Teach for America

Average Difficulty
416 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Question – How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

Interview Question – Tell me what a typical Wednesday would look like   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in June 2010.

Interview Details – First, I had a phone interview with a member of their Human Assets team, who asked me basic questions I would expect in any interview process. Then, I interviewed in person with members of the sub-team I applied to join. Finally, I interviewed with other members of the larger team to which that sub-team belongs. I got the impression that the key interview was the second one - the first was more of a screen, and the final was more to make sure I could get along with the people I would be working with on the periphery.

Interview Question – They asked me to explain what their team did. In theory, it sounds like an easy question to answer, but looking someone in the eye and telling them what exactly it is that they do was surprisingly difficult.   Answer Question

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Very structured interview process. Expectations for interviewees are clearly defined and interview sticks to those expectations. Each stage gets increasingly more involved and difficult. First round is focused on leadership positions, second round (phone) is mostly a behavioral interview, and the third round really assesses your desire to be in the classroom.

Interview Question – What would lead you to quit TFA?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Operations Coordinator Interview

Operations Coordinator

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – After completing an activity demonstrating our ability to plan and organize a typical day at the Institute, we discussed the plan I had submitted and the reasoning behind my decisions. Pretty basic. The interviewer then asked about my interest in Teach For America and my reasons for applying for the position. She asked what was one of the most challenging experiences I have encountered. Also, she asked for a time when I disagreed with a supervisor.

Interview Question – None - all were pretty expected given the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was straight forward - no negotiation took place.

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Online form and short essay questions, then invited for a short screening phone interview.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected, but the phone interview is odd because it feels like you're talking to a machine.   Answer Question

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2012.

Interview Details – Online Application (see website for details). Then, you have to wait a long time. Then, a possible phone interview. Phone interview focused on areas of impact or leadership experience. Then, all day group interview followed by an individual interview. Had to do a mock lesson, group project, and discussions. Then, wait more to hear back. Overall, took 2 months.

Interview Question – Proving your track record of success quantitatively.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary and benefits are provided by schools district.

Operations Coordinator Interview

Operations Coordinator

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – The interview process for this position is conducted by one main interviewer, a director-level worker, and a few director-level others may stand by to listen in on the interview. The interview was not stressful but was longer than other interviews for jobs. They seem to like extremely busy people who have a lot to talk about.

Interview Question – They asked about previous leadership experience and difficulties. Most questions were straight-forward.   Answer Question

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – There was an online application which you answered short answers about why you wanted to work for TFA, questions about your leadership/experiences. From there I was invited to a phone interview, which was a pretty basic,typical interview, where she asked questions about my resume, why I want to work for them, ect. After I had to do an online activity and then invited to a final interview. The final interview, personally was the most enjoyable part of the process. The final interview consisted of a 5 minute lesson plan, which you teach to all of the other interviewees, a group activity/discussion, introduction of the interviewers and a chance to ask them questions, and then a one on one interview. The interviewers were very friendly and enthusiastic, which in turn made me more comfortable and excited to join.

Interview Question – You had to role play a scenario with your interviewer, which could range from a variety of topics involving education, and problems you'll face in the classroom. Mine was trying to convince the principle why I (as a teacher) should take the class on a field trip. It was only difficult because it can be a bit awkward and strange to role play   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The first step of the interview process is a lengthy online application. There is a phone interview, which focused on leadership, and online activity, which felt like it was addressing diversity. The final interview involved a group activity, a five-minute sample lesson and a one-on-one interview. The one-on-one was impersonal and challenging. The interviewer was typing literally every word I said, and it was hard to be passionate and personable. Then entire day went remarkably quickly.

Interview Question – During the one-on-one interview, you will do a role play as a TFA teacher. Immediately following the five-minute scene, the interviewer asked what I could have done better. It caught me immediately off guard, and I thought, "Well, we just ended it. If there was something I thought I could have done better, I probably would have just done it." Humility, humility, humility.

They'll ask why TFA, of course, organizational skills, have you ever quit something, etc. The interviewer asked about things on my résumé that I didn't expect her to care about. That really caught me off guard. She didn't ask about the experiences where I was leading and not about anything recent. That was the hardest part.
  Answer Question