Teach for America

Average Difficulty
426 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Corps Member

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – online Application, phone interview, final group interview

Interview Question – sworn to confidentiality   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Information Technology
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The interview process is extremely long. It should be simplified by either testing one's knowledge specifically and reduce the process to from 3 sessions to 2. The recruiting staff needs to give consistent relevant feedback to a candidate that is not selected rather than stating, I'm sorry.

TFA Corps Member Interview

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – During the process there is a general application, phone interview, and final interview. During the phone interview they ask you questions from your resume and times you have had to manage difficult situations. The people who call are very friendly and do not try to trick you. The more you talk about handing difficult situations=the better.

In the final interview there are about 12 people who also interview with you. You do not have to compete with them (they can offer a position to all of you or none of you). You are asked to do a 5 minute "lesson plan," group problem solving, and a one on one interview.

Interview Question – During the final interview they give you a role playing situation in which you have to convince the "principal" (interviewer) that you should be allowed to take a group of students on a field trip (they give you road blocks as to why the trip couldn't be allowed).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Teacher Interview

Teacher
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2014.

Interview Details – Rigorous process. Includes online application with essay questions, phone interview, online activity, and comprehensive in-person interview.

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – First you submit your application, which is pretty straight forward. Then you have the phone interview and a test online. The phone interview is rather basic, they just ask you typical interview questions. Basically explaining your resume to them. The "test" is just a few logic questions. The last step is the 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and the in person interview. For the 5 minute lesson, just practice and pick something you are familiar with. Most importantly, MAKE IT FOLLOW THE FORMAT OF AN ACTUAL LESSON, and MAKE IT CREATIVE! You really need to display that you know the format of a lesson plan. For the group activity, be assertive but not too aggressive. Make valid points, don't talk for the sake of talking. And the final interview only took me about 25 minutes, they ask how you would ask the principal for field trip funding, etc. I walked away convinced I didn't get the job because the interview was so standardized I couldn't tell what he thought of me.

Interview Question – How would you convince a principal for funding for a field trip?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – TFA couldn't guarantee me placement in a SPED classroom, so I decided to go the traditional route of becoming a teacher.

Claremont, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

Interview Details – TFA is very transparent. Prior to my phone and in-person interview, I studied their website and mission diligently (TFA recommends doing this.) I also went online and looked for suggestions as to how best to prepare for the phone and in-person interview. I would highly recommend preparing several (maybe 3 to 4) vignettes that highlight your leadership abilities. It may even be good to detail a time when you struggled or even failed to accomplish a goal. However, if you choose to include a vignette of this type, be sure to make clear the lessons/principles you took away from that experience and how it may have helped you to approach similar situations.

Interview Question – TFA is pretty transparent about their interview process. Though, little information is given regarding the actual questions they might ask, they do provide several suggestions in follow-up e-mails about how to tackle and prepare for the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At first I was placed in a region far from home, but I was able to get a regional transfer. Keep in mind, that my situation is not typical. TFA states that their offers are usually final. The placement team works to place you in one of your preferred regions, but they necessarily have to do so within the contexts of regional/employer needs i.e. if you lack significant coursework in the science or math, it will be difficult for them to place you in the Bay Area , as this region is in need of teachers competent in that subject.

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The interviews are wonderful experience to see what the Teach For America culture is like. It is an intense process, much like the job will be if you are chosen. The phone interviews can seem a bit awkward, but that only makes the unperson interview seem much more natural. Preparing a mock lesson can seem intimidating at first, but the key is confidence and interaction.

Interview Question – During the phone interview I was asked what the most difficult class I've taken in college was and how I handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You do not get to negotiate with TFA

TFA Corps Member Interview

TFA Corps Member

Interview Details – Three stage interview process:

1) Personal statement of intent and several short answer questions

2) Phone interview, timed online activity, and 3 references

3) In person interview and 5 minute lesson presentation

Overall, the interview experience was a long, but positive one--if you are set on joining. I had a few buddies work tirelessly through the first two steps, only to get rejected in the final round because they did not convince the interviewers they were committed to the cause. Only worth going through the trouble if you really want it.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you worked past it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Two weeks to decide, no extensions.

Interviewee Interview

Interviewee

Interview Details – There is a LONG online application. You either do not get a phone interview, get a phone interview, or get invited to a final interview. If you pass the phone interview, you make the final interview which is intense. Usually 12 people. You give your lesson plan, do a group activity, then have your individual interview. The individual interview is awkward because they are typing, but just be yourself. Focus on positive answers and highlight how you "never quit", are "passionate" and "relate" to the TFA cause (I would say DON'T do TFA if you're not passionate...).

Interview Question – I promised not to say. BUT learn everything about your resume, the website, and your application.   Answer Question

Recruitment Associate Interview

Recruitment Associate

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Applied online, quick response via email. 2 phone interviews, 1 project.

Interview Question – None--pretty straightforward   Answer Question