Teach for America Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
427 interviews

3.5

Corps Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Questions
    • TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

You have to apply online through the TFA website. The application consists of leadership/work experience and some essay questions. Then, after the deadline period ends, you'll hear within about 2 weeks whether or not you have been invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes and the interviewer asks you to expand on some of your initial application, then asks you some questions related to your leadership experience, organizational skills, and why you want to join TFA. After another week or so, you may be invited to the final interview stage, where you will present a 5-minute lesson plan, participate in a group activity, and an individual interview. It's a fairly relaxed interview setting, and the process isn't competitive in the sense that only a select number of people in your group can get the job. If they think you are qualified, you will get hired. Be sure to use the STAR method for answering their questions; that's what they recommend.

Recruitment Manager Interview

Lots of activities and different rounds of interviews with different people.
    This is a great chance to really get to know the nature of the work though and to get a thorough understanding of the organization's staff culture, especially since most candidates hired into this role come out of the Corps.

Teacher Interview

interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I received a call promptly at my designated time and the interview began. The interview solid me a few times to write down some of my answers.I think that preparing yourself with one of the many teacher interview question on the internet will give your an overall idea of the type of questions that the tfa person will ask you.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths?
      Tell be about a goal/task that you accomplished.
      Festive a conflict you get had with a coworker and how was it resolved
        View Answer

Corps Member Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Teach for America.

Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Haven, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

The process is known for being rigorous, and the reputation is deserved. You turn in a few essays at the beginning with your basic stats, and then they might call you for a phone interview. Then you go to an in-person group interview where you must give a 5-minute sample lesson (demonstrating that you know 5-step lesson planning), talk about an article related to education, and do a 1-on-1 interview with a recruiter.

Director Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2013.

3 interviews, phone, 2 in person. Very straight forward- Know your role and work and the interview will be easy. 1 take home project submitted relating to the role was assigned and submitted.

Interviewee Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Athens, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I will not elaborate on the actual process because we are sworn to confidentiality but I will most definitely give you words of advice that will directly correlate to the application process.

1. If you make it t the phone interview, make sure you are prepared and confident with everything from TFA's core values and mission statement to the volunteer hours you did a few years back that you decided to put on your resume.

2. It is normal to be nervous but know that the interviewers are very kind and helpful and only want to see you succeed.

3. Once you are done with the interview, ask questions! I cannot stress this enough. If you have a chance to speak to someone who is currently in the corp why not ask them one-on-one the question or questions (if you have time) that you have been most curious about.

Most importantly, confidence is key. Be sure that you are passionate and confident about this organization!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected, just know that they will focus on your resume.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The online application is very thorough. I recommend meting with a recruiter to help answer any questions you amy have. Some applicants are required to do a phone interview; others are advanced to the final interview day. Before the final interview day, there are many forms to complete and files to upload. This takes time! You also need to secure two recommenders and one reference. The final interview day includes a sample lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2012.

The application process has multiple steps. Beyond an initial application where you answer a few general questions [why do you want to join Teach For America], you are basically submitting a resume for the first round. Then, if you are moving forward, they will contact you for either a phone interview or to let you know that you are advancing to the final round. They state that getting a phone interview does not mean you are somehow not 'as good' as someone who advances to the final stage, though it does introduce one more opportunity for you to be eliminated from the process. The final interview is an all day commitment. I don't have specific knowledge about the phone interview because I advanced to the final round. In a room with about 10 or so other applicants, you will have to present a 5 minute sample lesson. The key to this portion is your ability to name a specific objective that you will teach and literally achieve that objective such that you can demonstrate student mastery of the objective. The other applicants role play being your students during this portion, in addition to the interviewers who tend to take on 'adversarial' roles. Afterwards there is a group activity. The group has a limited amount of time to read a prompt relating to a school issue, such as expanding a program and seeking out approval from a principal who has every reason to say no. During this time, interviewers are walking around and listening/observing. This is not the time to overtalk/interrupt or 'be the boss', but rather demonstrate that you can work productively with a group of people. Finally, you will have a one on one interview where you are asked to discuss in detail how you manage tasks in high pressure situations.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what I would do in a situation where I would not meet a deadline for a project.   View Answer
    I was given the choice of my top 5 cities and I got my #1 choice. I was also given choices for subjects to teach and got one of my middle range choices.