Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.5

Teacher/Corps Member Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Teach for America.

1) There's an application process in which you have to fill out a lot of information about you first, and also includes a letter of intent and a resume that you have to fill and upload.

2) Then there's the phone interview. Which does ask you some personal questions about your interests and know more about you as a person. There's also an online activity to assess your "sound judgment" and "analytical skills".

3) Then there's the full day interview. It's not necessarily a full-day, but there's only about two interviewers on the site. You teach a lesson plan in the morning, followed by a personal interview in the afternoon. If you happen to get the last time slot from 4:20-ish to 5:00, then you pretty much stay the full day there.

Interview Questions
    • At some point during the personal interview, they will ask about your responses from the online activity. Access to the activity was limited, so better be prepared to remember/take note of your responses!!   Answer Question

Recruitment Associate Interview

Applied online, quick response via email. 2 phone interviews, 1 project.

Recruitment Manager Interview

Lots of activities and different rounds of interviews with different people.
    This is a great chance to really get to know the nature of the work though and to get a thorough understanding of the organization's staff culture, especially since most candidates hired into this role come out of the Corps.

Operations Coordinator Interview

The interview process for this position is conducted by one main interviewer, a director-level worker, and a few director-level others may stand by to listen in on the interview. The interview was not stressful but was longer than other interviews for jobs. They seem to like extremely busy people who have a lot to talk about.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about previous leadership experience and difficulties. Most questions were straight-forward.   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

After completing an activity demonstrating our ability to plan and organize a typical day at the Institute, we discussed the plan I had submitted and the reasoning behind my decisions. Pretty basic. The interviewer then asked about my interest in Teach For America and my reasons for applying for the position. She asked what was one of the most challenging experiences I have encountered. Also, she asked for a time when I disagreed with a supervisor.

Interview Questions
    The offer was straight forward - no negotiation took place.

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview was very thorough. They do not really do a good job of getting to know the new employer. It is clear there is a right answer and if you dont say the right answer, with respect to their corp values, they wont seek to understand why you disagree. Very difficult to get accepted but if you talk about you lack of priviledge...ie if you are of any minority than it is A LOT easier to get in.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about profound additional impact within the classroom?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

This was a very thorough and thoughtful process. Most questions are relevant, thought provoking, and really get down to how well you will perform in the job. There are technical aspects depending upon the role, but this was a key indicator of success for me as a candidate as well as the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • If outside the organization, knowledge of the nature of the work as a whole.   Answer Question

Corp Member Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Teach for America.

The phone interview was all of the basic behavioral questions. One thing that I have not seen anyone else mention is to make sure you really create a connection with your interview. I think this is a good determination if you move forward. My interview was very friendly and reacted to my answers like a normal conversation as opposed to one of my friends who interviewed and she said her interviewer just said ok to all of her answers. This could be different for everyone.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

Resume, Letter of Intent, Online Application

Online Activity, Phone Interview

Letters of Recommendation, Full Day Interview

TFA Corps Member Interview

online app with statement of interest, phone interview, online assignments, in person interview