Teach for America

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in August 2014.

There is a lengthy process here. Which is good, they are very thorough and it is scheduled out for you before it even occurrs. You submit a resume and lengthy application. Then they let you know via E-mail if you will be set up for a phone interview. If you make it this far, you are allowed to pick the time of your phone interview. If you pass this they let you know via E-mail and you must have multiple references fill out something on their website about you and you set up an interview at one of the locations they pick.

Interview Questions
    • "What was the most diffcult situation you faced, how did you handle it, and how did this help you to grow?"   Answer Question

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

TFA follows the schedule they provided. It takes about two months to complete the entire process depending on when you apply. I had a phone interview that went very well. They asked questions related to unrelated previous experience. I felt weird about it but talked about it with confidence. It took about 30 min. The final interview was not as hard as I had anticipated. I went in prepared and rocked it.

Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America in April 2013.

After submitting an application, I was emailed about setting up a phone interview. I prepared meticulously and was well prepared. The questions on this site helped a lot. More than a week after the phone interview I received an email asking to interview in person at one of their campus partners since my university had no liaisons. I traveled to CT for the interview. About 15 others were also interviewing. Before the interview we were asked to prepare a mock lesson. At the interview the interviewees were the mock students. After everyone presented their lesson, we broke up into group discussions. We had to discuss a problem at the school (an administrative issue) and how we would deal with it. Lastly, there was a one on one interview. To be honest, my impression after this was that I got the job- that's how positive the interviewer was with me.

Interview Questions
    • They asked why you wanted to be a teacher and what made you feel you were up to the challenge of teaching in an urban setting, with children and parents that are often apathetic to the school/education system   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

Had to fill out lots of online questionnaires first before being notified of phone interview, next was in person interview where you had to deliver a sample lesson that you would teach.

Interview Questions
    • They harped on very small parts of my resume and when I tried to move on they wanted to keep knowing more about a small position I held instead of some of my larger roles.   View Answer

I heard several accounts of Teach for America actually taking away jobs from professional teachers because the school board had a contract to supply a certain amount of jobs to TFA.

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Teach for America recruiters are extremely invested. I ended up not pursuing further interviews past preliminary rounds, but had an incredible experience. If you can get in contact with a campus recruiter, they will genuinely fight for you to get the job. It stinks that you don't know what location you will be placed in, but otherwise recruiting was a really pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Being creative and providing a sincere interest in the mission of Teach for America is extremely important to the interviewer.   Answer Question

I ended up changing my graduation date and no longer pursuing Teach for America in the process of this change.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Online application with statement of purpose followed by either a phone interview then an in person interview or straight to an in person interview. In Person involves teaching a 5 minute sample lesson, group exercise and finally a 1 on 1 interview. Tough process really concerned about your ability to survive in a tough environment.

Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in August 2014.

The interview was a very long process. You start with a call from a HR representative that is scoping out your resume and gaining information about your resume. Then, you go to 1st round phone interview with the specific job you are applying for. Next, 2nd round phone interview plus an emailed assignment. Lastly, you go into an in-house recruiting interview.

Institute Operations Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, followed by phone interview, interview activity, and another phone interview. Talked with previous employees and then the operations manager for the training institute. Overall a very positive interview process.

If you want to work at a specific institute, make sure you notate that on your application, otherwise they will really send you anywhere (which is kinda great too!).

TFA Corps Member Interview

Very rigorous. 2 phone interviews. One 8 hour battery day. 6 weeks institute. More interviews with districts. Then you begin. This process is very cumbersome for the actually pay you will receive. The experiences and education will gain will be very beneficially but its not the ideal way to go if you can get into better jobs out of college.

Interview Questions
    • Present a mock lesson in front of 20 - 40 other applicants. Additionally, do not disclose too many biases or preferences. They read into so much about what you think and believe. If you are conservative, you will have a hard time finding similar minded people.   Answer Question
    Where do you want to go?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2012.

Interview process was extensive. Through the interview process they also do a good job of having you drink the Kool aid and convincing you that their program is worth participating in.

Interview Questions

Despite all the prestige, at the end of the day I didn't want to teach.