Teach for America

Relevance Date Difficulty

Alumni Affairs Coordinator Interview

Alumni Affairs Coordinator
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out the general application on Teach For America's website. I got a follow up email from them in about 3-4 weeks. From there I scheduled a phone interview, where I was screened for a few different positions, where I expressed my interest in a specific role. I then had a 2nd phone interview one week later, which was followed by a 3rd interview a few days after. The entire process was long, but I was so at ease with the staff. I did not end up getting the position, but was in the top 3 contenders. They were so nice, even when it came to telling me I was not offered the position.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions, they were not trying to be tricky like in some interviews. They asked the standard questions:

"What core values do you identify with most"?
"What are your thoughts on the mission"?
"Why are you interested in this position/what do you know about TFA"?
"What does leadership mean to you"?
"Describe a time you took on a leadership position"?
"How do you stay organized"? (They want a very detailed answer here)
"Name a time you failed at something, how did you handle it"?
"If we talked to your supervisor, what would he/she say you need to improve on"?
  Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was passed through to the final round with no phone interview, but usually consists of a 30 min phone interview with similar questions. Questions like: how do you stay organized? Name a time you held a leadership position? Have you ever missed a deadline?

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Did not feel it was the right fit for me.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2009.

Interview Details – First round is a phone interview where the interviewer asks you questions about America's education achievement gap and why you want to be a teacher. Second round interviews are all day and consist of a sample lesson, group interview, and individual interview. Individual interview is the most important. Asks you strength/weakness questions and why you want to become a teacher.

Interview Question – What would you do if you worked in a school where the Principal did not support your instructional decisions?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2008.

Interview Details – You first must submit a written application consisting of transcripts and essays, etc. Then there is normally a phone interview, or you can sent straight to the final interview, which consists of a whole day of group interviewing, problem solving, and individual interviews.

Interview Question – How would you negotiate purchasing text books for your classroom to a principal who does not want to spend money on them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was nothing to negotiate for me. Teach for America is pretty standard. I have heard that some people were able to negotiate the region they are placed in, but my understanding is that there is not often too much flexibility.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2007.

Interview Details – Teach For America is a young demanding organization that prides itself in being full of the 'best and brightest' college graduates. If you are serious about getting hired by TFA, be sure to become a campus campaign manager at your college or take on impressive leadership roles where you actually overcome obstacles to accomplish something. Good oral and written communication skills are important.

Interview Question – What were the biggest challenges you faced in ________? (this specific position on your resume)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate any terms.

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!