Teach for America

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

3.5

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

There was an online application which you answered short answers about why you wanted to work for TFA, questions about your leadership/experiences. From there I was invited to a phone interview, which was a pretty basic,typical interview, where she asked questions about my resume, why I want to work for them, ect. After I had to do an online activity and then invited to a final interview. The final interview, personally was the most enjoyable part of the process. The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, which you teach to all of the other interviewees, a group activity/discussion, introduction of the interviewers and a chance to ask them questions, and then a one on one interview. The interviewers were very friendly and enthusiastic, which in turn made me more comfortable and excited to join.

Interview Questions
    • You had to role play a scenario with your interviewer, which could range from a variety of topics involving education, and problems you'll face in the classroom. Mine was trying to convince the principle why I (as a teacher) should take the class on a field trip. It was only difficult because it can be a bit awkward and strange to role play   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

The interview process for this position is conducted by one main interviewer, a director-level worker, and a few director-level others may stand by to listen in on the interview. The interview was not stressful but was longer than other interviews for jobs. They seem to like extremely busy people who have a lot to talk about.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about previous leadership experience and difficulties. Most questions were straight-forward.   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

After completing an activity demonstrating our ability to plan and organize a typical day at the Institute, we discussed the plan I had submitted and the reasoning behind my decisions. Pretty basic. The interviewer then asked about my interest in Teach For America and my reasons for applying for the position. She asked what was one of the most challenging experiences I have encountered. Also, she asked for a time when I disagreed with a supervisor.

Interview Questions
    The offer was straight forward - no negotiation took place.

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Online form and short essay questions, then invited for a short screening phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected, but the phone interview is odd because it feels like you're talking to a machine.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Questions
    • How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

Middle School Math Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

It was very involved and intense, but if you speak to anyone who is a teacher and have them review your practice lesson, you'll be fine. Keep it short, to the point, and allow for questions and independent work. Remember, you're not just having them take notes. You want your interviewers to remember you and your engaging lesson.

Be prepared for someone to get a question wrong in your lesson, and practice ways to respond. They looked really hurt when another person interviewing gave a flat out, "no."

Interview Questions
    • What do you do in the face of adversity?   View Answer
    There's no negotiation. You accept or reject.

Recruitment Associate Interview

Applied online, quick response via email. 2 phone interviews, 1 project.

Teacher Interview

phone interview was about resume

Interview Questions
    • have you ever been in a conflict with someone you worked with and what did you do about it   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

online application, final interview

Teach for America Corp Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online Application, Phone Interview, Final Interview