Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC).

Interview

The phone interview is first, and is anywhere from 30minutes to 1 hour. Some people get invited straight to the final interview, though. The final interview process seemed to be heavily dependent upon your sample teaching lesson. Be sure to be creative! I wish I had known what to expect prior to my interview. The guidelines were so vague I had no clue if what I was doing was what was expected of me. There will also be a group activity where you have a certain amount of time to come up with a decision about a given scenario as a group.

Interview Questions

• What was your hardest college course?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Raleigh, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

Long, but liberating process of hard work! Very interesting and fun! Complete application online, with personal intent, recommendations, and resume. Phone interview first, then presentation (teaching), then one-on-one interview! Excellent interviewing process but remember to recruit differently because many CM's do not make it their full two years.

Interview Questions

• Asking your principal about a trip, without the funds, and without principal wanting to give his or her blessing. What would you do?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview. It was not so great because it was clear they were reading from a script. I answered a question and then I was asked a very similar question right afterwards which showed to me they weren't listening to closely but rather just following a script.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest course you've taken? Why was it so difficult? How did you overcome?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter over the phone. She range me up and asked me questions. She put me at ease and stressed there was no reason to worry, which was nice. She said "perfect" often, which made me think I was going to move further in the process

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized?
      Describe how you overcame a hard time.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and detailed online application. ~Two hour online exercise. I was able to skip the phone interview step and moved directly to final interview. Final interview was exactly how they describe it on the website. Group interview, Teach a 5 minute lesson, Q & A session, group activity, then individual interviews. Advice: ask questions that make your fellow applicants look good during their lessons and they'll ask nice ones back. Come prepared with questions for the Q & A session, no one had questions in my group (10 of us) so I got to ask 2 questions that helped demonstrate my interest. Don't ask a question that's already addressed online somewhere or that is very specific (e.g., can I teach in NY if I pass my PA state exams?) For the individual interview, they really let you elaborate on your answers so don't be shy! They focused on my leadership activity that I had spent the most time on. They also asked a lot about my thesis. My interviewer and I clicked on a certain topic in education reform and went on that tangent for a while, if you're passionate about educational reform, let it show--because your interviewer probably is to!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a corps member?
      Talk about a time you had to work in a group for your *insert leadership activity*.
      Talk about a time you had difficulty working with another person.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA).

Interview

First there was an Online Application which included resumee, letter of intent and also transcript. This was followed by a phone interview. I applied twice. One year I was not asked to go beyond phone interview. (I was informed I was not selected via email.) The second time I applied I passed the phone interview, was notified a few days later that I was selected for an in-person, day-long assessment which would include a 20 min teaching lesson & interview. I feel my lesson went well, however maybe the interview didn't. I requested to know more after receiving a rejection via email. Since there were 2 evaporators there it would have been nice to have a couple of reasons as to why, especially since I had applied before. I wrote an email to this effect but was told there were too many applicants. Since I did not know why I had been rejected I did not apply again.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you do to improve schools?
      Q: Under what circumstances would you leave?
      Q: Why do you think you would be a valuable teacher?

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online, and then was asked to have an interview over the phone. The phone interview was fairly standard, although they focused almost entirely on only one of the activities on my resume. The process is a little frustrating, in that after I completed the phone interview and was told that I had made it to the in-person interview, I need to complete the online activity. However, they did not open the online activity immediately, and I only had a few days in which I was expected to complete it. They also did not immediately send out requests to the people I had down for my recommendation letters. The in-person interview is a full day.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO).

Interview

After submitting my application, I was asked several weeks later about attending an interview in person. The interview style was very unique - it was an all day process. There were 2 interviewers and a group of several of us. In the morning, we all gave 5 minute lessons we had previously prepared as well as a group problem solving activity and individual interviews in the afternoon. We all had to pick a time to sign up for, some people had to wait several hours between the group interview and their individual time. The one on one interview asked very standard questions, I was mostly asked to elaborate on responses to application questions and things on my resume.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

Phone interview to briefly go over resume, then full day interview including a group role play of how would you work with other decision makers in a school, a prepared 5 minute lesson, then an individual session with one of the interviewers

Interview Questions

• How would you handle rejection of your proposal to improve student achievement?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was the phone interview which is the next part from the application. It took about 30 to 40 minutes. It was not too bad. Although they did call sooner than we had planned to converse. I believe they called at about 8 in the morning when the interview was supposed to be 10am.