. You accept or reject.

Teacher Interview

Teacher
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The interview process was tedious but not too difficult. They pretend like any and everyone is eligible and actually has a shot at getting accepted. They accept around 12% of applicants, so beware. The interviewers are very friendly and make you feel at ease. Just be yourself.

Interview Question – I cannot say   Answer Question

Teach for America Corp Member Interview

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Online Application, Phone Interview, Final Interview