Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Dayton, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a very long process. I skipped the phone interview and went directly to the final interview. I did my virtually with other 5 applicants. It was hard to do group activities virtually. Some people would talk at the same time as you and not know it or the video would freeze. It was a never ending struggle.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in TFA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Began with a recruiter email. I then applied online and was contacted that I moved on to the next stage. I then had a Phone interview, a Group interview, and a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever quit anything?   1 Answer
    • What am I most apprehensive about in this position?   1 Answer

Another opportunity was better for me.

Recruitment Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

There was an in-depth application that took a few hours to complete, followed by a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview in a central location with all other candidates who made it to that stage. I was there from 7:15 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. and all transportation and lodging was provided by Teach For America. From the point the application was due to the notification about the job offer, the process was 4 months long. Between the application and the phone interview, there was an online activity that had to be completed. The phone interview was a fairly standard 30-minute interview. After the phone interview, you get invited to the in-person interview day. The interview day consisted of 3 separate interviews for me personally; however, I met people who had 2 and people who had 5. There was a lot of down time in between each interview, and there was a lunch panel to answer questions at the location. The interviews consisted of role plays and hypotheticals, there was a prioritizing activity and then your standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Lots of role plays and hypotheticals. Do your research about the benefits of being a corps member for Teach For America are for different people (i.e., a person interested in engineering vs. a person interested in political science).   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

First, I applied online. Then waited for the decision. Afterwards, I had my final interview. I was abroad at the time, so I had to do a virtual interview. The entire interview process was pretty lengthy.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

Interview process was straight forward. Filled out an online application and wrote a few essays. I was contacted for a first phone interview with a former corps member. The former corps member was very pleasant and easy to talk to, the entire conversation lasted about 50 minutes. The application process was all very easy and you could see your interview status online.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you faced adversity. Tell me about your organization skills   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview. It was not so great because it was clear they were reading from a script. I answered a question and then I was asked a very similar question right afterwards which showed to me they weren't listening to closely but rather just following a script.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest course you've taken? Why was it so difficult? How did you overcome?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

Very straightforward phone interview. Standard questions. Be yourself, but be serious about TFA. I enjoyed the interview experience thoroughly. The interview highlights what TFA stands for and without saying, they let you know what they're seeking.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult challenge that you've faced and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Got contacted by on-campus recruiter and was told to apply. I applied, didn't have to do a phone interview, and was moved on to the final interview. The final interview was in group format and they gave us a scenario to discuss and a quick 5 minute teaching lesson. After that, we had one on one interviews with our group interview facilitators.

Interview Questions

I felt like I wanted to do something else with my career projectile and if I didn't have a great passion for TFA after the interview process then I probably shouldn't waste their time by not putting my all into being a corps member.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Interview process took over a month, but it was a great experience. You get to learn about the organization and how you can make an impact. Make sure you express your passion and be involved in the group portion of the interview. Be confident and you will do well!