Teach for America

Teach for America Interview Questions in Philadelphia, PA

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Alumni Affairs Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in September 2012.

I filled out the general application on Teach For America's website. I got a follow up email from them in about 3-4 weeks. From there I scheduled a phone interview, where I was screened for a few different positions, where I expressed my interest in a specific role. I then had a 2nd phone interview one week later, which was followed by a 3rd interview a few days after. The entire process was long, but I was so at ease with the staff. I did not end up getting the position, but was in the top 3 contenders. They were so nice, even when it came to telling me I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions, they were not trying to be tricky like in some interviews. They asked the standard questions:

"What core values do you identify with most"?
      "What are your thoughts on the mission"?
      "Why are you interested in this position/what do you know about TFA"?
      "What does leadership mean to you"?
      "Describe a time you took on a leadership position"?
      "How do you stay organized"? (They want a very detailed answer here)
      "Name a time you failed at something, how did you handle it"?
      "If we talked to your supervisor, what would he/she say you need to improve on"?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach for America in November 2010.

I was passed through to the final round with no phone interview, but usually consists of a 30 min phone interview with similar questions. Questions like: how do you stay organized? Name a time you held a leadership position? Have you ever missed a deadline?

Interview Questions

Did not feel it was the right fit for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2009.

First round is a phone interview where the interviewer asks you questions about America's education achievement gap and why you want to be a teacher. Second round interviews are all day and consist of a sample lesson, group interview, and individual interview. Individual interview is the most important. Asks you strength/weakness questions and why you want to become a teacher.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you worked in a school where the Principal did not support your instructional decisions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2008.

You first must submit a written application consisting of transcripts and essays, etc. Then there is normally a phone interview, or you can sent straight to the final interview, which consists of a whole day of group interviewing, problem solving, and individual interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How would you negotiate purchasing text books for your classroom to a principal who does not want to spend money on them?   Answer Question
    There was nothing to negotiate for me. Teach for America is pretty standard. I have heard that some people were able to negotiate the region they are placed in, but my understanding is that there is not often too much flexibility.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Teach for America in January 2007.

Teach For America is a young demanding organization that prides itself in being full of the 'best and brightest' college graduates. If you are serious about getting hired by TFA, be sure to become a campus campaign manager at your college or take on impressive leadership roles where you actually overcome obstacles to accomplish something. Good oral and written communication skills are important.

Interview Questions
    • What were the biggest challenges you faced in ________? (this specific position on your resume)   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate any terms.