Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

An online application, phone screening (which I skipped), and an in-person, group/1-on-1 interview. University recruiters gave ample opportunities to learn about TFA and speak with TFA alum. The final interview can be intimidating, but I think the group setting put everyone at ease. PRACTICE your presentation. They are strict with the time-limit. One minute to set up and five minutes to present. Engage with the other group members, all of whom will play along and be supportive. Make it fun if you can.

Interview Questions

• One scenario asked us to choose between closing a school and or laying off teachers. In a fish bowl setting, interviewers watched us figure out this scenario in a group and present to everyone else.   1 Answer
    • How might you respond when things get difficult in the classroom?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You provide your placement preferences (up to ten cities/regions) and your subject/grade level preferences. Should you get an offer, there is absolutely no room for negotiation with your placement city. Because TFA is like a hiring agency, they do no place you in a school directly. After you're accepted, you place a reformatted resume into their resume bank, from which schools in your city will view various first-year corps members to interview. Your subject/grade level placement will depend on the actual school you end up working for, and they determine staffing based on their own specific needs.

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for a VP position and was invited to talk with a HR manager. He expressed interest in my qualifications, but asked me to consider a different, less senior, more recent role of managing director. It was a nice conversation and I decided to learn more about the MD role. A few weeks later I was invited to complete a short writing exercise and to interview with two senior staff members. We talked for about 75 minutes, and their questions were standard and felt fair. I thought it was a good conversation, and that we could be a good fit for each other. Then, things took a turn for the worse: they pledged to reach out within the week, and it was 3+ weeks before I heard from them again. When they did reach out they said, "Sorry, we were traveling, would you like to participate in a second timed writing exercise." I agreed, but when they sent that late without apology I decided to opt out of the process entirely. It ultimately felt a little disrespectful - I sensed a bit of hubris in their operations and remote communications, which worried me given the nature of the role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to manage various stakeholders to achieve your goals.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Got contacted by one of the recruiting manager and applied online. Online application basically ask you to fill out education background, work experiences, and essays. After you submit online application you will get to pick phone interview dates and time. You will also need two letters of recommendation and references. Before preparing, it is very helpful to look at online website and videos regarding TFA to know about the culture and vision.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I went through 4 interviews over the span of 3 months for an assistant position. The interview process went by very fast once I passed through the HR screening but the regional team seemed to be very unorganized in terms of who will manage the position

Interview Questions

• I was asked a lot of questions about my values which I did not think were relevant to the position at all but I understand that as an org, TFA wants to hire more of the same   Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Began with an online interview, and was then invited to a phone interview. The recruiting manager of my area was very involved with my whole application, and we had a phone meeting as well as an online group meeting for the people who had been invited for phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• I would say about 80% of the interview questions were about one activity that I had listed on my resume (i.e., Tell me about a time that you faced adversity.. in the context of ___.)   Answer Question

Applying for TFA Interview

Interview

Gives 2 interviews - one over phone and one in person. I have heard they are very different in content. I was surprised they asked a lot of questions about my personal resume. It was a bit awkward with pauses because my interviewer was writing a lot of my information down while talking to me. Otherwise, a typical job interview. Be honest and do your best.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

You apply online then you may be selected to a phone interview. Then you may be selected to the inperson group interview. I didnt get past the phone interview, though I hit t off with my interviewer. It's understandable--I know the interviewers don't have power over who can move on or not just because you had a great conversation. It was a behavioral interview, so be prepared for that. They really look for leaders and people who overcome hard situations who are good problem solvers and multitaskers.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The initial step of the process is a lengthy application, complete with GPAs by school year, personal statements and short answer questions, examples of your leadership, etc. After this step, they notify the applicants that are moving to the next round that they must have a phone interview. Roughly 50% of applicants will be released after this round, as their website states. Following this interview, you will either be released or invited to the final round. Before the final interview, you must then complete an online task which includes a timed exam to measure your critical thinking skills, followed by a few short answer questions which are not timed. Bonus points for incorporating any of their values in this step! There isn't much you can do to prepare for this portion, it's just a way to measure how quickly and accurately you are able to analyze situations. The day of the final interview, you will be in a group of 6-12 other applicants and 2-4 interviewers. You must first give a 5 minute teaching sample. This was kind of a waste of time, but whatever, it's required. Afterward there is a "group task," basically to see how you are able to collaborate and work with others. This was easy, they give you a situation which you resolve alone, then come back together to discuss it as a group. My whole group agreed, so we didn't have much to talk about. Lastly will come the actual interview. At this point, there isn't much about you that they don't already know. ALL of my questions were repeated directly from my phone interview, which was extremely frustrating. After the final round, they will give you 2 weeks to wait until you hear back, and then will have 2 weeks to accept the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to do Teach For America over AmeriCorps?   Answer Question

I wasn't willing to move to the location in which I had been placed.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA follows the schedule they provided. It takes about two months to complete the entire process depending on when you apply. I had a phone interview that went very well. They asked questions related to unrelated previous experience. I felt weird about it but talked about it with confidence. It took about 30 min. The final interview was not as hard as I had anticipated. I went in prepared and rocked it.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Submitted a general inquiry to TFA for more information. Spoke to a recruiter and former alumni from my university. Submitted a simple application online. Received a favorable email to set up a phone interview. Set up a phone interview. Spoke on the phone with another TFA Corps member. The process was very simple and the questions asked are all on Glassdoor.