Teach for America

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2008.

Interview Details – TFA has a long interview process, which includes multiple phone interviews, completing a task/project, and then completing multiple in-person interviews. Salaries are relatively high (in the non-profit world), but not very negotiable since the organization does a lot of internal and external benchmarking to establish salaries for each position.

A lot of focus is on fitting into their "core values"- relentless pursuit of results, respect & humility, sense of possibility, disciplined thought, & integrity. They will specifically be looking for you to demonstrate each of these qualities.

Once they select you for a position, they will court you with multiple people reaching out to try to woo you to work for the organization (don't be too enticed since that's the most personal the organization will ever be).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your greatest achievement and the obstacles you overcame to reach it.   Answer Question
  • How did you quantitatively measure success with X?   View Answer

Managing Director

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Teach for America in April 2010.

Interview Details – Within three days of applying on-line contacted for a phone screen interview. Asked to select an interview time and review TFA's core values. Phone interview consisted of interest in position, how addressed a challenge on the job, what TFA value you most identify with and one you identify least. How you display the TFA values in your work, etc.

Interview Question – Regarding the TFA values which do you identify with the least and how are you addressing that value.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Teach for America in July 2010.

Interview Details – The first interview was with the HR rep. That interview ended with a warning of a salary cap that I would have to agree to live with it before moving on. From there, I was brought in multiple times, speaking to people at varying levels. They were all very nice, but seemed disorganized, with a lack of communication and then a sense of urgency. The interviews themselves were pretty straightforward (Q&A, no tests), but again a bit unstructured, and they kept starting late and running long without the interviewer seeming to have gotten what they wanted out of it. They kept giving me feedback that everybody liked me, but in the end, they did not offer a job for reasons that were not very clear or consistent with what had transpired.

Interview Question – The HR rep asked alot of the "tell me about a time that you failed to accomplish something and what you learned from it" sorts of questions.   View Answer

Managing Director

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The phone interview was very structured. The Talent Director gave me a clear framework of what we would speak about, and for how long. At the end of the interview, she gave me a clear picture of the hiring process and a date by which I would hear from her, if I were to be selected for an in-person interview. often, they ask management-level staff to complete a sample project or report before the second interview.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard: Tell me about your greatest success, tell me about a time that you resolved a conflict with a colleague, etc.   Answer Question

Managing Director

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very organized and efficient. The number of interviews was necessary for the role that I would be taking on.

Interview Question – How do you build culture?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Managing Director

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2013.

Interview Details – As many have already mentioned, the hiring process for TFA is very structured, but in my opinion it's overdone. According to the hiring manager, I was actually 1 of 2 top candidates for the job, but unfortunately for me the other person was offered the position. The entire process took 4 agonizing months and a call to my supervisor for a reference, only for them to offer the job to my opponent in the end.

My interview process was as follows: I first completed the initial phone interview screening. About 4-5 weeks later I was contacted to do a second phone interview with a member from the team I would be working with and the program assistant. A few days after that I was given a 2-part critical thinking assignment, which had a 1-week deadline. Two weeks after submitting the assignment I was contacted once again to interview with the hiring manager. Following that interview, I spoke with 2 additional team members, and a few days later I had my final interview with a VP based in a different location.

Everyone I spoke to was always extemely polite and seemingly very interested in my ideas, but I did often wonder if they were being genuine. When it was all said and done, I wasn't provided much feedback as to why they decided to go with the other candidate, only that it was a "really tough decision." The hiring manager even went on to say that my references were excellent and how great of a job I'm doing in my present work. Overall, I still believe that TFA is likely a great place to work, but after my long, drawn-out experience I doubt I will ever apply with this organization again.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty straight-forward, and many of them had to do with corporate relationship building and how well you can handle challenges.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach for America Managing Director interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Teach for America employees and interview candidates.