Teach for America

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Getting the Interview

154 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was tough. There was a phone interview and then the day long interview. Spent tons of time prepping, because this was the job I was looking for. Sadly, I was not offered a position, but feel the interview experience was overall positive.

Interview Question – Is there any reason you would have for leaving the program early if you were offered a position?   View Answer

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Submit Application, if they like you then you'll then have a phone interview, then submit online assignments, and then final round group interviews in which you'll teach a lesson. followed by an individual interview in which you'll get feedback about your lesson. very in depth interview process but it weeds out the people who aren't truly interested

Interview Question – Have you ever quit anything?   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2011.

Interview Details – TFA is very clear about their interview process. All the rules, requirements, etc. are noted. They even provide online seminars for potential interviewees for help. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my TFA interview experience.

Interview Question – How do you stay organized?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not end up getting the city I desired, and I chose to decline my offer noting that I would potentially apply again in the future.

Teacher Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had an enjoyable interview process, and let me tell you people aren't kidding around when they say it is a competitive process. Everyone was very polite and personable, and I felt like I did great on my interview.

Although I did not get an offer, I have nothing but positive things to say about the whole process. Other than the fatigue that sets in from waiting for the entire interview process to conclude (its easy to start getting nervous with anticipation), the staff and the recruiters did their very best to make the experience as informative and adventurous as possible.

Interview Question – What, if anything, would cause you to quit the program?   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2011.

Interview Details – Long process. The interviews were fun and exciting, but definitely require stamina to remain engaged.

Interview Question – Explain your view on the achievement gap.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview Details – The interview process begins with a phone interview in which you are asked basic questions. After the phone interview you may be invited to a final interview. In this round you must present a five-minute lesson plan on a subject of your choosing, take a skills test, participate in a group problem solving with 8-12 other interviewees, do a role play activity and do a one-on-one interview. The process is quite intimidating and a bit overdone. During my interview all of the other interviewees were very supportive and cordial. Most people were most nervous about the five minute lesson plan, but it seemed like the interviewers cared more about the other parts. I was not offered a position and received little feedback as to why.

Teacher

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2010.

Interview Details – Skills test, then phone interview, then had an all day 1:1 interview.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2009.

Interview Details – I first learned about Teach For America as a sophomore in college. The organization does alot of recruiting at the top undergraduate institutions in the US and looks for students who are highly motivated and able to work towards making a change in the education gap in the United States.

Interview Question – Describe a time that you overcame challenge.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered a job in my field of choice (marketing.)

Teacher

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Teach for America in September 2008.

Interview Details – Teach for America (TFA) has four deadlines. I applied for the first deadline. The process comes in three steps: first, there is an extensive online application requiring essays, resume, references, and recommendation. If accepted to move on, you are then scheduled for a phone interview several weeks later or you can be selected to bypass the phone interview and proceed to the day-long final interview. TFA gives extensively detailed instructions on how to complete each stage and staff members are quick to answer any question, no matter how minute, at any stage of the process. It is only before the final interview that you can rank regions where you want to teach and grade/subject matter. You highly increase your chances if you are flexible with regional placement and are willing to teach special education. There is additional preparation work for the final interview: one must read some background literature on an issue debated in the education world. Additionally, one must come prepared to the final interview with a two minute "sample lesson." This sample lesson can be in any grade or subject. Everyone, myself included, used visual aids of some kind such as maps or handouts. TFA stresses the importance of rehearsing this sample lesson beforehand and expect you to do it without index cards. Being polished and prepared is a huge part of what they are looking for. After everyone in your interview group (all finalists interview on the same day) teaches their lesson, there is a basic skills assessment, a mock school meeting that interviewees participate in as a group, and a question and answer session for your benefit, and then a one-on-one interview. The entire final interview is is conducted by staffers who are former corp. members. They are extremely personable and try hard to put you at ease. Interviewees should come prepared to talk about obstacles they may have faced and how they overcame them, any good group experience with solving problems, and a good answer for why you are interested in TFA. The culture of TFA is very group oriented and very much focuses on solving problems and overcoming challenges. It is drilled into your head that the two years may be the hardest of your life until that point but the consensus is that it's a rewarding experience.

Interview Questions

• How will you address your principal when you are in disagreement about an important situation   View Answer
  • What makes you sure you can keep the two year commitment to TFA   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You can rank your region and your subject/grade but there is no negotiation when you are given an offer. Choose your regions widely and ask yourself how flexible you are willing to be. Keep in mind some of the most needy regions they are looking to fill requires the use of a car.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2009.

Interview Details – Wrote essays for first round, phone interview for second round, and group interview for last round of interviews.

Interview Question – What is a challenge you had to overcome?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teach for America

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teach for America TEACHER interview questions and advice. All 154 interview reviews posted anonymously by Teach for America employees and interview candidates.