Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.5

Teach for America Corp Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Online Application, Phone Interview, Final Interview

N/A

online application, final interview

Teacher Interview

phone interview was about resume

Interview Questions
    • have you ever been in a conflict with someone you worked with and what did you do about it   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2011.

Very long interview process. Questions specifically targeting organization/prioritization/project management skills. Interview probes for as specific of answers as possible that reveal a true thought process and detailed steps within your answer.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions regarding a challenge you faced and how you prioritized, asked in many different ways - be prepared with multiple examples of how you have faced challenging workloads, communication issues, relationship issues, organizational challenges, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiations b/c it is a non profit. You accept or decline.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2012.

I actually felt cheated with my interview considering how much time and effort I put into preparing. My interviewer spent the first 5 minutes talking about how tired and exhausted she was and yawned throughout the interview stating she was tired. Overall very disappointing and turned me off from reapplying.

Interview Questions
    • It was pretty straightforward. Be prepared to answer many questions from your application.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Questions
    • How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in June 2010.

First, I had a phone interview with a member of their Human Assets team, who asked me basic questions I would expect in any interview process. Then, I interviewed in person with members of the sub-team I applied to join. Finally, I interviewed with other members of the larger team to which that sub-team belongs. I got the impression that the key interview was the second one - the first was more of a screen, and the final was more to make sure I could get along with the people I would be working with on the periphery.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to explain what their team did. In theory, it sounds like an easy question to answer, but looking someone in the eye and telling them what exactly it is that they do was surprisingly difficult.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Very structured interview process. Expectations for interviewees are clearly defined and interview sticks to those expectations. Each stage gets increasingly more involved and difficult. First round is focused on leadership positions, second round (phone) is mostly a behavioral interview, and the third round really assesses your desire to be in the classroom.

No negotiation.

Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

After completing an activity demonstrating our ability to plan and organize a typical day at the Institute, we discussed the plan I had submitted and the reasoning behind my decisions. Pretty basic. The interviewer then asked about my interest in Teach For America and my reasons for applying for the position. She asked what was one of the most challenging experiences I have encountered. Also, she asked for a time when I disagreed with a supervisor.

Interview Questions
    The offer was straight forward - no negotiation took place.