Teach for America

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Average Difficulty
162 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – I went through the screening process, phone interview, and final interview. I didn't make it in, but it was a good experience

Interview Question – At the final interview, you are expected to do a short teaching presentation on a subject of your choice to the group. You are told to pretend like you are teaching a grade level of your choice, even if that is not the grade which you would want to teach.   View Answer

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – The interview tests whether you are willing to give up. Meaning, they will push you to give up a certain position (sometimes illogically) and your job is to not give up and to keep fighting.

The reason TFA does this is because they think that if you give in during an interview, you'll give in when the times get tough as a teacher.

Interview Question – No hard technical stuff. Why do you want to do this?   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Begins with a rigorous online application that asks the basic questions and goes into greater detail with a few essays. The essays asked about volunteer experience and why you are pursuing a career with Teach for America. A recruiter from Teach for America will call after you submit your application to see if you have any questions. If your application is selected, you have a phone interview and then an interview in the closest city that has Teach for America.

Interview Question – Why Teach for America?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – I applied last year and got rejected after the final interview. I came back this year, went through the entire process again and still got rejected. I followed every single tip you can find about doing well in a TFA interview. Don't be fooled like I was. It doesn't matter how passionate you are for teaching in underserved communities. They don't care; they are looking for people they can mold into potential government/public officials who will push through legislature conducive to their organization's idealogies. If you want to get through, go through the interview in a business-like manner with the mindset of a politician.

Interview Question – What have you been doing since last year's interview to serve low-income children?
What made you realize you wanted to teach?
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Skipped phone interview. Taught a lesson on public speaking then interviewed about answers to a case study involving a principal who didn't want to implement some program.

Interview Question – Not difficult but be prepared to answer in a lot of detail how you keep organized   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The college where I was supposed to get license was wayyyyyy to expensive and I read a lot I mean a lot of bad reviews of teach for america that soured my acceptance. Even school board meetings where teachers shunned TFA.

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – I had 3 rounds - a written, phone, and in-person interview. It may be 2 now, not sure about that.

I forget the specific questions, but just really understand what you are applying for. You have to show a strong commitment and that means things like talking to alumni and corps members, visiting schools, reading TFA blogs, learning about the education situation in the US, etc. If you can not put in that effort before the interview, there is no way you will survive the job.

Beyond this, most of the interview is behavioral - be able to talk about your experiences well. The questions were fairly standard, but just be prepared as it is difficult to think about anecdotes/examples on the spot.

The biggest difference between TFA interviews and most other places Ivy League kids apply to is that for TFA, you need to show that you really care about this issue and that you're a nice, humble person. You can survive a top consulting firm or I-bank being a jerk if you have strong analytic ability - but with TFA, no amount of smarts will help you if you can't get rid of your ego.

Finally, I'd recommend not trying to be someone you're not. If you need to put a persona to get into TFA, you're not fit for the experience and you're not going to like it. You can BS and tolerate your way through a corporate job to get to the next step in your career - but don't take that approach to TFA. TFA is an extremely tough but rewarding experience that requires an incredible amount of commitment to the cause.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions - forget the specifics   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - you are paid by your school district.

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – The interview process is long and involved. Overall, there is nothing that is too difficult. The first part is a very simple online application, which involves submitting a resume and letter of intent. After that, there is a phone interview and you are required to fill out additional online forms. Next, there is a full day interview where you teach a sample lesson, discuss a topic in a group, and then have a one on one interview.

Interview Question – They asked me about different types of challenges I have faced - personal, academic etc.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – You start off with an initial interview, and then most people get phone interviews as well. The phone interview lasts 30 minutes, and was pretty relaxed for me since it was with a former corps member and she was outgoing and very nice. The downside to the process is that the turnover time between the phone interview, being informed if you made it to the next round, and obtaining recommendations is very short. I had to ask for recommendations before I even knew if I made it to the final interview stage (which I didn't).

Interview Question – When was a time you had to work with someone and had a difficult time?   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details – Long process...application with intent letter, then online activity, phone interview, final interview with sample lesson etc.

Interview Question – Difficult questions when it came to the role playing activity   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details – Application. I honestly think the most important part of the application is the essay. Read over their website extremely thoroughly and make sure you don't raise any red flags by sounding like a privileged college student who wants to come save the poor urban kids.

Phone Interview. Pretty straight forward. The interviewer was nice. 70% of the time was spent on one bullet of my resume. Don't know if that's normal lol. They ask questions about how your experiences relate to what you'd be doing in the classroom.

In-Person Interview
Some of the questions were repeats of questions I'd been asked on the phone. They also asked a few questions about the online video. They asked how do I keep organized/manage my time, we talked about my resume some more. There was a role playing portion where the interviewer acted as a school administrator and I was a teacher requesting something.

Group Activity
In my group this was excruciating. There were a number of douches that actively tried to monopolize all of the talking time. Getting in a word was difficult. It definitely felt like a competition lol. I would say try to make 4 or 5 good points, but don't be the main person talking.

Lesson Plan
THE SIMPLER THE BETTER when it comes to your lesson. And don't procrastinate on it! It will take a lot longer than you think. I would say don't start it less than 5 days in advance. Present it at least 5 times to friends, timed. That's where I messed up *tear* lol

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you missed an assignment/deadline.   Answer Question

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!