Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

3.5

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interviews are wonderful experience to see what the Teach For America culture is like. It is an intense process, much like the job will be if you are chosen. The phone interviews can seem a bit awkward, but that only makes the unperson interview seem much more natural. Preparing a mock lesson can seem intimidating at first, but the key is confidence and interaction.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone interview I was asked what the most difficult class I've taken in college was and how I handled it.   Answer Question
    You do not get to negotiate with TFA

Interviewee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I will not elaborate on the actual process because we are sworn to confidentiality but I will most definitely give you words of advice that will directly correlate to the application process.

1. If you make it t the phone interview, make sure you are prepared and confident with everything from TFA's core values and mission statement to the volunteer hours you did a few years back that you decided to put on your resume.

2. It is normal to be nervous but know that the interviewers are very kind and helpful and only want to see you succeed.

3. Once you are done with the interview, ask questions! I cannot stress this enough. If you have a chance to speak to someone who is currently in the corp why not ask them one-on-one the question or questions (if you have time) that you have been most curious about.

Most importantly, confidence is key. Be sure that you are passionate and confident about this organization!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected, just know that they will focus on your resume.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I received a call promptly at my designated time and the interview began. The interview solid me a few times to write down some of my answers.I think that preparing yourself with one of the many teacher interview question on the internet will give your an overall idea of the type of questions that the tfa person will ask you.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths?
      Tell be about a goal/task that you accomplished.
      Festive a conflict you get had with a coworker and how was it resolved
        View Answer

Corp Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

First, an online form is filled out, where you answer questions about you, your experience, etc. You also upload a resume. If you advance, there is a phone interview. If you advance past that, there is a day-long, in-person interview. The interview includes a teaching sample, small group work, and a personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to go into great detail of a time when you overcame a problem.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I applied online on whim because the deadline was approaching. It was mostly leadership and volunteer activities. A week or so later I was notified I was selected for a phone interview and an online application/test. The test was evaluating grades of "students" and finding out ways to improve education. The phone interview was weird - I've done a bunch of tutoring but the interviewer only wanted me to respond to her questions regarding one position that had nothing to do with education. I spent about 45 minutes trying to answer questions about this position and the questions didn't make sense.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest accomplishment?   View Answer

Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

The hiring process is very extensive because there are 3 aspects when applying for TFA. You should dedicate time (enough time) to finish the application efficiently. The application consist of extended response questions, demographic questions and etc. If accepted to the next step you will be invited to a phone interview, which is like a typical interview. Asking follow up questions and getting to know who you are. The last step is the in-person interview which consist of a teaching portion, group activity and a one on one interview with one of the interviewers.

Recruitment Associate Interview

Applied online, quick response via email. 2 phone interviews, 1 project.

Middle School Math Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

It was very involved and intense, but if you speak to anyone who is a teacher and have them review your practice lesson, you'll be fine. Keep it short, to the point, and allow for questions and independent work. Remember, you're not just having them take notes. You want your interviewers to remember you and your engaging lesson.

Be prepared for someone to get a question wrong in your lesson, and practice ways to respond. They looked really hurt when another person interviewing gave a flat out, "no."

Interview Questions
    • What do you do in the face of adversity?   View Answer
    There's no negotiation. You accept or reject.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process was tedious but not too difficult. They pretend like any and everyone is eligible and actually has a shot at getting accepted. They accept around 12% of applicants, so beware. The interviewers are very friendly and make you feel at ease. Just be yourself.

Teach for America Corp Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online Application, Phone Interview, Final Interview