Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.5

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions

• What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   1 Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Starts off with basic GPA and general info. The next round is a phone interview and short essay questionaire. All of the interviewers were personal and easy to talk with. The final round involved a five minute lesson plan, a group activity, and a one on one interview. Make sure that you positively contribute to the group activity, and listen to the other applicants ideas. The one on one interview was easy going and friendly.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted the online form requesting information and was immediately contacted by a university recruiter (the one responsible for my university). She was very nice and asked to set up an informal phone conversation, which ended up feeling like an interview, but when very well! She very SUPER friendly and easy to talk to (she was very young). She engaged me in issues concerning racial and educational inequality. I felt like I was talking to a close friend.

After submitting the online application (didn't take too long, only 3-4 questions that require a couple short paragraphs - although I spent about a week on them), I was accelerated to the final round of interviews.

This required that I submit teacher recs, complete an online activity, and prepare for the interview day, which included a 5 min sample teach, a short group activity, and a 30 minute interview.

The sample teach went really well! I chose something simple (lines, segments, and rays). The group activity was a little weird because it felt weird working with others as the TFA person watched close by and took notes.

I did not feel that the interview went well. The woman warned me that she would be typing during the interview, but it felt unsettling being unable to make eye contact during the 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• To be honest, all of the questions felt unexpected. I was anticipating that they would ask questions concerning educational inequity in the US to gauge my passion, because an interview seems like the most appropriate way to do so. However, I was asked questions about my leadership on campus, classes, challenges I have faced, difficult people I have worked with.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

interviewed at Teach for America in February 2013.

Interview

I participated in the initial screening / application process. This included a detailed questionnaire and a series of short prompts, as well as a complete listing of my previous job/work experience. I completed an online test, which included scenarios. I then took part in a 30-minute phone interview. Shortly after the interview, I was informed by email that I had not advanced to the next round of the process.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding the scenarios were somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

The in-person process was a day long and took up very much time and effort. There were so many activities including a prepared 5-minute lesson and pre-interview work that took approximately an hour. Some applicants will also have to do a phone interview screening which takes approximately 30 minutes. Rest assured that every applicant who is qualified will be hired. The first part of the interview is the lesson in which over 30 people in a room gave the lesson they prepared. Then, there is a fishbowl activity in which the groups are split up and given a question to answer, usually having to do with a school. Finally, there is the personal interview which takes up about a half hour after the lesson, usually following a lunch break.

Interview Questions

• You are in a group of teachers whose principal has chosen to change the curriculum that you are teaching. How will you present to the principal that the curriculum should or should not be changed? (group activity)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as to compensation, but there were options as to where geographically you wanted to go.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

It was a multi-step process. Throughout the whole thing I felt like they were interested in what I brought to the table as a whole and not just my thoughts on education.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA does an amazing job with the interview process. It started with a phone interview with human resources, then a phone call with hiring manager and a follow up call with examples of work. Finally there was an assignment that you completed and discussed at the last in-person interview. Very professional and thorough.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Do not really negotiate pay - human resources specifically tells you they will not negotiate.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

First step is application, basic information and then 3 questions. If you advance, there is a phone interview which they ask you basic experience and education. If advance after that, you will have a final interview day consisting of a 5 minute lesson plan, group discussion, and additional interview. Be creative for class lesson

Bilingual Placement Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2011.

Interview

It is a rigorous interview process. There were five levels when I applied. There is the online application. Then there is the phone interview, then I had a group interview, personal one-on-one interview, and then interview with the principal of the hiring school. For the group interview, I had to prepare a mini lesson plan for the other applicants while the interviewers observed. My advice for all the rounds is to show why you think you would make a great teacher and explain why you want to teach in the first place. Once you can answer those questions, the rest is easy.

Interview Questions

• If I wanted to take my class on a field trip and the principal said no, what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I should have asked more questions as to what a bilingual placement could entail. I thought it was more of an ESL position but it could also mean immersion programs. TFA doesn't pay you the district does and I didn't even consider negotiating at the time, but what I would recommend is for you to carefully read the contract as to what you are agreeing to do before signing.