Teach for America

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.5

Manager, Teacher Leadership Development Interview

Focused around alignment with core values and your analysis skillset. Communication skills are crucial in this role, therefore expect a lot of role plays.

Interview Questions
    • What did you achieve with your students? What does that mean for them? How do you know?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Started with an application then proceeded to a phone interview followed by the final in person interview.

Teacher Interview

The hiring process is pretty straightforward. First a phone interview, where they try to get an idea of who you are, why you're interested, and what you've done so far. Then, after a few online assignments, a group interview. Mine was on WebEx because I was unable to be on site on the scheduled group interview days. This includes a lesson plan and some role play.

Manager, Teacher Leadership Development Interview

You apply through a centralized system. During this initial application you need to do a web based critical thinking activity, submit a resume and cover letter. The web based activity takes several hours. If selected you will have a phone interview where they ask general questions. If you pass the phone IV you will move to a final interview.

Interview Questions
    • A role play where I had to convince a Superintendent to not fire all TFAers.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Collected emails from student campus recruiters. TFA reaches out to you to schedule an interview to talk about what TFA is and how you fit with their mission. Mostly reviewing your resume and your activities and involvement in college.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. Mostly about why you want to join TFA   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

numerous rounds. Be prepared for lots of paperwork. They are really into numbers and look for leadership experiences. At the final interview, you have to do a sample lesson plan and they are very strict about the time.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

I went through the phone interview and was able to complete a virtual final (due to being out of the country). My virtual interview was group interview as well. Each of the participants did a mock lesson and we had to work together to respond to a scenario. It was a test to see our problem solving abilities as well as our ability to work collaboratively. After that, we had seperate interviews with traditional questions.

Interview Questions
    • My interviewer presented me with a scenario in which she was my principal and I wanted to propose a new program after she had already sd that no new programs cld be implemented in the remainder of the year. She gave me a few minutes to gather my thoughts, then I had to plead my case.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation, but I would encourage everyone who applies to teach for america to be sure they are interested in teaching.

Teacher Interview

The process was relaxed, friendly. The interviewers were very kind and at no time did I feel uncomfortable or unprepared for what would come next. The interviewers did a good job of letting us know from the second we arrived how the schedule for the day would play out. The personal interview was long but enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • None were difficult; the group-teaching activity was tough though. Practicing with a group of people beforehand vs. individually is a good tactic for not going over time the day of.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Practice, practice, practice. The teaching portion of the interview is a big deal. Five minutes is not a long time and if you have a larger group, you want to make sure you are using your time and your students (fellow interviewees) wisely. Also, try to prep as much as you can before hand so that you don't go over your set up time.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult and unexpected question was how you could improve a routine that already works for you.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Two step interview process:
    1) Phone interview - looking to ascertain your "biggest impact" role. They really want to know if you have the leadership skills necessary to make a great teacher.
    2) Full day interview - nothing unexpected. The group presentations are incredibly risk-free -- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I can't overstate that enough. The in-person interview is just a conversation where they really want to get to know your motivations better.