Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.5

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

First step is application, basic information and then 3 questions. If you advance, there is a phone interview which they ask you basic experience and education. If advance after that, you will have a final interview day consisting of a 5 minute lesson plan, group discussion, and additional interview. Be creative for class lesson

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Evanston, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

sample teach, group interview, solo interview. The interview took about 3 hours with two interviewers, and about 12 other applicants. The environment was very casual, and applicants had to both act as teachers for their lessons and students for the other lessons. About half the applicants were from my university, and the other half were adults from the area.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Interview

Completed an online application. Then got selected for a phone interview where I was asked basic questions regarding my answers on the online application. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I got a final in-person interview. My interview took place virtually. It was broken up into group activities, teaching simulation, and one-on-one interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

An online application, phone screening (which I skipped), and an in-person, group/1-on-1 interview. University recruiters gave ample opportunities to learn about TFA and speak with TFA alum. The final interview can be intimidating, but I think the group setting put everyone at ease. PRACTICE your presentation. They are strict with the time-limit. One minute to set up and five minutes to present. Engage with the other group members, all of whom will play along and be supportive. Make it fun if you can.

Interview Questions

• One scenario asked us to choose between closing a school and or laying off teachers. In a fish bowl setting, interviewers watched us figure out this scenario in a group and present to everyone else.   1 Answer
    • How might you respond when things get difficult in the classroom?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You provide your placement preferences (up to ten cities/regions) and your subject/grade level preferences. Should you get an offer, there is absolutely no room for negotiation with your placement city. Because TFA is like a hiring agency, they do no place you in a school directly. After you're accepted, you place a reformatted resume into their resume bank, from which schools in your city will view various first-year corps members to interview. Your subject/grade level placement will depend on the actual school you end up working for, and they determine staffing based on their own specific needs.

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for a VP position and was invited to talk with a HR manager. He expressed interest in my qualifications, but asked me to consider a different, less senior, more recent role of managing director. It was a nice conversation and I decided to learn more about the MD role. A few weeks later I was invited to complete a short writing exercise and to interview with two senior staff members. We talked for about 75 minutes, and their questions were standard and felt fair. I thought it was a good conversation, and that we could be a good fit for each other. Then, things took a turn for the worse: they pledged to reach out within the week, and it was 3+ weeks before I heard from them again. When they did reach out they said, "Sorry, we were traveling, would you like to participate in a second timed writing exercise." I agreed, but when they sent that late without apology I decided to opt out of the process entirely. It ultimately felt a little disrespectful - I sensed a bit of hubris in their operations and remote communications, which worried me given the nature of the role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to manage various stakeholders to achieve your goals.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Got contacted by one of the recruiting manager and applied online. Online application basically ask you to fill out education background, work experiences, and essays. After you submit online application you will get to pick phone interview dates and time. You will also need two letters of recommendation and references. Before preparing, it is very helpful to look at online website and videos regarding TFA to know about the culture and vision.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I went through 4 interviews over the span of 3 months for an assistant position. The interview process went by very fast once I passed through the HR screening but the regional team seemed to be very unorganized in terms of who will manage the position

Interview Questions

• I was asked a lot of questions about my values which I did not think were relevant to the position at all but I understand that as an org, TFA wants to hire more of the same   Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Began with an online interview, and was then invited to a phone interview. The recruiting manager of my area was very involved with my whole application, and we had a phone meeting as well as an online group meeting for the people who had been invited for phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• I would say about 80% of the interview questions were about one activity that I had listed on my resume (i.e., Tell me about a time that you faced adversity.. in the context of ___.)   Answer Question

Applying for TFA Interview

Interview

Gives 2 interviews - one over phone and one in person. I have heard they are very different in content. I was surprised they asked a lot of questions about my personal resume. It was a bit awkward with pauses because my interviewer was writing a lot of my information down while talking to me. Otherwise, a typical job interview. Be honest and do your best.